Q: color models when exporting/printing of raster images

Q: color models when exporting/printing of raster images

Innocenti Maresin-2
Hello!

I am not (yet) a developper of OpenOffice, but going to seek a solution
which will improve OpenOffice Writer's usability in desktop publishing.

AFAIK all raster images stored internally in OpenDocument are in RGB,
but OpenOffice Writer can use external (linked) images in a document.
Unfortunally, even if image files use the CMYK color model,
such images may appear in RGB in PostScript output, at least in some cases.
I asked this question at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=349217
, but got no reply.

Please, suggest, what options could control raster image exporting
(particularly color models conversion),
or, if such options are not available now,
what software components should be redesigned.

--
qq~~~~\ [ ЗА IP БЕЗ ЦЕНЗУРЫ ]
/ /\   \ [ IrcCity ]

Re: Q: color models when exporting/printing of raster images

Philipp Lohmann
Hi,

Innocenti Maresin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am not (yet) a developper of OpenOffice, but going to seek a solution
> which will improve OpenOffice Writer's usability in desktop publishing.
>
> AFAIK all raster images stored internally in OpenDocument are in RGB,
> but OpenOffice Writer can use external (linked) images in a document.
> Unfortunally, even if image files use the CMYK color model,
> such images may appear in RGB in PostScript output, at least in some cases.

Unless your graphic is an EPS which may be exported directly into
PostScript output,
I'd expect allof them to be RGB.

> I asked this question at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=349217
> , but got no reply.
>
> Please, suggest, what options could control raster image exporting
> (particularly color models conversion),
> or, if such options are not available now,
> what software components should be redesigned.

Sorry, there is currently no color model support whatsoever aside from
uncalibrated RGB. That would have to be a change from the ground up.

Kind regards, pl

--
"One SVN to rule them all, One SVN to check out from,
  One SVN to commit them all and on the harddisks bind them

Re: Q: color models when exporting/printing of raster images

Fernand Vanrie
Innocenti ,

I will follow with great interest your work, we uses for years OO as our
"only" desktop publishing tool and we publisch over 8.000 fullcolor
pages a year

To avoid the CMYK problems ( whats is  pure temoparly because the
professional printers are fastly moving to a RGB workflow where just
before printing the RGB images are converted to CMYK.
We use for the moment a "private" workflow: We stores our CMYK-eps
images on a server and uses RGB lowres copys embeded  in the
OO-documents and just before we makes our CMYK-PDF's we change the
embeded rgb-lowres images with a link to the serverbased CMYK
EPS-images. The secret is in using EPS because on Windows (do not know
about others), the internal Postscript pinter driver who is used to
makes the PDF do not thouch the EPS(=spostscript) images and leaves them
in CMYK. So we have at the end CMYK PDf 's who can be used by every
professional printer.

If you can/will make OO better, please put your efforts in handling the
different pixel resolutions needed to handle proper Desktop Publishing.
At the moment  OO uses the DPI (when pressent in the original picture
our when not pressent uses 96 DPI.. The DPI must been diffined by the
final printer output and not by the DPI stored in the images....
- For Porfessional printers  254-300 DPI
- for laser printing 150 DPI
- for screen and web 96 DPI

- A better cropping-tool  (I can give you our private written in Basic)
could also been handy
- Global changing off images....

Hope it helps

Fernand

> Hello!
>
> I am not (yet) a developper of OpenOffice, but going to seek a solution
> which will improve OpenOffice Writer's usability in desktop publishing.
>
> AFAIK all raster images stored internally in OpenDocument are in RGB,
> but OpenOffice Writer can use external (linked) images in a document.
> Unfortunally, even if image files use the CMYK color model,
> such images may appear in RGB in PostScript output, at least in some cases.
> I asked this question at http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=349217
> , but got no reply.
>
> Please, suggest, what options could control raster image exporting
> (particularly color models conversion),
> or, if such options are not available now,
> what software components should be redesigned.

Re: Q: color models when exporting/printing of raster images

christian.lippka
Hi Fernand,

Fernand Vanrie wrote:

> - A better cropping-tool  (I can give you our private written in Basic)
> could also been handy
What is the difference between your tool and OOo cropping? If you like
to contribute it I could add it to the OOo distribution.

> - Global changing off images....
I'm not sure what you mean by this one.
Can you give a step by step use case on how this should work for you?
(Imagine an OOo where this is already implemented and you describe
someone how to use it)

Regards,
Christian

Christian Lippka wrote:
> Hi Fernand,
>
> Fernand Vanrie wrote:
>
>> - A better cropping-tool  (I can give you our private written in
>> Basic)  could also been handy
> What is the difference between your tool and OOo cropping?
"Cropping" must been a visual tool, starting with the dimensions off the
final cropping the users must/can move the wanted croparea over the
existing image to decide what part off theimage must been cropped.
Simultanly the image must/can been zoomed.
I build it with a OO-dialog and Basic, please give me a URL where I can
drop a working document.
> If you like
> to contribute it I could add it to the OOo distribution.
>
>> - Global changing off images....
> I'm not sure what you mean by this one.
> Can you give a step by step use case on how this should work for you?
In our case we have our lowres Images embeded in the document, to
changes this images with the CMYK versions on the server I made a macro
who changes in 1 go all the URL's. Therfore i miss-used one off the
image information-fields to store the serverbasedURL.
So to make this available without writing a macro, we need a extra
URLfield in the image  and a standard routine who can change the
imageURL's based on the contend of this extra field or based on some
paterns in the exiting imageURL's.