Problem with opening office

Peter Johnston
The program cannot be started.
A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.

What??

Please help.

Peter.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Problem with opening office

Martin Groenescheij

On 06/03/18 3:37 AM, Peter Johnston wrote:
> The program cannot be started.
> A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.
>
> What??

What?? do you expect from us?

Tell us at least your Operating System and OpenOffice version you have
problems with.
And by the way when OpenOffice is installed, it runs on your system
there is no need to access a central configuration.
When you need help the least thing you could/should do is give us enough
information on what exactly is the problem
and at what moment it happens.

> Please help.
>
> Peter.
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Problem with opening office

Oliver Lassalle
Hi

Once more I don't know who I am writing to ! VERY frustrating ! I download
the latest updates of Apache but it's just rubbish to use and change
completely my previous files...who can help to get back my older version ?

Thanks

Oliver

On 5 March 2018 at 16:37, Peter Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The program cannot be started.
> A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.
>
> What??
>
> Please help.
>
> Peter.
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Problem with opening office

Andrea
Oh you don't know who we are? - We are users like you and I think, that
you first should motivate any of us to try to help ... nobody earnts
just 1cent, answering some questions

You can download older versions of OO here
-https://www.openoffice.org/download/archive.html

Older versions of your Files can only be recovered if you made a backup.

On 06/03/18 9:04 AM, Oliver Lassalle wrote:
> Hi
>
> Once more I don't know who I am writing to !

If you don't know who you're writing to it's better to be polite !

>   VERY frustrating !

VERY frustrating !

>   I download
> the latest updates of Apache but it's just rubbish to use and change
> completely my previous files...who can help to get back my older version ?

If you can't describe your problem, we can't help.

> Thanks
>
> Oliver
>
> On 5 March 2018 at 16:37, Peter Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The program cannot be started.
>> A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.
>>
>> What??
>>
>> Please help.
>>
>> Peter.
>>
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Problem with opening office

zahra a
hi.
i try to answer two questions.
first, if you cant start openoffice, you can try repairing and then try.
if your issue persists, you can uninstall and reinstall again.
these kind of problems occures because when openGL enabled and i think
if i am correct, openGL is not supported by openoffice. am i right?
and for your question that your files are changed,
if you use windows vista and later, you can select properties of your
files, then security tab and then activate previous versions and then
okay to confirm it.
hope that i could help you and also recieve answer that does
openoffice support openGL or not?

On 3/6/18, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/03/18 9:04 AM, Oliver Lassalle wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Once more I don't know who I am writing to !
>
> If you don't know who you're writing to it's better to be polite !
>
>>   VERY frustrating !
>
> VERY frustrating !
>
>>   I download
>> the latest updates of Apache but it's just rubbish to use and change
>> completely my previous files...who can help to get back my older version
>> ?
>
> If you can't describe your problem, we can't help.
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Oliver
>>
>> On 5 March 2018 at 16:37, Peter Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The program cannot be started.
>>> A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.
>>>
>>> What??
>>>
>>> Please help.
>>>
>>> Peter.
>>>
>>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

On 06/03/18 9:16 PM, zahra a wrote:
> hi.
> i try to answer two questions.
> first, if you cant start openoffice, you can try repairing and then try.

Please explain how to repair.

> if your issue persists, you can uninstall and reinstall again.

How does that help?

> these kind of problems occures because when openGL enabled and i think
> if i am correct, openGL is not supported by openoffice. am i right?

As far as I'm aware the original poster didn't mention openGL.

> and for your question that your files are changed,
> if you use windows vista and later, you can select properties of your
> files, then security tab and then activate previous versions and then
> okay to confirm it.

I run Windows 10 but there is no option to activate previous version in
the Properties.
Please explain in detail where you get this information from.

> hope that i could help you and also recieve answer that does
> openoffice support openGL or not?
>
> On 3/6/18, Martin Groenescheij <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/03/18 9:04 AM, Oliver Lassalle wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Once more I don't know who I am writing to !
>> If you don't know who you're writing to it's better to be polite !
>>
>>>    VERY frustrating !
>> VERY frustrating !
>>
>>>    I download
>>> the latest updates of Apache but it's just rubbish to use and change
>>> completely my previous files...who can help to get back my older version
>>> ?
>> If you can't describe your problem, we can't help.
>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Oliver

Re: Problem with opening office

Brian Barker
At 09:39 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>Please explain how to repair.

If you run the installation file for an application again, in most
cases it will detect that the product is already installed and offer
to repair that installation: to reset the files as they would have
been after the original installation using the same options.

