Problem opening files on Macbook

Robert James
Hi,

My username is BobJames40

I used to be able to write and open files with OpenOffice software, although I don’t use it very much.  I cannot remember the last time I used it successfully, but it was probably before I upgraded the MacBook to High Sierra. I am now running version 10.13.5.  I have version 4.1.5 of OpenOffice.  My MacBook is a mid 2010 model.
I log on as the Administrator when using my MacBook.  When I try to open a file the OpenOffice icon appears in the Dock with the small dot flashing underneath, but after a few seconds it disappears and the file does not open. The same thing happens if I try to open from the OpenOffice icon in the Applications folder.
Having looked at some of the help on your forum I noticed a comment about logging on as a Guest user.  I set this up (not having done this before) and I find that I can use OpenOffice this way.
I do not understand why I cannot use OpenOffice when logged on as the Administrator.  Can you suggest how I can overcome this problem, please?

Bob James

Re: Problem opening files on Macbook

Howard Blum
I am using a MacBook Air with the same High Sierra and OpenOffice.

My suggestion would be to:
1- Single click on the file you are dealing with to highlight it.
2- Command-I to bring up the information panel
3- At the bottom of the Info panel you will see permissions of who can
open, read and write to the file
4- Add the entity you want to open and work with the file.

Hopefully that will do what you want done.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 7:04 AM, Robert James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My username is BobJames40
>
> I used to be able to write and open files with OpenOffice software,
> although I don’t use it very much.  I cannot remember the last time I used
> it successfully, but it was probably before I upgraded the MacBook to High
> Sierra. I am now running version 10.13.5.  I have version 4.1.5 of
> OpenOffice.  My MacBook is a mid 2010 model.
> I log on as the Administrator when using my MacBook.  When I try to open a
> file the OpenOffice icon appears in the Dock with the small dot flashing
> underneath, but after a few seconds it disappears and the file does not
> open. The same thing happens if I try to open from the OpenOffice icon in
> the Applications folder.
> Having looked at some of the help on your forum I noticed a comment about
> logging on as a Guest user.  I set this up (not having done this before)
> and I find that I can use OpenOffice this way.
> I do not understand why I cannot use OpenOffice when logged on as the
> Administrator.  Can you suggest how I can overcome this problem, please?
>
> Bob James

Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
PO Box 834
Novato, CA 94948
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: Problem opening files on Macbook

Steven Ahlers
Bob,

Try opening OpenOffice from the Applications Folder.  If it does open successfully, close OpenOffice, delete the icon on your Dock and drag a new copy of the icon from the Applications Folder to the Dock.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone