Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

Bill Griffin
I installed OpenOfffice2 on my PC.  Pentium IV, Windows 2000 Pro. Under
OpenOffice2, the printer works properly.  However, when I switch back to
Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point), the printer no longer works.  It
simply spits out a blank piece of paper.  I've gone back into the folders
menu and changed all of the Microsoft file types to their proper values
(.doc, .xls, .ppt) and the problem continued.

I then uninstalled OpenOffice2 and the problem remained.  Old Microsoft
documents will print out.  However, new ones won't.  Must I completely
uninstall Microsoft Office and reinstall it in order to get my printer to work?

Wm. S. Griffin

Re: Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

Markus Frei
you should probably ask this question on some M$ site...

Am Montag, 21. November 2005 20.33 schrieb Bill Griffin:

> I installed OpenOfffice2 on my PC.  Pentium IV, Windows 2000 Pro. Under
> OpenOffice2, the printer works properly.  However, when I switch back to
> Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point), the printer no longer works.  It
> simply spits out a blank piece of paper.  I've gone back into the folders
> menu and changed all of the Microsoft file types to their proper values
> (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and the problem continued.
>
> I then uninstalled OpenOffice2 and the problem remained.  Old Microsoft
> documents will print out.  However, new ones won't.  Must I completely
> uninstall Microsoft Office and reinstall it in order to get my printer to
> work?
>
> Wm. S. Griffin

Re: Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

SOTL
On Monday 21 November 2005 02:33 pm, Bill Griffin wrote:

> I installed OpenOfffice2 on my PC.  Pentium IV, Windows 2000 Pro. Under
> OpenOffice2, the printer works properly.  However, when I switch back to
> Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point), the printer no longer works.  It
> simply spits out a blank piece of paper.  I've gone back into the folders
> menu and changed all of the Microsoft file types to their proper values
> (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and the problem continued.
>
> I then uninstalled OpenOffice2 and the problem remained.  Old Microsoft
> documents will print out.  However, new ones won't.  Must I completely
> uninstall Microsoft Office and reinstall it in order to get my printer to
> work?
>
> Wm. S. Griffin

If MS office is not doing what it DID do in THAT computer BEFORE you installed
personally I would remove MS Office then reinstall Open Office and then Open
Office as a first attempt.

Check printer ffter installing Open Office offive before installing MS offive
and both after installing MS office.

Re: Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

CPHennessy
On Mon November 21 2005 19:33, + Bill Griffin wrote:

>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> I installed OpenOfffice2 on my PC.  Pentium IV, Windows 2000 Pro. Under
> OpenOffice2, the printer works properly.  However, when I switch back to
> Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point), the printer no longer works.  It
> simply spits out a blank piece of paper.  I've gone back into the folders
> menu and changed all of the Microsoft file types to their proper values
> (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and the problem continued.
>
> I then uninstalled OpenOffice2 and the problem remained.  Old Microsoft
> documents will print out.  However, new ones won't.  Must I completely
> uninstall Microsoft Office and reinstall it in order to get my printer to
> work?

Hi Bill,
  Sorry, I cannot really offer any advise as I do not use MSOffice. I suggest
that you ask on MSOffice forums.

Please reply to [hidden email] only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

Bob Long
[CC'd to user]
In news:[hidden email],
Bill Griffin <[hidden email]> typed:
> I installed OpenOfffice2 on my PC.  Pentium IV, Windows 2000 Pro.
> Under OpenOffice2, the printer works properly.  However, when I
> switch back to Microsoft (Word, Excel, Power Point), the printer no
> longer works.  It simply spits out a blank piece of paper.  I've gone back
> into the folders menu and changed all of the Microsoft file types to their
> proper
> values (.doc, .xls, .ppt) and the problem continued.

Can you explain further what you did there? Did you simply rename the file
extension? That is, what was the file name before you did whatever you did,
and what exactly did you do? Or are you talking about the file associations?

> I then uninstalled OpenOffice2 and the problem remained.  Old
> Microsoft documents will print out.  However, new ones won't.  Must I
> completely uninstall Microsoft Office and reinstall it in order to
> get my printer to work?

Does Word actually open a document? Do you see content? If so, I suspect
something to do with printer settings, or something to do with print areas.
What if you create an entirely new document in Word (I'm not sure what you
mean by "new ones")?

--
Bob Long

[hidden email].
FAQ, userguide, etc: http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: Printer Doesn't Work On Microsoft Documents After Open Office Install

Anthony Chilco
It sounds like the OP opened MS files and save them in OOo format. I'm
guessing that

"changed all of the Microsoft file types to their proper values (.doc, .xls, .ppt)"

means that he changed the extensions of the files that had been saved in OOo format. The solution is to re-install open office, change the extensions back to odt, ods etc, load each file in open office and save each file in MS format.

tc
p.s. Is Mr. Griffin subscribed?