>>if your issue persists, you can uninstall and reinstall again.
>
>How does that help?

Like repairing, reinstallation can correct problems if the installed
product files have been corrupted in some way.

>As far as I'm aware the original poster didn't mention openGL.

All the more reason to make him or her aware of it, perhaps? (... if
it is relevant.)

>I run Windows 10 but there is no option to activate previous version
>in the Properties.

Oh, there is! It's on the Previous Versions tab - or can be accessed
directly via "Restore previous versions" in the context menu. You
will have enabled File History at Start | Settings | Update &
Security | Backup | Backup using File History, won't you?

Brian Barker

Re: Problem with opening office

zahra a
hi brian.
thanks so much for my clarification of my comment.
can you please answer my question that does openoffice support openGL or not?
if does, is it enabled or disabled by default?
i did not find any setting in openoffice options view opengl to know
whether its enabled or not.
thanks again, God bless you!

At 09:15 07/03/2018 +0330, Zahra Aonly wrote:
>hi brian.
>thanks so much for my clarification of my comment.

No probs!

>can you please answer my question that does openoffice support openGL or not?

No: sorry, I cannot.

>i did not find any setting in openoffice options view opengl to know
>whether its enabled or not.

There was an option in earlier versions of OpenOffice at Tools |
Options... | OpenOffice | View, but it is no longer there. I don't
know what that implies.

Brian Barker

On 07/03/18 3:38 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 09:39 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> Please explain how to repair.
>
> If you run the installation file for an application again, in most
> cases it will detect that the product is already installed and offer
> to repair that installation: to reset the files as they would have
> been after the original installation using the same options.

Well, the user told that he has downloaded the latest version of
OpenOffice and said it is just rubbish.
Repairing a version that is just installed doesn't take away his frustration

>>> if your issue persists, you can uninstall and reinstall again.
>>
>> How does that help?
>
> Like repairing, reinstallation can correct problems if the installed
> product files have been corrupted in some way.

Because he said that it changes completely his previous files it sounds
to me that he had a problem with file associations
and to my knowledge repairing or reinstalling OpenOffice doesn't help
there either.

>> As far as I'm aware the original poster didn't mention openGL.
>
> All the more reason to make him or her aware of it, perhaps? (... if
> it is relevant.)
>
>> I run Windows 10 but there is no option to activate previous version
>> in the Properties.
>
> Oh, there is! It's on the Previous Versions tab - or can be accessed
> directly via "Restore previous versions" in the context menu. You will
> have enabled File History at Start | Settings | Update & Security |
> Backup | Backup using File History, won't you?

So this is conditional and works only for Windows, unfortunately the
original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't mention any Operating System.

At 17:52 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

>On 07/03/18 3:38 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 09:39 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>>Please explain how to repair.
>>
>>If you run the installation file for an application again, in most
>>cases it will detect that the product is already installed and
>>offer to repair that installation: to reset the files as they would
>>have been after the original installation using the same options.
>
>Well, the user told that he has downloaded the latest version of
>OpenOffice and said it is just rubbish.
>Repairing a version that is just installed doesn't take away his frustration

>>>How does that help?
>>
>>Like repairing, reinstallation can correct problems if the
>>installed product files have been corrupted in some way.
>
>Because he said that it changes completely his previous files it
>sounds to me that he had a problem with file associations
>and to my knowledge repairing or reinstalling OpenOffice doesn't
>help there either.
>

>>>As far as I'm aware the original poster didn't mention openGL.
>>
>>All the more reason to make him or her aware of it, perhaps? (...
>>if it is relevant.)
>>
>>>I run Windows 10 but there is no option to activate previous
>>>version in the Properties.
>>
>>Oh, there is! It's on the Previous Versions tab - or can be
>>accessed directly via "Restore previous versions" in the context
>>menu. You will have enabled File History at Start | Settings |
>>Update & Security | Backup | Backup using File History, won't you?
>
>So this is conditional and works only for Windows, unfortunately the
>original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't mention any Operating System.

I wasn't answering the original enquirer: what made you think I was?
If I had been, I would have quoted his questions, but I quoted
nothing from his original message. As you can see from what I quoted,
I was commenting on your critique of a previous reply. You asked for
an explanation of repairing; you asked how repairing or
reinstallation could help; you asked about restoring previous
versions of files in *your* Windows 10. I answered those questions.

