Proposed change for download page

123

Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

there was currently in the forum the case of a user who believed AOO was also available for Windows as 64Bit.
The user points out that he got this impression because on our download page the Linux versions are marked, but not the Windows version.

I would therefore like to suggest that in the future the entry for Windows on http://www.de.openoffice.org/download/index.html should be called "Windows (x86) (EXE)" instead of "Windows (EXE)".

Should I write an issue for this, or will someone take care of it directly?

greetings,
Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Marcus (OOo)
Am 28.12.20 um 15:48 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> there was currently in the forum the case of a user who believed AOO was also available for Windows as 64Bit.
> The user points out that he got this impression because on our download page the Linux versions are marked, but not the Windows version.
>
> I would therefore like to suggest that in the future the entry for Windows on http://www.de.openoffice.org/download/index.html should be called "Windows (x86) (EXE)" instead of "Windows (EXE)".
>

> Should I write an issue for this, or will someone take care of it directly?

no need for an issue. I'll take case of this small fix.

Please note that the download page for every language needs to be changed.

May I suggest to combine this with the new upcoming release? Then both
updates can be done together.

Marcus

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2
Hello,

Thank you.

> Please note that the download page for every language needs
> to be changed.

Is this just an info or does someone need to do something additional?

Hint:
i can usually edit the web page myself, just because i don't know at all what exactly i should change at which place in the List boxes of the download page, that's why i posted the problem here on the list.

> May I suggest to combine this with the new upcoming release?
> Then both
> updates can be done together.

+1

Am 28.12.20 um 16:09 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Hello,

it's just an info for you that you cannot expect that - in this special
case - this small fix is also done in minutes.

> Hint:
> i can usually edit the web page myself, just because i don't know at all what exactly i should change at which place in the List boxes of the download page, that's why i posted the problem here on the list.

That's OK and also the best way. The download webpage is a set of many
files and we use Javascript for the "magic". So, it's not a fast fix
somewhere in the HTML stuff.

>> May I suggest to combine this with the new upcoming release?
>> Then both
>> updates can be done together.
>
> +1

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Proposed change for download page

Jim Jagielski
https://www.openoffice.org/download/ also refers to OS X <=10.6 versions, which we do not provide.

That should be removed as well, IMO.

Am 28.12.20 um 16:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> https://www.openoffice.org/download/ also refers to OS X <=10.6 versions, which we do not provide.
>
> That should be removed as well, IMO.

when you select this item, then you get a hint what you can do instead.
IMHO we have agreed in the past that this is helpful for the users.

Marcus

Am 28.12.20 um 16:23 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 28.12.20 um 16:09 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

I've prepared the update:
https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/download/index.html

If it's clearly enough, it will go out together with the new release.

Marcus

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2

yes, for me this is fine

Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 28.12.20 um 16:23 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 28.12.20 um 16:09 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>> Hello,

Personally, I don't see the need until we have a real x64 version.

Unlike on other platforms, the Windows x86 version does run perfectly on
64-bit.
And we already provide some code in 64-bit (Shell Extension) when it is
installed on Windows x64.

>> Thank you.
>>
>>> Please note that the download page for every language needs
>>> to be changed.
>>
>> Is this just an info or does someone need to do something additional?
>
> it's just an info for you that you cannot expect that - in this
> special case - this small fix is also done in minutes.
>
>> Hint:
>> i can usually edit the web page myself, just because i don't know at
>> all what exactly i should change at which place in the List boxes of
>> the download page, that's why i posted the problem here on the list.
>
> That's OK and also the best way. The download webpage is a set of many
> files and we use Javascript for the "magic". So, it's not a fast fix
> somewhere in the HTML stuff.
Since the page moved to GitHub, everyone can open a Pull Request. This
is much easier now than it was with SVN.

Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to justify the labeling as x86.

It is true that most users would not even notice if they were working with a 64 or 32 bit AOO, were it not for the question of Java.
For exactly this reason the marking x86 is meaningful for the user because an omission does not lead to the fact that the user does not notice anything, but he gets real problems if he does not know that he must install the JRE in 32 bit.

Incidentally, the concealment that the Windows version is 32 bit also creates the impression that this could be intentional, to conceal a vacancy - exactly so the whole thing has already been commented in the forum.

Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Marcus (OOo)

> Hi Marcus,
>
> Am 28.12.20 um 16:23 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 28.12.20 um 16:09 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>>> Hello,

sure, but the difficulty to understand the download website is still the
same. ;-)

Marcus

Am 28.12.20 um 17:27 schrieb Marcus:

>> Hi Marcus,

Jörg said he was able to update the page before...

So he could easily do the work himself. ;-)

Matthias

> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2

mmh... Actually I said exactly the opposite (or I think I said it), that I _can't_ do it.
What I can do is edit 'normal' web pages of our website, but not special pages like the download site.

(Sorry, the only reason to write the above is that my statement may have been really misleading. Communicating in English is very difficult for me and my English is more from DeepL than myself)

Jörg

Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Bidouille

> Personally, I don't see the need until we have a real x64 version.
+1

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2

Don't you care if users can't find their way around and therefore stop using AOO?

That was exactly the result of the thread that prompted me to suggest a small correction on the download page.

The thread is unfortunately in German, but here is the link:
http://de.openoffice.info/viewtopic.php?p=293070#p293070

Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Dave Fisher-3

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 29, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

You should have started your discussion with this context.

It is better to discuss the actual problem which is that Windows users of AOO don’t know that they require a 32 bit Java than it is to suggest a minor fix to the download page.

Thanks,
Dave

> Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Peter Kovacs-3

On 29.12.20 18:25, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 29, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Java 32 bit is part of the release notes.

> Thanks,
> Dave
>

>> Jörg

RE: Proposed change for download page

Jörg Schmidt-2

That is exactly what I did.

I wrote literally:
"there was currently in the forum the case of a user who believed AOO was also available for Windows as 64Bit."

Actually unnecessary to explain this on a Developers(!) mailing list, but I did that too:

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity to justify the labeling as x86.

It is true that most users would not even notice if they were working with a 64 or 32 bit AOO, were it not for the question of Java.
For exactly this reason the marking x86 is meaningful for the user because an omission does not lead to the fact that the user does not notice anything, but he gets real problems if he does not know that he must install the JRE in 32 bit."

Jörg

Re: Proposed change for download page

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 18:31:23 +0100
Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29.12.20 18:25, Dave Fisher wrote:
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

Which, experience on en-Forum indicates, no average user ever reads!

Rory

> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >

> >> Jörg

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Proposed change for download page

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 29.12.20 um 18:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> On 29.12.20 18:25, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Users don't read Release Notes. ;-)

And after the change I expect users to ask, why they can't find a
version for their 64-bit Windows...
You cannot do it right!

Regards,

   Matthias