Possible Corrupted File

Meadhbh Hayden
Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text had
been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to me
my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
(p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
Im absolutely really sorry, but I am not really trained in this field. I
was only trained to 16. I have a BSc in chemistry, 1st, Best of year, Msc
Pharmacology, PhD Chemistry & NIH fellowship. I've had seizures, so they
won't let me work in a science lab anymore, or drive. I'm trying to advance
my computer skills because of this, but I am not there yet. Best guess, I
can give is you to try & look for Hard Drive data recovery experts, such as:
https://www.rapid-data.net
That was just the first I found, I had to hunt round. If this was 4 or 5
years on I would be more than happy to help but I am changing fields as a
result of a massive run of bad luck
Best regards
John

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text had
> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to me
> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
Bear in mind the person you are going to be looking for will, have at least
a good BSc. If someone comes up to you with GCSE's or A levels you are
being conned. Check their credentials. Again, I am sorry, I'm still
training, maybe try looking in Macworld or something similar for PC's data
recovery etc
Best Regards
John

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im absolutely really sorry, but I am not really trained in this field. I
> was only trained to 16. I have a BSc in chemistry, 1st, Best of year, Msc
> Pharmacology, PhD Chemistry & NIH fellowship. I've had seizures, so they
> won't let me work in a science lab anymore, or drive. I'm trying to advance
> my computer skills because of this, but I am not there yet. Best guess, I
> can give is you to try & look for Hard Drive data recovery experts, such as:
> https://www.rapid-data.net
> That was just the first I found, I had to hunt round. If this was 4 or 5
> years on I would be more than happy to help but I am changing fields as a
> result of a massive run of bad luck
> Best regards
> John
>
> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text had
>> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
>> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to
>> me
>> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
>> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
>> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
>> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
Could you send me an easily contactable email, I may know a good guy in the
field. ABSOLUTELY NO PROMISES
John

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bear in mind the person you are going to be looking for will, have at
> least a good BSc. If someone comes up to you with GCSE's or A levels you
> are being conned. Check their credentials. Again, I am sorry, I'm still
> training, maybe try looking in Macworld or something similar for PC's data
> recovery etc
> Best Regards
> John
>
> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Im absolutely really sorry, but I am not really trained in this field. I
>> was only trained to 16. I have a BSc in chemistry, 1st, Best of year, Msc
>> Pharmacology, PhD Chemistry & NIH fellowship. I've had seizures, so they
>> won't let me work in a science lab anymore, or drive. I'm trying to advance
>> my computer skills because of this, but I am not there yet. Best guess, I
>> can give is you to try & look for Hard Drive data recovery experts, such as:
>> https://www.rapid-data.net
>> That was just the first I found, I had to hunt round. If this was 4 or 5
>> years on I would be more than happy to help but I am changing fields as a
>> result of a massive run of bad luck
>> Best regards
>> John
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text
>>> had
>>> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
>>> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to
>>> me
>>> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
>>> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
>>> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
>>> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 08/07/17 20:16, John Miller wrote:
> Bear in mind the person you are going to be looking for will, have at
> least a good BSc. If someone comes up to you with GCSE's or A levels
> you are being conned. Check their credentials. Again, I am sorry, I'm
> still training, maybe try looking in Macworld or something similar
> for PC's data recovery etc Best Regards John

That's downright insulting and entirely incorrect, and from the synopsis
of your career history - self-confessedly "learning computing" - you're
hardly qualified to make such sweeping statements.

[cut]

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Hagar Delest-2

Sorry, few chances to repair it. See here however: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056

Beware, you're not subscribed to the list.