Brian Barker

On 07/03/18 6:35 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 17:52 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>>
>>> If you run the installation file for an application again, in most
>>> cases it will detect that the product is already installed and offer
>>> to repair that installation: to reset the files as they would have
>>> been after the original installation using the same options.
>>
>> Well, the user told that he has downloaded the latest version of
>> OpenOffice and said it is just rubbish.
>> Repairing a version that is just installed doesn't take away his
>> frustration

>>> Like repairing, reinstallation can correct problems if the installed
>>> product files have been corrupted in some way.
>>
>> Because he said that it changes completely his previous files it
>> sounds to me that he had a problem with file associations
>> and to my knowledge repairing or reinstalling OpenOffice doesn't help
>> there either.

>>> All the more reason to make him or her aware of it, perhaps? (... if
>>> it is relevant.)

>>> Oh, there is! It's on the Previous Versions tab - or can be accessed
>>> directly via "Restore previous versions" in the context menu. You
>>> will have enabled File History at Start | Settings | Update &
>>> Security | Backup | Backup using File History, won't you?
>>
>> So this is conditional and works only for Windows, unfortunately the
>> original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't mention any Operating System.
>
> I wasn't answering the original enquirer: what made you think I was?
> If I had been, I would have quoted his questions, but I quoted nothing
> from his original message. As you can see from what I quoted, I was
> commenting on your critique of a previous reply.

So basically  you took my reply out of context I replied to the non
relevant suggestions of Zara.
The original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't have a problem other that
he was frustrated and reinstalling or repairing doesn't help.

> You asked for an explanation of repairing; you asked how repairing or
> reinstallation could help;

I didn't asked what a re-installation or repair does, I asked how it
will help the original posters frustration.

> you asked about restoring previous versions of files in *your* Windows
> 10. I answered those questions.

Again, the option to restore previous version is only available as you
mentioned under the condition that you have set to Backup your files.
And by the way I didn't comment on the "God bless you" suggestion as I
doubt if that helps at all.

> Brian Barker

Re: Problem with opening office

Daniels
PLEASE STOP SENDING ME THESE F....................
EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 07/03/18 6:35 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 17:52 07/03/2018 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>>
>>> If you run the installation file for an application again, in most cases
>>> it will detect that the product is already installed and offer to repair
>>> that installation: to reset the files as they would have been after the
>>> original installation using the same options.
>>
>> Well, the user told that he has downloaded the latest version of
>> OpenOffice and said it is just rubbish.
>> Repairing a version that is just installed doesn't take away his
>> frustration

>>> Like repairing, reinstallation can correct problems if the installed
>>> product files have been corrupted in some way.
>>
>> Because he said that it changes completely his previous files it sounds
>> to me that he had a problem with file associations
>> and to my knowledge repairing or reinstalling OpenOffice doesn't help
>> there either.

>>> All the more reason to make him or her aware of it, perhaps? (... if it
>>> is relevant.)

>>> Oh, there is! It's on the Previous Versions tab - or can be accessed
>>> directly via "Restore previous versions" in the context menu. You will
>>> have enabled File History at Start | Settings | Update & Security |
>>> Backup | Backup using File History, won't you?
>>
>> So this is conditional and works only for Windows, unfortunately the
>> original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't mention any Operating System.
>
> I wasn't answering the original enquirer: what made you think I was? If I
> had been, I would have quoted his questions, but I quoted nothing from his
> original message. As you can see from what I quoted, I was commenting on
> your critique of a previous reply.

So basically  you took my reply out of context I replied to the non
relevant suggestions of Zara.
The original poster (Oliver Lassalle) didn't have a problem other that
he was frustrated and reinstalling or repairing doesn't help.

> You asked for an explanation of repairing; you asked how repairing or
> reinstallation could help;

I didn't asked what a re-installation or repair does, I asked how it
will help the original posters frustration.

> you asked about restoring previous versions of files in *your* Windows 10.
> I answered those questions.

Again, the option to restore previous version is only available as you
mentioned under the condition that you have set to Backup your files.
And by the way I didn't comment on the "God bless you" suggestion as I
doubt if that helps at all.

> Brian Barker

---

Re: Problem with opening office

David Robley
You, or someone using (one of) your email addresses has subscribed to
the Apache Openoffice users mailing list. There is an address to use to
unsubscribe at the bottom of each email; I've taken the liberty of
snipping extraneous text from this mail to reveal it!

Send an email to that address from the address you used when subscribing.

On 03/08/2018 03:02 PM, Daniels wrote:

> PLEASE STOP SENDING ME THESE F....................

Cheers
--
David Robley

Useless Invention: Muffler Bearings.