Possible error in Calc Date & Time function “TODAY”?

Possible error in Calc Date & Time function “TODAY”?

9lives
First of all, since I am a total newbie here, hello to everyone on the list.

Now, I would just like to report anyone in charge of the writing/editing of Documentation/How Tos/Calc page about some small (possible) error in the page below:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_TODAY_function

According to the first line of definition in the above page, “TODAY” is a function which “[r]eturns the current date and time”. However, it seems that this line should be corrected as “Returns the current date”.

It is because that the same explanation is applied to another Calc function “NOW”.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_NOW_function

In addition, it differs from a description in TODAY’s “Syntax” which reads “[TODAY] returns the current date (as a date-time serial number)”. The latter clearly has a consistency with the rest of TODAY’s description including operation examples.

I know it might not be a big problem, but, if possible, please modify it in case you would regard it as a seed of confusion.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding and contribution in advance.

syranzi (Sayuri Anzai)
Japan

Re: Possible error in Calc Date & Time function “TODAY”?

Clayton-24
On 02/02/2011 05:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> First of all, since I am a total newbie here, hello to everyone on the list.
>

> Now, I would just like to report anyone in charge of the writing/editing of Documentation/How Tos/Calc page about some small (possible) error in the page below:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_TODAY_function
>
> According to the first line of definition in the above page, “TODAY” is a function which “[r]eturns the current date and time”. However, it seems that this line should be corrected as “Returns the current date”.
>
> It is because that the same explanation is applied to another Calc function “NOW”.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_NOW_function
>
> In addition, it differs from a description in TODAY’s “Syntax” which reads “[TODAY] returns the current date (as a date-time serial number)”. The latter clearly has a consistency with the rest of TODAY’s description including operation examples.
>

> I know it might not be a big problem, but, if possible, please modify it in case you would regard it as a seed of confusion.
>
> Thank you very much for your kind understanding and contribution in advance.
>

> syranzi (Sayuri Anzai)
> Japan
> [hidden email]

Hi syranzi.

Thanks for you investigation into the HowTo for Calc.

There is no one specific person in charge of the HowTos on the Wiki....
that's why they are on the Wiki :-)  Any community member can tweak and
correct the information.  All you need is a Wiki ID and a few seconds of
your time.

I've removed "and time" from the description.

Please feel free to make these adjustments when you discover them.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [hidden email]
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead

Re[2]: [documentation-dev] Possible error in Calc Date & Time function “TODAY”?

9lives
Clayton,

Thank you very much for your kind and instructive response!
It gives me more fun and encouragement to be a member of this community.

syranzi