Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

Gordon Burgess-Parker-2
Something interesting I have come across in the Microsoft Answers
Forums. A Poster asked a question about using MS Office 2000 in Windows
7. I replied that in my opinion I would much rather run the latest
version of Open Office rather than trying to run a 10-year old obsolete
insecure Office suite.
The interesting reply was, that the OP thanked me for that, and said
that he would have a look at it, BUT he "genuinely didn't know that OO
existed"!
Interesting? Food for thought?
How do we propagate knowledge that OO exists?

Re: Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

Robert Derman-2
Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> Something interesting I have come across in the Microsoft Answers
> Forums. A Poster asked a question about using MS Office 2000 in
> Windows 7. I replied that in my opinion I would much rather run the
> latest version of Open Office rather than trying to run a 10-year old
> obsolete insecure Office suite.
> The interesting reply was, that the OP thanked me for that, and said
> that he would have a look at it, BUT he "genuinely didn't know that OO
> existed"!
> Interesting? Food for thought?
> How do we propagate knowledge that OO exists?
Frankly, I suspect that at least 50% of the general public is not aware
that Open Source exists!  I think that shareware made a bad name for
free software and since that time much of the public has simply ignored
ALL free software.  Also, I don't recall ever seeing anything about OOo
or any other free software except perhaps FireFox in the mass media.  A
story on the evening national TV news, and everyone or nearly everyone,
would be aware of it.  Or if Oracle would run a couple of national TV
adds once 3.3 is released, then people would be aware of it.  If Larry
really wanted to get Steve B. that would be one sure way to do it.
Oracle has the deep pockets that Sun never did, and I think the right
kind of advertising campaign might just do it.  Like for instance,
Oracle saying that they didn't think that people should have to spend a
lot of money to have a quality Word Processing program or spreadsheet
etc., on their home computer, so thanks to them, here it is as a FREE
download.  This could create an enormous amount of good will and brand
recognition for Oracle, and would likely increase the sales of their
profit making products.

Re: Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

Peter Szokoll
Very simply and well said.  Hopefully someone is listening.

Peter E. Szokoll

BioDynamicResources

Ressources BioDynamiques
112, de Levis Street

Granby, QC

Canada J2H 2G4

Tel.: 1-450-372-2899

Fax: 1-866-323-2133

Skype:skypediane

MSN:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

www.biodynamicresources.com <http://www.biodynamicresources.com>

On 1/4/2011 12:18 PM, Robert Derman wrote:

> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>> Something interesting I have come across in the Microsoft Answers
>> Forums. A Poster asked a question about using MS Office 2000 in
>> Windows 7. I replied that in my opinion I would much rather run the
>> latest version of Open Office rather than trying to run a 10-year old
>> obsolete insecure Office suite.
>> The interesting reply was, that the OP thanked me for that, and said
>> that he would have a look at it, BUT he "genuinely didn't know that
>> OO existed"!
>> Interesting? Food for thought?
>> How do we propagate knowledge that OO exists?
> Frankly, I suspect that at least 50% of the general public is not
> aware that Open Source exists!  I think that shareware made a bad name
> for free software and since that time much of the public has simply
> ignored ALL free software.  Also, I don't recall ever seeing anything
> about OOo or any other free software except perhaps FireFox in the
> mass media.  A story on the evening national TV news, and everyone or
> nearly everyone, would be aware of it.  Or if Oracle would run a
> couple of national TV adds once 3.3 is released, then people would be
> aware of it.  If Larry really wanted to get Steve B. that would be one
> sure way to do it.  Oracle has the deep pockets that Sun never did,
> and I think the right kind of advertising campaign might just do it.
> Like for instance, Oracle saying that they didn't think that people
> should have to spend a lot of money to have a quality Word Processing
> program or spreadsheet etc., on their home computer, so thanks to
> them, here it is as a FREE download.  This could create an enormous
> amount of good will and brand recognition for Oracle, and would likely
> increase the sales of their profit making products.

Re: Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

NoOp-4
On 01/04/2011 09:18 AM, Robert Derman wrote:
> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

>> How do we propagate knowledge that OO exists?
> Frankly, I suspect that at least 50% of the general public is not aware
> that Open Source exists!  I think that shareware made a bad name for
> free software and since that time much of the public has simply ignored
> ALL free software.  Also, I don't recall ever seeing anything about OOo
> or any other free software except perhaps FireFox in the mass media.  A
> story on the evening national TV news, and everyone or nearly everyone,
> would be aware of it.  Or if Oracle would run a couple of national TV
> adds once 3.3 is released, then people would be aware of it.  If Larry
> really wanted to get Steve B. that would be one sure way to do it.
> Oracle has the deep pockets that Sun never did, and I think the right
> kind of advertising campaign might just do it.  Like for instance,
> Oracle saying that they didn't think that people should have to spend a
> lot of money to have a quality Word Processing program or spreadsheet
> etc., on their home computer, so thanks to them, here it is as a FREE
> download.  This could create an enormous amount of good will and brand
> recognition for Oracle, and would likely increase the sales of their
> profit making products.

