Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Matt Wiser
 Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Hugo Costa
I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK   .. I don know who decides when to upgrade it,  but how many of us have a problem  with the spell check after it.
The  solution given, solution at end, made with respect,  is Neanderthal Time  !!!

I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude old as word editors.  Do not touch it.

Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK

    On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Martin Groenescheij

On 22/05/17 3:36 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
> I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK

Good begin, but what does it solve?

>     .. I don know who decides when to upgrade it,

Well, each one decide for them self when and what to download or upgrade
nobody is forcing you.

>    but how many of us have a problem  with the spell check after it.

At least I didn't had this problem, but I know many others had it.
> The  solution given, solution at end, made with respect,  is Neanderthal Time  !!!

There is no and never will be perfect software, but if the solution
works then at least you have a working application
upgraded to the latest version where many other issues are solved.

> I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude old as word editors.  Do not touch it.
>
> Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK

I vote DO UPGRADE and get the benefit of running the latest and greatest
version.

>      On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>   On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>    Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
>> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.
> Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.
>
> As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>
> This cures most spellcheck problems.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Bruce Pierson
​I myself have had the spell check problem under OSX and the solution given
by the users group resolved it.  That is the only problem I have had with
AOO other than a few odd quirks that, to no surprise, others also
experienced.  In my past I have worked with at least 5 different pieces of
writing and publishing software and found that they are all similar and
each has it's own set of quirks. As stated, there is no perfect software. ​

*"I would rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city. "*

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/05/17 3:36 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
>
>> I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the
>> SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK
>>

> Good begin, but what does it solve?
>
>     .. I don know who decides when to upgrade it,
>>

> Well, each one decide for them self when and what to download or upgrade
> nobody is forcing you.
>
>    but how many of us have a problem  with the spell check after it.
>>

> At least I didn't had this problem, but I know many others had it.
>
>> The  solution given, solution at end, made with respect,  is Neanderthal
>> Time  !!!
>>

> There is no and never will be perfect software, but if the solution works
> then at least you have a working application
> upgraded to the latest version where many other issues are solved.
>

>> I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude
>> old as word editors.  Do not touch it.
>>
>> Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the
>> SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK
>>

> I vote DO UPGRADE and get the benefit of running the latest and greatest
> version.
>

>>      On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>   On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
>> Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice
>>> since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I
>>> encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document
>>> that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath
>>> all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and
>>> installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing
>>> happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line
>>> disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting.
>>> What's going on here?
>>> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's
>>> going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C,
>>> so, any help is appreciated.
>>>
>> Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.
>>
>> As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
>> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer
>> (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
>> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
>> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>>
>> This cures most spellcheck problems.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Hugo Costa
 I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORKand I mean  DO NOT TOUCH IT   UNLESS   .....

I Understand this community itś not a democratic one.  I mean  somebody there decides when to change the software. An the software changes for everybody ....Are this persons aware the problems they create touching  the Openoffice..?
Spellcheck is one of them. Watch at the "best"   solution they  touchers   give to us.  Erase your profile.  ¡each time they touch the program?
If this is a community, nobody should say "if you don like don use it"   ...  Here nobody should feel more important than the others..
The user that doesn't       know  How to Erase itś Profile    is so important as the nerd...
Hugo

    On Monday, May 22, 2017 2:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 22/05/17 3:36 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
> I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK

Good begin, but what does it solve?

>    .. I don know who decides when to upgrade it,

Well, each one decide for them self when and what to download or upgrade
nobody is forcing you.

>    but how many of us have a problem  with the spell check after it.

At least I didn't had this problem, but I know many others had it.
> The  solution given, solution at end, made with respect,  is Neanderthal Time  !!!

There is no and never will be perfect software, but if the solution
works then at least you have a working application
upgraded to the latest version where many other issues are solved.

> I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude old as word editors.  Do not touch it.
>
> Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK

I vote DO UPGRADE and get the benefit of running the latest and greatest
version.

>      On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
> Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>    Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
>> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.
> Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.
>
> As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>
> This cures most spellcheck problems.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Andrea Pescetti-2
Hugo Costa wrote:
>   I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORKand I mean  DO NOT TOUCH IT   UNLESS   .....

If you simply answer "no" to the option of keeping your profile when you
upgrade from 3.x to 4.x, you get a new and working profile without the
need to look for workarounds later.