Hagar

Le 08/07/2017 à 20:40, Meadhbh Hayden a écrit :
> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text had
> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to me
> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
I was just trying to help someone, but I tried to get my Mac sorted on my PHD. & a younger said & I quote:
“Do you have the recovery disc?”
If I was working at that level, I wouldn’t need help., if I needed someone to help me find the recovery disc, I would be using both hands to help me find my arse.
So, can can YOU? Make sweeping statements of Nobel Prize winner Robert B. Woodward synthesis of LSD? Or maybe is synthesis of strychnine?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_total_synthesis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_total_synthesis>
I am sure you could do that at his age COULDN’T YOU?
AS I SAID, IF YOU READ< MY EMAIL (BTW DID YOU?). I only turned back to computing because  I am no longer allowed to work in a lab through ill health. I’m only I quote “LEARNING COMPUTING” because I was too ill to continue in my old career path. But maybe you could use me for transplant organs or “SOYLENT GREEN” like this?
I’m sure that is much more at your “ETHICAL STANDARDS”. My sister a 2:2, said I should be “CLEANING TOILETS” because I have cubital tunnel syndrome, a withered right arm. I am trying to get back on my feet after doing, 7 years of post A level degrees & 4 yrs of postdocs, but Hell, you are good enough (like many others I have been victimised by) to attack people who are disabled. A person with Multiple Sclerosis who had to get ho me before the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back earlier. A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council estate because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY BRAVE AS REPLYING WITH YOUR NAME.
Perhaps, if you would like to continue this conversation you would give it?

> On 8 Jul 2017, at 20:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 08/07/17 20:16, John Miller wrote:
>> Bear in mind the person you are going to be looking for will, have at
>> least a good BSc. If someone comes up to you with GCSE's or A levels
>> you are being conned. Check their credentials. Again, I am sorry, I'm
>> still training, maybe try looking in Macworld or something similar
>> for PC's data recovery etc Best Regards John
>
> That's downright insulting and entirely incorrect, and from the synopsis
> of your career history - self-confessedly "learning computing" - you're
> hardly qualified to make such sweeping statements.
>
> [cut]

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Dave Fisher
Hi John,

So troubled by your issues and I truly wish you all the best.

Let's clarify something there is a difference between a recovery disk, a backup and the trouble with ###### in files.

(1) A recovery disk is used if the OS has been corrupted. It will allow you to recover your system, but the result may be the loss of all your data.
(2) A backup can be of your whole computer's files or of your important work files. It is always a good idea to backup your work frequently.
(3) The ##### issue is related to an OpenOffice usability bug related to various events like turning off your computer's power while saving your file.

There is a connection between (1) and (3) as turning off your computer may cause issues leading to needing (1). Computer manufacturers have worked hard over the years to reduce (1).

Another way that (1) can be needed is disk drive failure. Drives typical have lifetimes of 50,000 hours, but that is a mean time.

I've slightly simplified this and things are improving with time.

The AOO Developers are aware of the #### problem.

PEOPLE BACKUP YOUR FILES!

AND PLEASE BE NICE TO EACH OTHER!

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 8, 2017, at 1:21 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was just trying to help someone, but I tried to get my Mac sorted on my PHD. & a younger said & I quote:
> “Do you have the recovery disc?”
> If I was working at that level, I wouldn’t need help., if I needed someone to help me find the recovery disc, I would be using both hands to help me find my arse.
> So, can can YOU? Make sweeping statements of Nobel Prize winner Robert B. Woodward synthesis of LSD? Or maybe is synthesis of strychnine?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_total_synthesis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strychnine_total_synthesis>
> I am sure you could do that at his age COULDN’T YOU?
> AS I SAID, IF YOU READ< MY EMAIL (BTW DID YOU?). I only turned back to computing because  I am no longer allowed to work in a lab through ill health. I’m only I quote “LEARNING COMPUTING” because I was too ill to continue in my old career path. But maybe you could use me for transplant organs or “SOYLENT GREEN” like this?
> I’m sure that is much more at your “ETHICAL STANDARDS”. My sister a 2:2, said I should be “CLEANING TOILETS” because I have cubital tunnel syndrome, a withered right arm. I am trying to get back on my feet after doing, 7 years of post A level degrees & 4 yrs of postdocs, but Hell, you are good enough (like many others I have been victimised by) to attack people who are disabled. A person with Multiple Sclerosis who had to get ho me before the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back earlier. A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council estate because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY BRAVE AS REPLYING WITH YOUR NAME.
> Perhaps, if you would like to continue this conversation you would give it?
>
>> On 8 Jul 2017, at 20:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/07/17 20:16, John Miller wrote:
>>> Bear in mind the person you are going to be looking for will, have at
>>> least a good BSc. If someone comes up to you with GCSE's or A levels
>>> you are being conned. Check their credentials. Again, I am sorry, I'm
>>> still training, maybe try looking in Macworld or something similar
>>> for PC's data recovery etc Best Regards John
>>
>> That's downright insulting and entirely incorrect, and from the synopsis
>> of your career history - self-confessedly "learning computing" - you're
>> hardly qualified to make such sweeping statements.
>>
>> [cut]

