Proposal: Drop Win98 support with OOo 3.0 release

Proposal: Drop Win98 support with OOo 3.0 release

Martin Hollmichel - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
All,

since the efforts for supporting Windows98 and WindowsME are reasonable
high and makes maintainability of the code quite hard, I would like to
propose to drop Windows 98/ME support with the release of OOo 3.0.
Windows98 is also not supported by MS anymore and since we also want to
make use of some more advanced features of Vista I think we should be in
favor to support the move to new Windows version and drop the old ones,

Martin

Re: [releases] Proposal: Drop Win98 support with OOo 3.0 release

John McCreesh
On Mon, February 11, 2008 15:48, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
> All,
>
> since the efforts for supporting Windows98 and WindowsME are reasonable
> high and makes maintainability of the code quite hard, I would like to
> propose to drop Windows 98/ME support with the release of OOo 3.0.
> Windows98 is also not supported by MS anymore and since we also want to
> make use of some more advanced features of Vista I think we should be in
> favor to support the move to new Windows version and drop the old ones,

This has prompted a good discussion in the Marketing Project - thanks for
the opportunity to canvass opinion. Marketing has no objection to the
proposal, and we recoommend we start the communication process by
including a note in the 2.4 release notes along the lines of:

"OpenOffice.org 2.4 will be the last version of OpenOffice.org for
Microsoft Windows 98 and Me. As these versions of Windows are no longer
supported by Microsoft, it is becoming impractical to make sure they
will support all the new features planned for OpenOffice.org 3.0 and
beyond. Users of 2.4 on these platforms may be reassured that storing
their office documents in OpenDocument Format (ODF) offers the highest
degree of future proofing available in the computing industry."

John
--
John McCreesh
Marketing Project Lead

Re: Proposal: Drop Win98 support with OOo 3.0 release

Hennes Rohling

along with the drop of Win9x/ME support for OOo 3.0 codeline I'd like to
remove the Unicode emulation layer from uwinapi.dll generated in
sal/systools.

The uwinapi.dll would stay compatible as it still forwards exports from
all user and kernel APIs but the unused code for W9x would be removed.

Any objections to do so for OOo 3.0 codeline ?

- Hennes