Probably the best opportunity for this would be the Oracle Racing
America's Cup campaign. Oracle Racing/Golden Gate Yacht Club/Ellison et
al have chosen San Francisco for the 2013 races. It is suggested that
this will generate more than 8,000 jobs & 1.2 Billion USD for the San
Francisco economy.[1] That of course doesn't include all of the jobs &
revenue that the competing teams will spend between and the AC.

Ellison, San Francisco, Oracle Racing should open the project right and
request that all documentation, spreadsheets, etc., etc. use open
standards ODF software for proposals, budget spreadsheets, etc., and
files will not be accepted in proprietary formats (ala .docx .xlsx etc).
That should include all correspondence and the like from contenders,
contractors, event organizers, support teams, and the like.

In doing that I pretty well guarantee that by the time the AC is held,
OpenOffice.org/Oracle Office/LibO, etc., will be pretty common. Of
course that won't stop M$ from submitting the same files in ODF, but if
literally thousands of M$Office users associated with AC have to save,
receive, and transmit in that format, I reckon that they'll quickly
learn to accept that as the standard rather than OOXML.

Just a thought...

[1]
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fn%2Fa%2F2011%2F01%2F05%2Fstate%2Fn170710S20.DTL>

Re: Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

RA Brown
On Thu Jan 06 2011 15:00:11 GMT-0800 (PST)  NoOp wrote:

> On 01/04/2011 09:18 AM, Robert Derman wrote:
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
>>> How do we propagate knowledge that OO exists?
>> Frankly, I suspect that at least 50% of the general public is not aware
>> that Open Source exists!  I think that shareware made a bad name for
>> free software and since that time much of the public has simply ignored
>> ALL free software.  Also, I don't recall ever seeing anything about OOo
>> or any other free software except perhaps FireFox in the mass media.  A
>> story on the evening national TV news, and everyone or nearly everyone,
>> would be aware of it.  Or if Oracle would run a couple of national TV
>> adds once 3.3 is released, then people would be aware of it.  If Larry
>> really wanted to get Steve B. that would be one sure way to do it.
>> Oracle has the deep pockets that Sun never did, and I think the right
>> kind of advertising campaign might just do it.  Like for instance,
>> Oracle saying that they didn't think that people should have to spend a
>> lot of money to have a quality Word Processing program or spreadsheet
>> etc., on their home computer, so thanks to them, here it is as a FREE
>> download.  This could create an enormous amount of good will and brand
>> recognition for Oracle, and would likely increase the sales of their
>> profit making products.
>
> Probably the best opportunity for this would be the Oracle Racing
> America's Cup campaign. Oracle Racing/Golden Gate Yacht Club/Ellison et
> al have chosen San Francisco for the 2013 races. It is suggested that
> this will generate more than 8,000 jobs & 1.2 Billion USD for the San
> Francisco economy.[1] That of course doesn't include all of the jobs &
> revenue that the competing teams will spend between and the AC.
>
> Ellison, San Francisco, Oracle Racing should open the project right and
> request that all documentation, spreadsheets, etc., etc. use open
> standards ODF software for proposals, budget spreadsheets, etc., and
> files will not be accepted in proprietary formats (ala .docx .xlsx etc).
> That should include all correspondence and the like from contenders,
> contractors, event organizers, support teams, and the like.
>
> In doing that I pretty well guarantee that by the time the AC is held,
> OpenOffice.org/Oracle Office/LibO, etc., will be pretty common. Of
> course that won't stop M$ from submitting the same files in ODF, but if
> literally thousands of M$Office users associated with AC have to save,
> receive, and transmit in that format, I reckon that they'll quickly
> learn to accept that as the standard rather than OOXML.
>
> Just a thought...

Good idea, now if someone with some "Power" behind them would suggest it. :)

Re: Propagating knowledge of Open Office?

Allisa
I'd say  "someone with some *Power* " should be rather a number of
current OO users.
If everyone of us would take care just about a few people around us, to
boost awareness of Open Source
and great free software like OO that they can use safely ....well, from
mouth to mouth, from friend to friend...
  it could be just enough to 'win the world' :-)

On 01/06/2011 03:06 PM, RA Brown wrote:
> On Thu Jan 06 2011 15:00:11 GMT-0800 (PST)  NoOp wrote:

>> In doing that I pretty well guarantee that by the time the AC is held,
>> OpenOffice.org/Oracle Office/LibO, etc., will be pretty common. Of
>> course that won't stop M$ from submitting the same files in ODF, but if
>> literally thousands of M$Office users associated with AC have to save,
>> receive, and transmit in that format, I reckon that they'll quickly
>> learn to accept that as the standard rather than OOXML.
>>
>> Just a thought...
>>

> Good idea, now if someone with some "Power" behind them would suggest it. :)

I'll bring it up with Larry & Mark at the next board meeting :-0 :-)