Programming bad developed in OpenOffice Writer - paper waste

Programming bad developed in OpenOffice Writer - paper waste

Rui Pinto
Hello,

   In OpenOffice Writer if we accidentally select with mouse some letters
and use the print function it will print only the letters selected.
   This has ruined several paper sheets whitout reason.

   If some letters are selected the function print should warn that only
part of the document will be printed due to selection.

Thank you and regards

Rui Pinto

Re: Programming bad developed in OpenOffice Writer - paper waste

Martin Groenescheij

On 15/02/17 9:53 PM, Rui Pinto wrote:
> Hello,
>

>     In OpenOffice Writer if we accidentally select with mouse some letters
> and use the print function it will print only the letters selected.

If you have selected a portion of your document the print menu
automatically has selected the Print Selection button.
It shows a thumbnail of the output. Your still can select one of the
other options before you click the OK button.

>     This has ruined several paper sheets whitout reason.

Well the reason was that you made accidentally three mistakes in a row.

>     If some letters are selected the function print should warn that only
> part of the document will be printed due to selection.

Agreed and that is what the function did, but if you don't pay attention
to the warnings you suffer the consequences.

> Thank you and regards
>
> Rui Pinto

Re: Programming bad developed in OpenOffice Writer - paper waste

Brian Barker
At 10:53 15/02/2017 +0000, Rui Pinto wrote:
>In OpenOffice Writer if we accidentally select with mouse some
>letters and use the print function it will print only the letters
>selected. This has ruined several paper sheets without reason.

The reason is that you have made a mistake! Surely this is just
something that you discover in learning to use any application or
your computer in general?

>If some letters are selected the function print should warn that
>only part of the document will be printed due to selection.

That's exactly what happens for me, in fact.
o If I use the Print File Directly button in the Standard toolbar, I
see a message asking "Do you want to print the selection or the
entire document?" - with buttons giving the option to choose either.
o If I use File | Print... (or Ctrl+P), first the image in the Print
dialogue will show just the selected characters and the page count
below the image will show the (perhaps much smaller than expected)
number of pages that will actually print. In addition, on the General
tab, under "Range and copies", the Selection option is helpfully
already selected. (After all, why would you select text before
printing unless you wanted only that text to be printed?) You can
very simply modify that option to "All pages" on the fly, of course.

I don't know what you can be doing not to see these effects.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

On 16/02/17 3:37 PM, RUI MANUEL VIEIRA PINTO wrote:

> Thank you for the answer.
>
> The reason of mistakes is because we work in fast mode with many print
> jobs.
> You are right but is easier to note when something pop up than look at
> more one thing.
> The difference is that the software interacts with us when pop up.
> If we have to look at one more item in the left side of the window and
> also modify items in the righ side of the window it is just another task.
> And I think that people only want to print selected items in very rare
> ocasions when we talk about text documents.

If that is the case than use the Print button in the Toolbar this give
the desired message, but it only print directly to your default printer.