Problem Building OpenOffice

Hao Wang
Dear OpenOffice Dev Team,

I've been trying to build Open Office today, but I couldn't install freetype2 on my ubuntu machine.

When I did a "./configure" in the main folder, I got the following error :

checking whether freetype is available... checking for FREETYPE... no
configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2 >= 2.0 ) were not met:

No package 'freetype2' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FREETYPE_CFLAGS
and FREETYPE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

Then I downloaded freetype 2 and installed it into /usr/local/freetype and added /usr/local/freetype in the .bashrc file , but I got the same error.

Best Regards,
Hao Wang

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Arrigo Marchiori
Hello Hao Wang,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:13:33PM +0000, Hao Wang wrote:

> Dear OpenOffice Dev Team,
>
> I've been trying to build Open Office today, but I couldn't install freetype2 on my ubuntu machine.
>
> When I did a "./configure" in the main folder, I got the following error :
>
> checking whether freetype is available... checking for FREETYPE... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2 >= 2.0 ) were not met:
>
> No package 'freetype2' found

[...]

> Then I downloaded freetype 2 and installed it into
> /usr/local/freetype and added /usr/local/freetype in the .bashrc
> file , but I got the same error.

In general, you should be able to use the packages provided by your
distribution. On Ubuntu 18.04, the package is named
"libfreetype6-dev", and is installed by the following command:

 $ sudo apt install libfreetype6-dev

This will probably be the first package out of a long
list. Unfortunately, I do not have a ready-made list of build
dependencies for Ubuntu, but someone else on this mailing list could
be able to provide it.

To whoever has any building dependencies lists: I remain available to
publish them on-line on the wiki, if you could kindly send them here.

I hope this helps.
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

which version of Ubuntu do you use?

which branch of AOO do you wnat to build?

Kind regards

Mechtilde

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Hao Wang
Thanks Arrigo, I've installed the package.

________________________________
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:13:33PM +0000, Hao Wang wrote:

> Dear OpenOffice Dev Team,
>
> I've been trying to build Open Office today, but I couldn't install freetype2 on my ubuntu machine.
>
> When I did a "./configure" in the main folder, I got the following error :
>
> checking whether freetype is available... checking for FREETYPE... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2 >= 2.0 ) were not met:
>
> No package 'freetype2' found

[...]

> Then I downloaded freetype 2 and installed it into
> /usr/local/freetype and added /usr/local/freetype in the .bashrc
> file , but I got the same error.

In general, you should be able to use the packages provided by your
distribution. On Ubuntu 18.04, the package is named
"libfreetype6-dev", and is installed by the following command:

 $ sudo apt install libfreetype6-dev

This will probably be the first package out of a long
list. Unfortunately, I do not have a ready-made list of build
dependencies for Ubuntu, but someone else on this mailing list could
be able to provide it.

To whoever has any building dependencies lists: I remain available to
publish them on-line on the wiki, if you could kindly send them here.

I hope this helps.
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Hao Wang
I'm building Open Office 4.1.8 on Ubuntu 18.04.1. I fixed the freetype problem and I'm trying to fix new package missing errors.

________________________________

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Pedro Lino-4
On Ubuntu 18.04 you need

sudo apt-get install g++ gcc bison flex libarchive-zip-perl libcups2-dev libpam0g-dev \
       gperf libfreetype6-dev libxaw7-dev libfontconfig1-dev libxrandr-dev patch \
       libgconf2-dev libgnomevfs2-dev ant libgtk2.0-dev junit junit4 libidl-dev liborbit2-dev \
       openjdk-8-jdk liblablgl-ocaml-dev

Hope this helps ;)

Regards,
Pedro

> On 01/13/2021 1:48 PM Hao Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I'm building Open Office 4.1.8 on Ubuntu 18.04.1. I fixed the freetype problem and I'm trying to fix new package missing errors.
>
> ________________________________