So this can be "solved" by simply not upgrading 3.x profiles any longer
by default, starting with OpenOffice 4.2.0.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 24/05/17 7:17 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
>   I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORKand I mean  DO NOT TOUCH IT   UNLESS   .....
>
> I Understand this community itś not a democratic one.

This community is very democratic, you're free to contribute to fix the
problem.

>    I mean  somebody there decides when to change the software.

That's truth and because we live in a free society he is free to
voluntarily contribute his time and energy to solve some issues.

>   An the software changes for everybody ....Are this persons aware the problems they create touching  the Openoffice..?

How do you come to the conclusion that the problems are related to
changes in the software.
The problem may have been present for a long time, but have just
manifested itself due to outside circumstances for example changes in
the Operating System.

> Spellcheck is one of them. Watch at the "best"   solution they  touchers   give to us.  Erase your profile.  ¡each time they touch the program?
> If this is a community, nobody should say "if you don like don use it"

Correct! And nobody should say if you don't fix it don't upgrade.

>     ...  Here nobody should feel more important than the others..

Nobody is more important than others, but some are easier to work with.

> The user that doesn't       know  How to Erase itś Profile    is so important as the nerd...

Correct and that's why we help them by giving clear instructions.
And just for your understanding OpenOffice is maintained by volunteers
who give their time and energy for free.
And because they are not more important and are willing to listen, they
will be happy if anyone could find the cause of the problem until now
they are in the dark.

> Hugo
>

>      On Monday, May 22, 2017 2:22 AM, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 22/05/17 3:36 AM, Hugo Costa wrote:
>> I begin the campaign  :  DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK
> Good begin, but what does it solve?
>
>>      .. I don know who decides when to upgrade it,
> Well, each one decide for them self when and what to download or upgrade
> nobody is forcing you.
>
>>      but how many of us have a problem  with the spell check after it.
> At least I didn't had this problem, but I know many others had it.
>> The  solution given, solution at end, made with respect,  is Neanderthal Time  !!!
> There is no and never will be perfect software, but if the solution
> works then at least you have a working application
> upgraded to the latest version where many other issues are solved.
>
>> I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude old as word editors.  Do not touch it.
>>
>> Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK
> I vote DO UPGRADE and get the benefit of running the latest and greatest
> version.
>

>>        On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>    On Thu, 18 May 2017 01:58:06 +0000 (UTC)
>> Matt Wiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>      Hi. Matt Wiser here, and I have been a longtime user of OpenOffice since the Win98 days on a desktop, and now on my laptop. Today, I encountered a problem, and a forum search didn't help. I opened a document that I had created and saved two years ago, and it had wavy lines beneath all of the text, something that has never happened before. I downloaded and installed the update to the new version just released, and the same thing happens! Only by disabling the automatic spell check does the wavy line disappear. Language has been set to English (USA) as the default setting. What's going on here?
>>> Thanks in advance for your assistance, and can someone tell me what's going on here? I am a casual user of my computer-probably with a Capital C, so, any help is appreciated.
>> Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.
>>
>> As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
>> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
>> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
>> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>>
>> This cures most spellcheck problems.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Isaac Schrader
If you have a problem fix it. We are not always available to help. We will help when we can.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>
>>> I saw it the same answer before in this  "chat"Spell check is an aptitude old as word editors.  Do not touch it.
>>>
>>> Letś stand on it :  I vote DO NOT UPGRADE  the OPEN OFFICE  UNLESS the SPELL CHECK IS GOING TO WORK
>> I vote DO UPGRADE and get the benefit of running the latest and greatest
>> version.
>>

>>>       On Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:52 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.
>>>
>>> As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
>>> Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
>>> Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
>>> good choice. Start OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> This cures most spellcheck problems.

Re: Problem with Open Office before and after installing new update

Brian Barker
On 23/05/2017 22:17, Hugo Costa wrote:
> If this is a community, nobody should say "if you don't like don't use it" ...

Why ever not? Freedom of choice is a *good* thing, not a bad one! And
what's that about "If this is a community"? You can make your own choice
to be part of a community or not.

> Here nobody should feel more important than the others.

Exactly what makes you think anyone is being self-important? You are
important enoiugh to make whatever changes you wish.

Brian Barker