Pootle server running slow?

Claudio Filho
Hi

I found a strange behavior in the pootle server. When i try see the
strings where need attention, it returns a 502 error. Going by other
ways, like the Revision or Translate tabs, I can find some strings
that need work, but incredible slow.

Do I'm some mistake or incorrect action? Or we have some problem in
the pootle? I find this problem only when use the links like "XXXX
words need attention". And a page as example  of this error is
here[1], returning the msg bellow. I used differents links, from
differents parts in my country and differents bandwidths.
------
Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET
/pt_BR/OOo_34_help/source/text/scalc/01.po/translate/.

Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) Server at translate.apache.org Port 443
------

[1]https://translate.apache.org/pt_BR/OOo_34_help/source/text/sbasic/shared.po/translate/?matchnames=hassuggestion

Bests,
Claudio

Re: Pootle server running slow?

Jürgen Schmidt-3
Hi Claudio,

The Pootle server is of course not very fast :-( but I can't reproduce
your problem 100%. For me it works as expected and I can click on the
"xxx words need attention" links. But sometimes I get the same error and
I assume it is the Pootle software which has sometimes problems with the
memory management. In case of an error I simply tried a reload and then
it worked most often.

I hope it becomes better when we update to a newer version of Pootle or
maybe we can upgrade the server.

Juergen

On 12/18/12 11:35 PM, Claudio Filho wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found a strange behavior in the pootle server. When i try see the
> strings where need attention, it returns a 502 error. Going by other
> ways, like the Revision or Translate tabs, I can find some strings
> that need work, but incredible slow.
>
> Do I'm some mistake or incorrect action? Or we have some problem in
> the pootle? I find this problem only when use the links like "XXXX
> words need attention". And a page as example  of this error is
> here[1], returning the msg bellow. I used differents links, from
> differents parts in my country and differents bandwidths.
> ------
> Proxy Error
>
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> The proxy server could not handle the request GET
> /pt_BR/OOo_34_help/source/text/scalc/01.po/translate/.
>
> Reason: Error reading from remote server
>
> Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) Server at translate.apache.org Port 443
> ------
>
> [1]https://translate.apache.org/pt_BR/OOo_34_help/source/text/sbasic/shared.po/translate/?matchnames=hassuggestion
>
> Bests,
> Claudio

Re: Pootle server running slow?

Claudio Filho
Hi Jurgen

2012/12/19 Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
> The Pootle server is of course not very fast :-( but I can't reproduce
> your problem 100%. For me it works as expected and I can click on the
> "xxx words need attention" links. But sometimes I get the same error and
> I assume it is the Pootle software which has sometimes problems with the
> memory management. In case of an error I simply tried a reload and then
> it worked most often

Unhappily, with me is 9 of 10 tentatives. Is a *very paciente* work.
Anyway, I will continue trying.

Thanks! :-)
Claudio

Re: Pootle server running slow?

Claudio Filho
Hi

Only giving a feedback about this situation of pootle (running slow),
i saw that it is running better, giving conditions to work normally
again. I not know if was made some thing, like upgrade or tunning, but
i returned in the revision of pt-BR.

In other hand, is possible to add more one option in file import? We
have this options:
[ ]  Merge the file with the current file and turn conflicts into suggestions
[ ] Add all new translations as suggestions

Is possible some thing like:
[ ] Merge the file with the current file and overwrite conflicts ?

I explain my point. I have a string's part with space. An example:

"<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline select="MAC">Command
</caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"

and the correct is:
"<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline
select="MAC">Command</caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"

A simple space after the word "Command" (...>Command <... =>
...>Command<...). In my machine, I can replace this string inside this
file very easely. I have +- 1k strings with this problem in swrite
files.

Some tip or workaround for this problem?

Bests,
Claudio

2012/12/19 Claudio Filho <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Jurgen
>
> 2012/12/19 Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
>> The Pootle server is of course not very fast :-( but I can't reproduce
>> your problem 100%. For me it works as expected and I can click on the
>> "xxx words need attention" links. But sometimes I get the same error and
>> I assume it is the Pootle software which has sometimes problems with the
>> memory management. In case of an error I simply tried a reload and then
>> it worked most often
>
> Unhappily, with me is 9 of 10 tentatives. Is a *very paciente* work.
> Anyway, I will continue trying.
>
> Thanks! :-)
> Claudio

Re: Pootle server running slow?

jan i
Hi

On 31 January 2013 13:36, Claudio Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Only giving a feedback about this situation of pootle (running slow),
> i saw that it is running better, giving conditions to work normally
> again. I not know if was made some thing, like upgrade or tunning, but
> i returned in the revision of pt-BR.

We have done some minor tuning on the VM, it should not give a big
performance boost, but great if it does.

There are some major changes planned which I will do over the comming time.

> In other hand, is possible to add more one option in file import? We
> have this options:
> [ ]  Merge the file with the current file and turn conflicts into
> suggestions
> [ ] Add all new translations as suggestions

We are are waiting for  version 2.5 to be released (is in beta now). Once
2.5 is released we will do a upgrade and look at the available option.

The option you ask for, is one I would like to see as well. In the current
version it would be a security risk (if uploaded by non-committers), but I
have heard that the new version has new possibilities.

> Is possible some thing like:
> [ ] Merge the file with the current file and overwrite conflicts ?

No thils will problaly not be possible. changed will be marked as
suggestions.

> I explain my point. I have a string's part with space. An example:
>
> "<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline select="MAC">Command
> </caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"
>
> and the correct is:
> "<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline
>
> select="MAC">Command</caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"
>
> A simple space after the word "Command" (...>Command <... =>
> ...>Command<...). In my machine, I can replace this string inside this
> file very easely. I have +- 1k strings with this problem in swrite
> files.
>
> Some tip or workaround for this problem?

Correct the file and talk with jürgen, if the quality is ok he can put
directly it into the db

rgds
Jan I

2013/1/31 janI <[hidden email]>:
> The option you ask for, is one I would like to see as well. In the current
> version it would be a security risk (if uploaded by non-committers), but I
> have heard that the new version has new possibilities.

Thanks by your update, Jani.

>> Some tip or workaround for this problem?
>>
> Correct the file and talk with jürgen, if the quality is ok he can put
> directly it into the db

This was the workaround that I need. Thanks again. ;-)

Bests,
Claudio

Re: Pootle server running slow?

Dick Groskamp
Op 31-1-2013 13:36, Claudio Filho schreef:

> Hi
>
> Only giving a feedback about this situation of pootle (running slow),
> i saw that it is running better, giving conditions to work normally
> again. I not know if was made some thing, like upgrade or tunning, but
> i returned in the revision of pt-BR.
>
> In other hand, is possible to add more one option in file import? We
> have this options:
> [ ]  Merge the file with the current file and turn conflicts into suggestions
> [ ] Add all new translations as suggestions
>
> Is possible some thing like:
> [ ] Merge the file with the current file and overwrite conflicts ?
>
> I explain my point. I have a string's part with space. An example:
>
> "<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline select="MAC">Command
> </caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"
>
> and the correct is:
> "<switchinline select="sys"><caseinline
> select="MAC">Command</caseinline><defaultinline>Ctrl</defaultinline></switchinline>+Shift+Tab"
>
> A simple space after the word "Command" (...>Command <... =>
> ...>Command<...). In my machine, I can replace this string inside this
> file very easely. I have +- 1k strings with this problem in swrite
> files.
>
> Some tip or workaround for this problem?
>
> Bests,
> Claudio
>
> 2012/12/19 Claudio Filho <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Jurgen
>>
>> 2012/12/19 Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
>>> The Pootle server is of course not very fast :-( but I can't reproduce
>>> your problem 100%. For me it works as expected and I can click on the
>>> "xxx words need attention" links. But sometimes I get the same error and
>>> I assume it is the Pootle software which has sometimes problems with the
>>> memory management. In case of an error I simply tried a reload and then
>>> it worked most often
>> Unhappily, with me is 9 of 10 tentatives. Is a *very paciente* work.
>> Anyway, I will continue trying.
>>
>> Thanks! :-)
>> Claudio
Claudio,

regarding your example, as I see it the space should be there.  If not
you will end up wit  "CommandCtrl+Shift+Tab"
but I assume it should, also on a MAC, be  "Command Ctrl+Shift+Tab"
(thus space included), which should be the right frase

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)