Problem opening docs

danwade2016@comcast.net
I have spreadsheets and text documents that were on windows xp home edition and not having any luck opening on Open Office.  A filter Selection page opens and I don't know which one to select.

Re: Problem opening docs

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:21:20 -0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have spreadsheets and text documents that were on windows xp home edition and not having any luck opening on Open Office.  A filter Selection page opens and I don't know which one to select.

The files are probably damaged beyond repair.  See if you can open them with an archive utility such as 7-zip or winzip.  If either of those cannot open them, then they are damaged, probably beyond repair..  The filter selection message means that OpenOffice cannot recognise  their format and almost always this means damaged in transfer from Win XP to a more modern machine..

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>