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
I honestly, didn't want to say anything bad to anyone. Yesterday, there was
about a 1 inch spider in the sink. Got a piece of paper & tried to help it
out. I'm sorry, it would rip my sole out to hurt another animal. I could
not live with myself. Sadly it seems mobile.
`how do you make another animal, whole again?
After, sigh, the difficulties of the world?
I despair?
I just wanted to make the world a better place, but it was forlorn.
I apologise, for my failure

John

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but
> because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back earlier.
> A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council estate
> because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope
> you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY
> BRAVE AS REPLYING WITH YOUR NAME.
> > Perhaps, if you would like to continue this conversation you would give
> it?
> >
> >> On 8 Jul 2017, at 20:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> That's downright insulting and entirely incorrect, and from the synopsis
> >> of your career history - self-confessedly "learning computing" - you're
> >> hardly qualified to make such sweeping statements.

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
Spoke to a friend, with more experience, He suggested this might help:
http://www.andybrain.com/archive/mb/open-office-data-recovery.htm
But it seems you are in difficult terrain here, from the best I can gather,
sorry.

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im absolutely really sorry, but I am not really trained in this field. I
> was only trained to 16. I have a BSc in chemistry, 1st, Best of year, Msc
> Pharmacology, PhD Chemistry & NIH fellowship. I've had seizures, so they
> won't let me work in a science lab anymore, or drive. I'm trying to advance
> my computer skills because of this, but I am not there yet. Best guess, I
> can give is you to try & look for Hard Drive data recovery experts, such as:
> https://www.rapid-data.net
> That was just the first I found, I had to hunt round. If this was 4 or 5
> years on I would be more than happy to help but I am changing fields as a
> result of a massive run of bad luck
> Best regards
> John
>
> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text had
>> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
>> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to
>> me
>> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
>> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
>> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
>> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
When I said it would need someone with high skills, all I was trying to do
was spell out the high difficulty level of the problem. I was not trying to
offend or insult anyone
& I was offering anything I could do for free. I was just trying to make
the world a better place
John

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 6:07 AM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Spoke to a friend, with more experience, He suggested this might help:
> http://www.andybrain.com/archive/mb/open-office-data-recovery.htm
> But it seems you are in difficult terrain here, from the best I can
> gather, sorry.
>
> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Im absolutely really sorry, but I am not really trained in this field. I
>> was only trained to 16. I have a BSc in chemistry, 1st, Best of year, Msc
>> Pharmacology, PhD Chemistry & NIH fellowship. I've had seizures, so they
>> won't let me work in a science lab anymore, or drive. I'm trying to advance
>> my computer skills because of this, but I am not there yet. Best guess, I
>> can give is you to try & look for Hard Drive data recovery experts, such as:
>> https://www.rapid-data.net
>> That was just the first I found, I had to hunt round. If this was 4 or 5
>> years on I would be more than happy to help but I am changing fields as a
>> result of a massive run of bad luck
>> Best regards
>> John
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, today i opened a word file (ODT format) and found that all my text
>>> had
>>> been replaced with hashtag (#) symbols. I was also shown an ASCII filter
>>> pop up. I have looked at some support posts in the forum and it seems to
>>> me
>>> my file may be corrupted. Is there any way i can get my file back? I have
>>> over 30 pages of writing that i would rather not rewrite!
>>> (p.s; i am not that great with computers so if you have instructions for
>>> me, please use english thanks)

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Meadhbh Hayden
Honestly i dont care how 'qualified' you computer nerds are. Chill out
everyone xxx

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 10:03 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > a withered right arm. I am trying to get back on my feet after doing, 7
> > years of post A level degrees & 4 yrs of postdocs, but Hell, you are good
> > enough (like many others I have been victimised by) to attack people who
> > are disabled. A person with Multiple Sclerosis who had to get ho me
> before
> > the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but
> > because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back
> earlier.
> > A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council
> estate
> > because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope
> > you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY
> > BRAVE AS REPLYING WITH YOUR NAME.
> > > Perhaps, if you would like to continue this conversation you would give

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Dave Fisher
Exactly. What counts here is helping people.

