Platform specific hints on download page

Platform specific hints on download page

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.

(e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )

The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
pending. Feel free to translate!

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Dick Groskamp-2
Op 18-3-2021 om 17:54 schreef Matthias Seidel:

> Hi all,
>
> I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.
>
> (e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )
>
> The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
> pending. Feel free to translate!
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias

Done.  Thanks for that.

--
DiGro

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dick,

Am 18.03.21 um 18:24 schrieb Dick Groskamp:

> Op 18-3-2021 om 17:54 schreef Matthias Seidel:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.
>>
>> (e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )
>>
>> The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
>> pending. Feel free to translate!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>

> Done.  Thanks for that.
And published!

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Maciej Jaros-2
Matthias Seidel (2021-03-18 17:54):

> Hi all,
>
> I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.
>
> (e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )
>
> The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
> pending. Feel free to translate!
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias

Could you maybe do a simple show/hide or accordion or a dialog? That
would be easier to read. And more accessible. You could also just add a
link.

E.g. something like this (re-worded parts of the text too):

```
<a id="platform_info" href="#platform_info_details"
onclick="el=document.getElementById('platform_info_details');el.style.display = el.style.display=='none' ? 'block' : 'none'"
>Important hint: 32-bit, 64-bit and Java - What to choose?</a>

However, it installs and runs also on Windows 64-bit (x86-64).<br>
Please note that you may need 32-bit Java too for some additional functionality.
Proper Java version should be selected after installation (see menu 'Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java').

<a style="display: inline; margin:0; text-decoration:underline"
href="https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html"
>Java and Apache OpenOffice</a>.

```

Regards,
Maciej.

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Matthias Seidel
Hi Maciej,

Am 19.03.21 um 11:23 schrieb Maciej Jaros:

> Matthias Seidel (2021-03-18 17:54):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.
>>
>> (e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )
>>
>> The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
>> pending. Feel free to translate!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>
> Could you maybe do a simple show/hide or accordion or a dialog? That
> would be easier to read. And more accessible. You could also just add
> a link.
Maybe we could, I don't know. I don't write code, I just enabled the
translation. ;-)

> E.g. something like this (re-worded parts of the text too):
>
> ```
> <a id="platform_info" href="#platform_info_details"
> onclick="el=document.getElementById('platform_info_details');el.style.display
> = el.style.display=='none' ? 'block' : 'none'"
>> Important hint: 32-bit, 64-bit and Java - What to choose?</a>

> However, it installs and runs also on Windows 64-bit (x86-64).<br>
> Please note that you may need 32-bit Java too for some additional
> functionality.
> Proper Java version should be selected after installation (see menu
> 'Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java').

> <a style="display: inline; margin:0; text-decoration:underline"
> href="https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html"
>> Java and Apache OpenOffice</a>.

If you would like to help the project with the homepage you could post
on our developer mailing list: [hidden email].

Alternatively you can create a Pull Request on:

https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org

Regards,

   Matthias

> ```
>

> Regards,
> Maciej.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Marcus (OOo)

> Am 19.03.21 um 11:23 schrieb Maciej Jaros:
>> Matthias Seidel (2021-03-18 17:54):
>>> I just added platform hints on all localized download pages.
>>>
>>> (e.g. https://www.openoffice.org/de/download/ )
>>>
>>> The hints are for Windows and Linux at the moment with macOS still
>>> pending. Feel free to translate!
>>>
>> Could you maybe do a simple show/hide or accordion or a dialog? That
>> would be easier to read. And more accessible. You could also just add
>> a link.
> Maybe we could, I don't know. I don't write code, I just enabled the
> translation. ;-)

I've changed the visualization of the platform hints:

https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/download/index.html

Please have a look and tell me if this is better than the previous
"tooltip over the colored button" solution.

PS:
As I'm not really familiar with Mac, does someone know what we maybe
want to tell the Mac users as hint?

Thanks

Marcus

>> E.g. something like this (re-worded parts of the text too):
>>
>> ```
>> <a id="platform_info" href="#platform_info_details"
>> onclick="el=document.getElementById('platform_info_details');el.style.display
>> = el.style.display=='none' ? 'block' : 'none'"
>>> Important hint: 32-bit, 64-bit and Java - What to choose?</a>

>> However, it installs and runs also on Windows 64-bit (x86-64).<br>
>> Please note that you may need 32-bit Java too for some additional
>> functionality.
>> Proper Java version should be selected after installation (see menu
>> 'Tools - Options - OpenOffice - Java').

>> <a style="display: inline; margin:0; text-decoration:underline"
>> href="https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html"
>>> Java and Apache OpenOffice</a>.

> If you would like to help the project with the homepage you could post
> on our developer mailing list: [hidden email].
>
> Alternatively you can create a Pull Request on:
>
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org

Re: Platform specific hints on download page

Czesław Wolański
Hi Marcus,

IMHO it's better (the "What's a language pack?" link opens a new window
too).
Others have every right to... disagree - see [1] below.

The linked page:
https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/download/platform_hints.html

First line of text (in bold italics) reads: "Apache OpenOffice - Important
hints for the choosen platform"
Shouldn't "choosen" be replaced with "chosen"?

Regards,
Czesław

[1]
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/new-browser-windows-and-tabs/

Am 05.04.21 um 14:28 schrieb Czesław Wolański:
> IMHO it's better (the "What's a language pack?" link opens a new window
> too).

thanks for your feedback. :-)

> Others have every right to... disagree - see [1] below.
>

> The linked page:
> https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/download/platform_hints.html
>
> First line of text (in bold italics) reads: "Apache OpenOffice - Important
> hints for the choosen platform"
> Shouldn't "choosen" be replaced with "chosen"?

Right, a typo that is often made. Will be fixed with the next update.

Marcus