Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Pedro Giffuni
Hi guys;

It seems like the imminent release of 4.1.4 got stuck and it is not
clear if it will happen or when. Sadly, I don't really see anything
interesting that 4.1.4 will add to 4.1.3.

I find it terribly demotivating to spend time on AOO's trunk when it's
not clear if it will see the light of a release and there is basically
no chance to merge the interesting updates (or even the fonts) to 4.1.4.

Can you please reconsider releasing 4.2.0? It doesn't really matter if
you want to take longer for the release cycle but at least we would all
be on the same page.

Pedro.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 12/03/2017 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> It seems like the imminent release of 4.1.4 got stuck and it is not
> clear if it will happen or when. Sadly, I don't really see anything
> interesting that 4.1.4 will add to 4.1.3.

Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February for
the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still is)
supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes for 4.1.3.

> Can you please reconsider releasing 4.2.0?

Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to release
4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to be a
Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I honestly
think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making available
somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can start
already now.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Jose R R
Niltze [Hello]!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/03/2017 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>
>> It seems like the imminent release of 4.1.4 got stuck and it is not
>> clear if it will happen or when. Sadly, I don't really see anything
>> interesting that 4.1.4 will add to 4.1.3.
>

> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February for the
> release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still is) supposed
> to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes for 4.1.3.
>
>> Can you please reconsider releasing 4.2.0?
>

> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to release
> 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to be a Release
> Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I honestly think we will
> want to "release" (in the sense of making available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0
> too, so work in that direction can start already now.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Other than builds of ApacheOO 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 on Debian
Jessie(Stable), Stretch(Testing), and Sid(Unstable) -- yielding
DEBS/RPMS built with en-US, de, and ru language support -- I don't
have experience as a 'release manager'. On the other hand, I am always
willing to learn -- especially if no one more experienced, with more
certitude (and famous) volunteers for the task -- as I don't want
AOO's potential to stagnate.

AOO in Enlightenment:
< https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6txmqTU4AAugKR.jpg >

Notwithstanding, I have become somewhat annoyed that a build
requirement libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev does not enable AOO to
embed media like *.mp4 < https://metztli.it/blog/index.php/aH9?blog=4
> -- I *assume* that libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev will fulfill
that need:
< https://metztli.it/Symphony >

Please note that I have not built AOO from trunk, so maybe the issue
immediately above has already been resolved -- or not.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
P.S. As a 'crabby hacker' (not coder ;-) I don't pretend to be

Also, the .it at the end of my domain stands for Information
Technology -- I am not 'Italian' and only have a circumstantial
business relation to that country ;-)

http://metztli.it

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Matthias Seidel

> On 12/03/2017 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> It seems like the imminent release of 4.1.4 got stuck and it is not
>> clear if it will happen or when. Sadly, I don't really see anything
>> interesting that 4.1.4 will add to 4.1.3.
>
> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February
> for the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still
> is) supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes
> for 4.1.3.
>
>> Can you please reconsider releasing 4.2.0?
>
> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to
> release 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to
> be a Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I
> honestly think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making
> available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can
> start already now.
+1

Regards, Matthias

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Jim Jagielski
I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...

> On Mar 14, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 13.03.2017 um 23:56 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> On 12/03/2017 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> It seems like the imminent release of 4.1.4 got stuck and it is not
>>> clear if it will happen or when. Sadly, I don't really see anything
>>> interesting that 4.1.4 will add to 4.1.3.
>>
>> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February
>> for the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still
>> is) supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes
>> for 4.1.3.
>>
>>> Can you please reconsider releasing 4.2.0?
>>
>> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to
>> release 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to
>> be a Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I
>> honestly think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making
>> available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can
>> start already now.
>
> +1
>
> Regards, Matthias
>

>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

jjmeric
o, thanks, that would be nice! Can I send the Extension (oxt file) to
you (and instructions) ?

(I too have OSX here, in add. to Windowas and Ubuntu)
JJ
Le 20/03/2017 à 14:20, Jim Jagielski a écrit :

> I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...
>
>> On Mar 14, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February
>>> for the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still
>>> is) supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes
>>> for 4.1.3.

>>> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to
>>> release 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to
>>> be a Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I
>>> honestly think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making
>>> available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can
>>> start already now.
>> +1
>>
>> Regards, Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

jjmeric
oops sorry, not replying to the post I thought I was replying too...
pease discard my reply.

Le 20/03/2017 à 14:20, Jim Jagielski a écrit :

> I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...
>
>> On Mar 14, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February
>>> for the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still
>>> is) supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes
>>> for 4.1.3.

>>> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to
>>> release 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to
>>> be a Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I
>>> honestly think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making
>>> available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can
>>> start already now.
>> +1
>>
>> Regards, Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Jim Jagielski
To be clear, there doesn't seem to be a specific 4.2.0 branch...
So will be looking at trunk/HEAD

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...
>
>> On Mar 14, 2017, at 6:21 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it seems stuck indeed. I expected Ariel to target mid-February
>>> for the release. I can still help building on Linux. 4.1.4 was (still
>>> is) supposed to be a maintenance release just to push some bugfixes
>>> for 4.1.3.

>>> Nothing forbids to plan for 4.2.0 already now. We don't need to
>>> release 4.1.4 before thinking about 4.2.0. If someone is available to
>>> be a Release Manager for 4.2.0, things can go on in parallel. I
>>> honestly think we will want to "release" (in the sense of making
>>> available somehow) a beta of 4.2.0 too, so work in that direction can
>>> start already now.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Regards, Matthias
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Marcus (OOo)
Am 20.03.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> To be clear, there doesn't seem to be a specific 4.2.0 branch...
> So will be looking at trunk/HEAD

yes, at the moment trunk can be seen as the 4.2.0 "branch". We need to
create a real one once it is necesary.

Marcus

>> On Mar 20, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Matthias Seidel

If you get a successful build of AOO 4.2.0 on macOS, can you please have
a look at the graphics during the installation?

I updated them with the new ASF logo but could only check it for the
Windows installer...

Kind regards, Matthias

Am 20.03.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

> To be clear, there doesn't seem to be a specific 4.2.0 branch...
> So will be looking at trunk/HEAD
>
>> On Mar 20, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can see how 4.2.0-dev builds/works on OSX/macOS...

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Please someone release 4.2.0 (or something else ...)

Pedro Giffuni
Hello;

Testing on the Mac is specially welcome. I am not sure the gbuild
changes have been tested well there, so that's something to look at.

I think it may be a good idea to use "--with-alloc=system",and that
applies to 4.1.x as well.

Pedro.