Problem Downloading Open Office

12

Problem Downloading Open Office

Don Karp
Hi--

When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
allow because from an unrecognized source.

I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.

Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?

--
<https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
Don Karp

donkarp.com

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Gede Arda unud
I tried several time to finish the package... After all, all run
successfully.

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, 14:30 Don Karp, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
> allow because from an unrecognized source.
>
> I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
>
> Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
>

> --
> <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >
> Don Karp
> about.me/donkarp
> <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >

> donkarp.com

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Andrea Vt
Just try the official site:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Am 04.10.2019 um 04:42 schrieb Don Karp:

> Hi--
>
> When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
> allow because from an unrecognized source.
>
> I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
>
> Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
>

> --
> <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
> Don Karp
> about.me/donkarp
> <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
>
> donkarp.com

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:49:59 +0200
Andrea Vt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just try the official site:
>
> https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Probably this is due to the Gatekeeper application that Apple is supplying with your computer.
Read Q05/A05 in https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283&p=420635

RoryOF

> Am 04.10.2019 um 04:42 schrieb Don Karp:
> > Hi--
> >
> > When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
> > allow because from an unrecognized source.
> >
> > I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
> >
> > Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
> >

> > --
> > <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
> > Don Karp
> > about.me/donkarp
> > <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
> >
> > donkarp.com

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Don Karp
But when I use this it transfers me to Source Forge.
My Mac says it is an unknown company and will not open it.
There are ways to get Mac to recognize this, but I checked this company and
fear malware.

Any other places to download, please?

https://www.openoffice.de/openoffice_download_macosx.php

Am 04.10.2019 um 19:23 schrieb Don Karp:

> But when I use this it transfers me to Source Forge.
> My Mac says it is an unknown company and will not open it.
> There are ways to get Mac to recognize this, but I checked this company and
> fear malware.
>
> Any other places to download, please?
> --
> <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
> Don Karp
> about.me/donkarp
> <https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
>
> donkarp.com
>

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 2:23 AM Andrea Vt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just try the official site:
>>
>> https://www.openoffice.org/download/
>>

>> Am 04.10.2019 um 04:42 schrieb Don Karp:
>>> Hi--
>>>
>>> When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
>>> allow because from an unrecognized source.
>>>
>>> I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
>>>

>>> --
>>> <
>> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
>>> Don Karp
>>> about.me/donkarp
>>> <
>> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
>>>
>>> donkarp.com

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Matthias Seidel
NO!

Never download from that location!

This is *NOT* official!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Andrea Vt
The only official site does not support Mac ...

Am 04.10.19 um 18:40 schrieb Andrea:
> The only official site does not support Mac ...

Of course it does.

>> NO!
>>
>> Never download from that location!
>>
>> This is *NOT* official!
>>
>> Am 04.10.19 um 18:33 schrieb Andrea:
>>> https://www.openoffice.de/openoffice_download_macosx.php

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Don Karp
Thanks--

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 2:23 AM Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:49:59 +0200
> Andrea Vt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just try the official site:
> >
> > https://www.openoffice.org/download/
>

> Probably this is due to the Gatekeeper application that Apple is supplying
> with your computer.
> Read Q05/A05 in
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283&p=420635
>

> RoryOF
> >

> > Am 04.10.2019 um 04:42 schrieb Don Karp:
> > > Hi--
> > >
> > > When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac
> wouldn't
> > > allow because from an unrecognized source.
> > >
> > > I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
> > >
> > > Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
> > >

> > > --
> > > <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >
> > > Don Karp
> > > about.me/donkarp
> > > <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >

> > > donkarp.com

> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

David Belina-2
SourceForge is the place people put software that is open source.  It is perfectly safe (at least for OpenOffice).  I am running mine download of OpenOffice on a Mac and Windows and virus checks on both came out negative for viruses or malware.

Dave B.

On October 4, 2019 at 10:46:12 AM, Don Karp ([hidden email]) wrote:

Thanks--

But when I use this it transfers me to Source Forge.
My Mac says it is an unknown company and will not open it.
There are ways to get Mac to recognize this, but I checked this company and
fear malware.

