Presentation due tomorrow

Chanie Weiss
917-693-0607 I was nearly done with my presentation, but it interrupted me
& stopped working. Then it restored the document, missing almost half of my
work. Sure, I can redo it. But how can I restore what's lost?

Re: Presentation due tomorrow

Wade Smart-2
Chaine, you just posted your phone number to a public group.
You didnt give any details to work with for someone to help.

Describe the problem.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 6:13 PM Chanie Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 917-693-0607 I was nearly done with my presentation, but it interrupted me
> & stopped working. Then it restored the document, missing almost half of my
> work. Sure, I can redo it. But how can I restore what's lost?

Re: Presentation due tomorrow

Martin Groenescheij

On 18/07/2020 01:05, Chanie Weiss wrote:
> 917-693-0607 I was nearly done with my presentation, but it interrupted me
> & stopped working. Then it restored the document, missing almost half of my
> work. Sure, I can redo it. But how can I restore what's lost?

It's a good habit to regularly saving your work.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Load/Save and set Always create backup copy
and Save AutoRecovery information every xx Minutes

Understand the difference between both options as explained in the
attached email from Brian Barker

At 16:56 14/07/2020 -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
>It is also important to save all documents on a regular basis.

True.

>Tools > Options > Load/Save > General has options that will you
>should consider using. Just make sure to limit the number of minutes to 4 of 5.

Useful though this facility is, it is important that readers are not
misled by this suggestion. Like all sensible applications, OpenOffice
saves document files only when the user asks for this to happen -
using Save or Save As or by selecting Save from the options provided
when a modified document is closed without having been saved. This is
important, so that a user may choose, after a period of editing, to
abandon all changes and close the document or session without
modifying the original document.

The option at Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save | Save
AutoRecovery information every ... Minutes has another purpose. If it
is ticked, information about the current editing session is salted
away regularly - but separately from the actual document file. This
information is deleted automatically if a session is terminated
normally. Its purpose is instead to deal with program or system
crashes or power outages. In these circumstances an offer is made,
when OpenOffice is next started, to recover editing changes made in
the aborted session as far as possible.

Brian Barker

Re: Presentation due tomorrow

Chanie Weiss
Thank you so much for contacting me. I just checked this email. I can't
even describe what caused the problem. The program just stopped in the
middle. Actually I completed my project already anyway. Thank you.