Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Keith N. McKenna
It appears we have another problem with a new user not able to reset
their password: See the thread from Ahmed Alawsie. If you could let me
know the steps you were able to resolve the other problems I will take
care of Ahmed's.

As this is the third or fourth time this has happened I tried creating a
new user under my name and a different email. After saving I went to the
change password page and entered my alternate email and received the
standard response about an email being sent with instructions. It has
know been several hours and have not received the instructions via e-mail.

Is there anything else we can do or is it time to submit an infra jira.

Regards
Keith

Re: Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Andrea Pescetti-2
Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> It appears we have another problem with a new user not able to reset
> their password: See the thread from Ahmed Alawsie.

I do read all list mails, don't worry: just, I'm a volunteer like
everybody else, and busy with a full-time job unrelated to OpenOffice.
So it may take a few days before I have time to react.

> If you could let me
> know the steps you were able to resolve the other problems I will take
> care of Ahmed's.

Well, the only (ugly) way out is to open the people management page (the
same you use for creating accounts) and type a password in the password
field (that will appear to be blank when you edit the page). Passwords
of other users will not be affected, even if you see many users in the
same admin screen. At that point you can mail the password to the user.
Of course, I recommend a strong password and I recommend that the user
changes it immediately. If you don't see the (blank) password field you
might be missing some permissions, but I don't think so.

> As this is the third or fourth time this has happened I tried creating a
> new user under my name and a different email. After saving I went to the
> change password page and entered my alternate email and received the
> standard response about an email being sent with instructions. It has
> know been several hours and have not received the instructions via e-mail.

OK, so you got the notification but not the mail. Then let's get this to
Infra. I'll do a check with my account (just to check whether using a
global account, i.e., my committer account, makes any difference) and
submit this to Infra if it fails for me too.

> Is there anything else we can do or is it time to submit an infra jira.

Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after I
verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide )accounts
too. I'll post the link here.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after I
> verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide )accounts
> too.

Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try
doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is
broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for
an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the
global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Ahmad Alawsie
So guys has the problem been fixed or not yet?

Kind regards,

Ahmad

On 1/29/2018 3:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after
>> I verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide
>> )accounts too.
>
> Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try
> doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is
> broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for
> an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the
> global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

This is the response I get when I try to reset using my @apache.org
address: The user account associated with this e-mail address cannot
reset the password.

On 1/29/2018 8:17 PM, Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> So guys has the problem been fixed or not yet?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ahmad
Ahmed;
I have sent you a new password  by private e-mail.  You should now be
able to login.

Please understand that OpenOffice is an all volunteer project and as
such responses on the lists may not be as quick as we might like them to be.

Regards
Keith

>> On 29 Jan 2018, at 20:11, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after I verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide )accounts too.
>> Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

RE: Ping Andrea Another problem withhttps://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Anas Rabie
Hi Keith,

I did sign up couple weeks ago, and still waiting to received the email to reset my password. Can you please help me as well?

Username: utimatios
Email: [hidden email]

I would really appreciate it.

Best,
Anas Rabie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 1/29/2018 8:17 PM, Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> So guys has the problem been fixed or not yet?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ahmad
Ahmed;
I have sent you a new password  by private e-mail.  You should now be
able to login.

Please understand that OpenOffice is an all volunteer project and as
such responses on the lists may not be as quick as we might like them to be.

Regards
Keith

>> On 29 Jan 2018, at 20:11, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after I verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide )accounts too.
>> Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

RE: Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Ahmad Alawsie
Hi all,

Keith, I understand it is an open source project and do not expect swift responses. Meanwhile, I appreciate the fix and hope that anyone registering in the future for a Pootle account does not encounter this problem. However, if one is to encounter this issue or related, please do not hesitate to mail to this mailing list. Also, any new contributor/volunteer, please be aware if anyone needs assistance with anything, ask away and you may be assisted directly, or redirected directly to the relevant section that are available to help. Thanks again to all, I am excited to contribute to this project.

Regards,

Ahmad

On 1/29/2018 8:17 PM, Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> So guys has the problem been fixed or not yet?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ahmad
Ahmed;
I have sent you a new password  by private e-mail.  You should now be
able to login.

Please understand that OpenOffice is an all volunteer project and as
such responses on the lists may not be as quick as we might like them to be.

Regards
Keith

>> On 29 Jan 2018, at 20:11, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after I verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide )accounts too.
>> Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

Re: Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Keith N. McKenna
On 1/29/2018 3:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Thanks for doing all checks. I think I can open the JIRA issue after
>> I verify it's broken for LDAP-authenticated (global, ASF-wide
>> )accounts too.
>
> Ahem, I did get my password reset mail normally. Keith, could you try
> doing the same with your @apache.org address? Could it be that it is
> broken only for external addresses? (By the way, a password change for
> an @apache.org address would be useless as committers login use the
> global, ASF-wide, usernames and passwords).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

This is the response I get when I try to reset using my @apache.org
address: The user account associated with this e-mail address cannot
reset the password.

Andrea; so sorry this reply took so long. I thought I had sent it the
same day you posted. Again I apologize for the lateness of this reply.

