Problems with files

Philippe Liniere
Hi,
Why is microsoft word hijacking my files? it appears that when I save a
file it saves it in word as an odt file and then when I want to retrieve
it and open the file it ask me for a product key. Can you help me out?
Thank you
Kind regards,
Philippe

Re: Problems with files

Tubular
Philippe, I am not sure if someone responded to your request yet.

If I were you, I would uninstall the version of OpenOffice, scan my
entire system for virus, Trojan, spywear and other unwanted programs
that interfere with your system.

Next, I would go to the OpenOffice home page
(http://www.openoffice.org/) - download OpenOffice as this is the
original program and does not contain extra programs, requests for
product code, request for product key . . .

Philippe Liniere wrote:

> Hi,
> Why is microsoft word hijacking my files? it appears that when I save
> a file it saves it in word as an odt file and then when I want to
> retrieve it and open the file it ask me for a product key. Can you
> help me out? Thank you
> Kind regards,
> Philippe

Re: Problems with files

Alan Boba-2
On Apr 3, 2014 9:32 PM, "Philippe Liniere" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Why is microsoft word hijacking my files? it appears that when I save a
file it saves it in word as an odt file and then when I want to retrieve it
and open the file it ask me for a product key.

Philippe, is it MS Word that is opening the file and asking for product
key? If yes then the copy of Word on the computer is likely a trial
version. This comes preinstalled on many computers. After using it for a
time, 90 days I think, the product stops working until a license fee is
paid to MS.

If the above is the case I suggest download and install OpenOffice from the
official site. Then use it for your document editing/creation.

If downloaded from the official site it will be no cost, will not require
registration and should do what you're expecting re document editing.

The official site is
https://www.openoffice.org

Re: Problems with files

Shari Lynn Smith
Phillip if you already have AOO & your saying that Word keeps trying to
open files you've created in AOO, it sounds like the program association
has been switched. Find a odt file and right click and select "open with"
locate the writer exe and make sure that "always open with" is ticked. I'm
not at my computer so my words might not be exact but I they're close.

Shari