Possible Fraudulent Seller

Robert Alvord
Hello.  I'm a big fan of your Open Office software and have used it
occasionally for personal work.  I just ran into a seller's site on Amazon
who is making money off your work, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.  I
thought I would bring it to your attention.

https://smile.amazon.com/Markt-Technik/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_15352299011?ie=UTF8&node=15352299011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Markt%2BTechnik

Re: Possible Fraudulent Seller

James Knott
On 01/02/2018 02:39 PM, Robert Alvord wrote:
> Hello.  I'm a big fan of your Open Office software and have used it
> occasionally for personal work.  I just ran into a seller's site on Amazon
> who is making money off your work, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.  I
> thought I would bring it to your attention.
>
> https://smile.amazon.com/Markt-Technik/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_15352299011?ie=UTF8&node=15352299011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Markt%2BTechnik

It's not illegal to sell copies of OpenOffice.  In fact, selling it on a
CD is a useful service for those who cannot download it.  However, some
load it up with crapware.  Also, what is "Premium Edition"?  Another
issue is those who promise support and then send their customers here.

Re: Possible Fraudulent Seller

Dave Fisher

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 12:35 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 01/02/2018 02:39 PM, Robert Alvord wrote:
>> Hello.  I'm a big fan of your Open Office software and have used it
>> occasionally for personal work.  I just ran into a seller's site on Amazon
>> who is making money off your work, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.  I
>> thought I would bring it to your attention.
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Markt-Technik/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_15352299011?ie=UTF8&node=15352299011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Markt%2BTechnik
>>

> It's not illegal to sell copies of OpenOffice.  In fact, selling it on a
> CD is a useful service for those who cannot download it.  However, some
> load it up with crapware.  Also, what is "Premium Edition"?  Another
> issue is those who promise support and then send their customers here.
They also don’t do very well at respecting the Apache OpenOffice trademarks by using old or altered Logos. If they are repackaging the builds or doing their own builds then it can be doubtful that the consumer is getting a valid version or even which version is being sold. If these 2018 versions have 4.1.4 then users WILL WANT to download 4.1.5!

Regards,
Dave

Re: Possible Fraudulent Seller

Robert Alvord
I wasn't sure it was actually a problem, but thought I would bring it to
your attention.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jan 2, 2018, at 12:35 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 01/02/2018 02:39 PM, Robert Alvord wrote:
> >> Hello.  I'm a big fan of your Open Office software and have used it
> >> occasionally for personal work.  I just ran into a seller's site on
> Amazon
> >> who is making money off your work, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.  I
> >> thought I would bring it to your attention.
> >>
> >> https://smile.amazon.com/Markt-Technik/b/ref=bl_dp_s_
> web_15352299011?ie=UTF8&node=15352299011&field-lbr_brands_
> browse-bin=Markt%2BTechnik
> >>

> > It's not illegal to sell copies of OpenOffice.  In fact, selling it on a
> > CD is a useful service for those who cannot download it.  However, some
> > load it up with crapware.  Also, what is "Premium Edition"?  Another
> > issue is those who promise support and then send their customers here.
>
> They also don’t do very well at respecting the Apache OpenOffice
> trademarks by using old or altered Logos. If they are repackaging the
> builds or doing their own builds then it can be doubtful that the consumer
> is getting a valid version or even which version is being sold. If these
> 2018 versions have 4.1.4 then users WILL WANT to download 4.1.5!
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Re: Possible Fraudulent Seller

Maurice Howe-2
TO: Robert Alvord (and others who "bite").
Plix we have with us always.  Especially the greedy ones who relish
profiting on the work of others.
   Advice?  Stick to the Tried & True from the only valid AOO source​ (
https://www.openoffice.org/download/).
   Don't fall for "repackaged" rubbish in lieu of the REAL THING.  Peek to
see if there's "value added" but the "Real Deal" is only at
https://www.openoffice.org/download/.

Maurice