I hope you found some help solving your troubles.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>> said I should be “CLEANING TOILETS” because I have cubital tunnel
>> syndrome,
>>> a withered right arm. I am trying to get back on my feet after doing, 7
>>> years of post A level degrees & 4 yrs of postdocs, but Hell, you are good
>>> enough (like many others I have been victimised by) to attack people who
>>> are disabled. A person with Multiple Sclerosis who had to get ho me
>> before
>>> the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but
>>> because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back
>> earlier.
>>> A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council
>> estate
>>> because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope
>>> you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Martin Rosenfeld
John,

> I honestly, didn't want to say anything bad to anyone. Yesterday, there was
> about a 1 inch spider in the sink. Got a piece of paper & tried to help it
> out. I'm sorry, it would rip my sole out to hurt another animal. I could
> not live with myself.

Are you as compassionate with computer bugs?

Martin

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Steven Ahlers
I drown the spiders in my bathtub every morning 🙃

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
>> I honestly, didn't want to say anything bad to anyone. Yesterday, there was
>> about a 1 inch spider in the sink. Got a piece of paper & tried to help it
>> out. I'm sorry, it would rip my sole out to hurt another animal. I could
>> not live with myself.
>
> Are you as compassionate with computer bugs?
>
> Martin

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
I guess, it is very true. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Exactly. What counts here is helping people.
>
> I hope you found some help solving your troubles.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 9, 2017, at 12:00 PM, Meadhbh Hayden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Honestly i dont care how 'qualified' you computer nerds are. Chill out
> > everyone xxx
> >
> >> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 10:03 PM, John Miller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I honestly, didn't want to say anything bad to anyone. Yesterday, there
> was
> >> about a 1 inch spider in the sink. Got a piece of paper & tried to help
> it
> >> out. I'm sorry, it would rip my sole out to hurt another animal. I could
> >> not live with myself. Sadly it seems mobile.
> >> `how do you make another animal, whole again?
> >> After, sigh, the difficulties of the world?
> >> I despair?
> >> I just wanted to make the world a better place, but it was forlorn.
> >> I apologise, for my failure
> >>
> >> John

> >> data.

> >> may

> typical

> transplant
> >> 2:2,
> >> syndrome,
> good
> who
> >> before
> >> earlier.
> >> estate
> hope
> MASSIVELY
> give

> at
> I'm

> >> synopsis
> >> you're

Re: Possible Corrupted File

John Miller
I strongly suggest you get this guy off me, or I will Contact the POLICE.
He has sent me the iWorm Reddit virus. I may not have a PhD in computer
Science, but I do have one in chemistry. I can find his IP address & the
place can track him
Best regards
Dave

> [...]

> the school kids came home, not because, he had done anything wrong, but
> because he was”wobbly” & would be victimised if he didn’t get back earlier.
> A guy (& BTW I am sure I can find it) who couldn’t live on a council estate
> because he had Spina Bifydia, so was addressed as “NAPPY BOY”. So I hope
> you feel you have reached you’re Nadir. BTW thanks for being so MASSIVELY
> BRAVE AS REPLYING WITH YOUR NAME.
> > Perhaps, if you would like to continue this conversation you would give
> it?
> >
> >> On 8 Jul 2017, at 20:53, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> That's downright insulting and entirely incorrect, and from the synopsis
> >> of your career history - self-confessedly "learning computing" - you're
> >> hardly qualified to make such sweeping statements.

Re: Possible Corrupted File

Martin Groenescheij

On 21/07/17 9:32 AM, John Miller wrote:
> I strongly suggest you get this guy off me

Well you can do it yourself by putting him on your blacklist.

> , or I will Contact the POLICE.

And what are you gone to tell the POLICE?

> He has sent me the iWorm Reddit virus.

How did he do that? His reply was to [hidden email] not
even an Cc to you.
And if his email had contained a virus thousands of us should had the
same issue.