Any other places to download, please?
--
<https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>
Don Karp
about.me/donkarp
<https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel>

donkarp.com

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 2:23 AM Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:49:59 +0200
> Andrea Vt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just try the official site:
> >
> > https://www.openoffice.org/download/
>

> Probably this is due to the Gatekeeper application that Apple is supplying
> with your computer.
> Read Q05/A05 in
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283&p=420635
>

> RoryOF
> >

> > Am 04.10.2019 um 04:42 schrieb Don Karp:
> > > Hi--
> > >
> > > When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac
> wouldn't
> > > allow because from an unrecognized source.
> > >
> > > I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
> > >
> > > Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
> > >

> > > --
> > > <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >
> > > Don Karp
> > > about.me/donkarp
> > > <
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> >

> > > donkarp.com

> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Andrea Vt
Don Karp made other experiences :-)

Anywax stop let us stop off topic things

Am 04.10.19 um 19:03 schrieb Andrea:
> Don Karp made other experiences :-)
>
> Anywax stop let us stop off topic things
This is on topic.

>> Am 04.10.19 um 18:40 schrieb Andrea:
>>> The only official site does not support Mac ...
>> Of course it does.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

jd1008

On 10/4/19 10:41 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Am 04.10.19 um 18:40 schrieb Andrea:
>> The only official site does not support Mac ...
> Of course it does.

Matthias,
The official link for mac os takes you to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.7/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg/download

>>> NO!
>>>
>>> Never download from that location!
>>>
>>> This is *NOT* official!

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

David Belina-2
Oops.  Are you referring to the Mac not wanting to install software not downloaded from the Apple Store?  What you need to do depends on what error message you get from your Mac.

You can disable the Apple gatekeeper by opening a Terminal Window on your Mac;
typing:   sudo spctl --master-disable
there are two dashes before the word master
install OpenOffice
then type:   sudo spctl --master-enable

You have to use an administrator grade  password  (if it’s your Mac and you petit up new then it is your password.

Am 04.10.19 um 19:14 schrieb JD:

> On 10/4/19 10:41 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Am 04.10.19 um 18:40 schrieb Andrea:
>>> The only official site does not support Mac ...
>> Of course it does.
>
> Matthias,
> The official link for mac os takes you to
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.7/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg/download

Again, I can only confirm that... ;-)

But *never* download from openoffice.de!

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

jd1008
Don has a very good point.
I think OpenOffice should stop using sourceforge.net because
sourceforge does NOT check to see if the software projects it
hosts are malware free.
In addition, Apple is invested in selling MS office ported to the MAC-OS.
So, I think Apple's code that rejects SW downloaded from sourceforge
is simply a protectionism against free software.
I hope that someone takes apple to court and files a huge class action
lawsuit.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 1:01 AM Gede Arda unud <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried several time to finish the package... After all, all run
> successfully.
>
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019, 14:30 Don Karp, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi--
> >
> > When I tried downloading from Source Forge and SoftIonic, my Mac wouldn't
> > allow because from an unrecognized source.
> >
> > I looked up reviews from those sources and got some bad reviews.
> >
> > Is there any other way I can download without risk, please?
> >

> > --
> > <
> >
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> > >
> > Don Karp
> > about.me/donkarp
> > <
> >
> https://about.me/donkarp?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel
> > >

> > donkarp.com

Re: Problem Downloading Open Office

Dave Fisher-3
The downloads on sourceforge are the ones that are created by the Apache OpenOffice project.

Matthias is the one who currently creates all of the Windows builds as a volunteer. We are all volunteers and SourceForge has generously donated to our community hosting for well over 250,000,000 million downloads for the last 8 years.

Our macOS builds support version 10.7 and greater. Apple has evolved their Gatekeeper program over this time period. There are ways to get around this and usually someone will point this out. Try looking at forums.openoffice.org.

Actually you should be concerned about malware from OpenOffice.de where the windows installer and Linux repos are repackaged by the owner of that domain.

There are ways to verify that you are getting the correct package that involve other tools. I’m away from desk, but others can answer that question.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On 10/4/19 11:22 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Am 04.10.19 um 19:14 schrieb JD:
>>> Of course it does.
>> Matthias,
>> The official link for mac os takes you to
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.7/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg/download
>>
> Again, I can only confirm that... ;-)
>
> But *never* download from openoffice.de!

Agreed.
I thought that registering a name, say X, with the  internet at domain Y,
should not allow the registering of name X in domain Z.

I think this loophole allows tons of scam on the internet.

12