Hi Pedro,

I wasn't able to install gconf on Ubuntu and there is no information on how to install the package on bing.com.

ubuntu@i-2dmws819:~/aoo-4.1.8/main$ sudo apt install  libgconf2-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:28:20AM +0000, Hao Wang wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> I wasn't able to install gconf on Ubuntu and there is no information on how to install the package on bing.com.
>
> ubuntu@i-2dmws819:~/aoo-4.1.8/main$ sudo apt install  libgconf2-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package libgconf2-dev

The package is in the "universe" repository. Make sure you enabled it:

 $ sudo add-apt-repository universe
 $ sudo apt update

(Credit: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-repositories/ )

> sudo apt-get install g++ gcc bison flex libarchive-zip-perl libcups2-dev libpam0g-dev \
>        gperf libfreetype6-dev libxaw7-dev libfontconfig1-dev libxrandr-dev patch \
>        libgconf2-dev libgnomevfs2-dev ant libgtk2.0-dev junit junit4 libidl-dev liborbit2-dev \
>        openjdk-8-jdk liblablgl-ocaml-dev
>
> Hope this helps ;)

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Hao Wang
Problem resolved. Thanks.

________________________________
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:28:20AM +0000, Hao Wang wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> I wasn't able to install gconf on Ubuntu and there is no information on how to install the package on bing.com.
>
> ubuntu@i-2dmws819:~/aoo-4.1.8/main$ sudo apt install  libgconf2-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package libgconf2-dev

The package is in the "universe" repository. Make sure you enabled it:

 $ sudo add-apt-repository universe
 $ sudo apt update

(Credit: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-repositories/ )

> sudo apt-get install g++ gcc bison flex libarchive-zip-perl libcups2-dev libpam0g-dev \
>        gperf libfreetype6-dev libxaw7-dev libfontconfig1-dev libxrandr-dev patch \
>        libgconf2-dev libgnomevfs2-dev ant libgtk2.0-dev junit junit4 libidl-dev liborbit2-dev \
>        openjdk-8-jdk liblablgl-ocaml-dev
>
> Hope this helps ;)

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Pedro Lino-4
Hi Arrigo

> On 01/14/2021 8:11 AM Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The package is in the "universe" repository. Make sure you enabled it:
>
>  $ sudo add-apt-repository universe
>  $ sudo apt update
>
> (Credit: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-repositories/ )

Thank you for the fast (and accurate) answer.
This is an important detail to add to the Ubuntu instructions.

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Arrigo Marchiori
Hello Pedro,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:39:11AM +0000, Pedro Lino wrote:

> Hi Arrigo
>
> > On 01/14/2021 8:11 AM Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The package is in the "universe" repository. Make sure you enabled it:
> >
> >  $ sudo add-apt-repository universe
> >  $ sudo apt update
> >
> > (Credit: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-repositories/ )
>
> Thank you for the fast (and accurate) answer.
> This is an important detail to add to the Ubuntu instructions.

Thank you for the suggestion.
I put it in this way:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux#Ubuntu_18.04

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Problem Building OpenOffice

Pedro Lino-4
Hi Arrigo

> On 01/14/2021 12:43 PM Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion.
> I put it in this way:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux#Ubuntu_18.04

I noticed after sending the email :)
I have added some edits to that page but the current organization seems to follow a much more complex path so feel free to delete/modify my additions. We can exchange further comments privately if you prefer.

Regards,
Pedro

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:51:47PM +0000, Pedro Lino wrote:

> Hi Arrigo
>
> > On 01/14/2021 12:43 PM Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the suggestion.
> > I put it in this way:
> > https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux#Ubuntu_18.04
>
> I noticed after sending the email :)
> I have added some edits to that page but the current organization seems to follow a much more complex path so feel free to delete/modify my additions. We can exchange further comments privately if you prefer.

Let's use the "Talk" page for this, if you agree:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Talk:Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step_Linux

You will already find my reply over there.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org