On 30/01/2018 Anas Rabie wrote:
> I did sign up couple weeks ago, and still waiting to received the email to reset my password. Can you please help me as well?
> Username: utimatios

Anas, did you ever get your password? Otherwise Keith or me will force
one for you and send it to you offlist.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 06/02/2018 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> This is the response I get when I try to reset using my @apache.org
> address: The user account associated with this e-mail address cannot
> reset the password.

OK, but this is expected then. You probably never logged in with your
committer credentials.

I've created a fake account with a non-Apache address and I've tried the
password reset on it too. I didn't get anything so far, but I'll wait a
bit and maybe make another couple attempts.

Others can do the same by opening
https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/
inserting their e-mail address and (when asked) the CAPTCHA, so that we
can see whether it works. Of course, when you receive the mail you can
just ignore it.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 2/7/2018 11:44 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 30/01/2018 Anas Rabie wrote:
>> I did sign up couple weeks ago, and still waiting to received the
>> email to reset my password. Can you please help me as well?
>> Username: utimatios
>
> Anas, did you ever get your password? Otherwise Keith or me will force
> one for you and send it to you offlist.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Andrea I did send a private e-mail to Anas with a forced password. I
just forgot to send a note to the list saying I had sent it.

On 2/7/2018 12:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 06/02/2018 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> This is the response I get when I try to reset using my @apache.org
>> address: The user account associated with this e-mail address cannot
>> reset the password.
>
> OK, but this is expected then. You probably never logged in with your
> committer credentials.
Actually the only way I have ever logged in is with my committer
credentials.
I just tried again with the on-apache.org test account I created with
the same results as before. I received the notice that the e-mail had
been sent, but as yet I have not received the e-mail to reset.

Regards
Keith

> I've created a fake account with a non-Apache address and I've tried
> the password reset on it too. I didn't get anything so far, but I'll
> wait a bit and maybe make another couple attempts.
>
> Others can do the same by opening
> https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/
> inserting their e-mail address and (when asked) the CAPTCHA, so that
> we can see whether it works. Of course, when you receive the mail you
> can just ignore it.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Ping Andrea Another problem with https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset

Matthias Seidel

> On 06/02/2018 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> This is the response I get when I try to reset using my @apache.org
>> address: The user account associated with this e-mail address cannot
>> reset the password.
>
> OK, but this is expected then. You probably never logged in with your
> committer credentials.
>
> I've created a fake account with a non-Apache address and I've tried
> the password reset on it too. I didn't get anything so far, but I'll
> wait a bit and maybe make another couple attempts.
>
> Others can do the same by opening
> https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/
> inserting their e-mail address and (when asked) the CAPTCHA, so that
> we can see whether it works. Of course, when you receive the mail you
> can just ignore it.
I did a password reset with my private mail address some time ago and
did not receive a mail until now.
There hasn't been a CAPTCHA if there should be one...

Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Matthias Seidel wrote:
> I did a password reset with my private mail address some time ago and
> did not receive a mail until now.

After today's tests it seems clear that the odd case was when I did
receive the mail. In all other cases it failed. I've opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16004 for Infra to take a look.

> There hasn't been a CAPTCHA if there should be one...

In one of my attempts (3, and all unsuccessful, meaning that the mail
was reportedly sent but I never got it, like Keith and you) a CAPTCHA
was shown on the second screen, before the "We've e-mailed you
instructions" message was displayed.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 08/02/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> After today's tests it seems clear that the odd case was when I did
> receive the mail. In all other cases it failed. I've opened
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16004 for Infra to take a look.

Now fixed by Infra. I tried a password reset with my test (non-Apache)
account at https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/ and I
did receive the mail a few minutes later. You can retry too, but I think
the issue can be closed (the server needed whitelisting as a server
allowed to send e-mail).

Regards,
   Andrea

On 2/9/2018 4:43 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 08/02/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> After today's tests it seems clear that the odd case was when I did
>> receive the mail. In all other cases it failed. I've opened
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16004 for Infra to take a
>> look.
>
> Now fixed by Infra. I tried a password reset with my test (non-Apache)
> account at https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/ and I
> did receive the mail a few minutes later. You can retry too, but I
> think the issue can be closed (the server needed whitelisting as a
> server allowed to send e-mail).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea

I tested with my non-apache.org test account and also received the reset
mail. I concur it can be closed.

Am 09.02.2018 um 14:51 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 2/9/2018 4:43 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 08/02/2018 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> After today's tests it seems clear that the odd case was when I did
>>> receive the mail. In all other cases it failed. I've opened
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16004 for Infra to take a
>>> look.
>> Now fixed by Infra. I tried a password reset with my test (non-Apache)
>> account at https://translate.apache.org/accounts/password/reset/ and I
>> did receive the mail a few minutes later. You can retry too, but I
>> think the issue can be closed (the server needed whitelisting as a
>> server allowed to send e-mail).
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea

> I tested with my non-apache.org test account and also received the reset
> mail. I concur it can be closed.
Confirmed!

Regards, Matthias