QA and You and Marketing...

Louis Suárez-Potts
Hi,
I'd like to send this message out to the big and busy dev@marketing project and possibly other lists, but want to ensure that I can send the expected volunteers who step up to the right place. What I want is to engage the teams to help out with QA and qualify the RCs. But I don't want to merely produce anti-productive chaos. So, suggestions from the experts on these lists is very much welcome.

Thanks
Louis

--

All,

As you know, not all of our many, many languages are ready at the same time. We've always had this situation and always dealt with it. With the release of 3.3, and with the great increase in OOo's global popularity, we've received some queries from individuals wanting to download the latest version in their language… except that their language may not be ready yet. What is needed is both vital and also fairly easy to accomplish: we need to download the RC 10 that is out there, test it according to the provisions the QA project stipulates, and "qualify" the RCs.

So, I'm asking you—the members of the Marketing Project, to see if you can help out. Visit the QA project—http://qa.openoffice.org/—and ask where you can lend a hand.

Re: QA and You and Marketing...

Andrea Pescetti
Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> What I want is to engage the teams to help out with QA and qualify the
> RCs. But I don't want to merely produce anti-productive chaos. So,
> suggestions from the experts on these lists is very much welcome.

You may want to specify that the "Release Sanity" manual tests do not
require any particular expertise and take a couple hours to run. At
least, this is what I write on the Italian mailing lists for our
routinary testing (and all the Italian builds we wanted to test have now
been approved, so we won't forward this call to the Italian mailing
lists since it is not needed).

Spelling out that "RC" means "Release Candidate" won't harm either.

Regards,
  Andrea Pescetti - Italian N-L Project Lead.

Re: QA and You and Marketing...

Kazunari Hirano
Hi Louis and Andrea,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You may want to specify that the "Release Sanity" manual tests do not
> require any particular expertise and take a couple hours to run.
+1  This is a good idea.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Sanity_Check_Of_L10n_Builds
This wiki page may be useful.

> Spelling out that "RC" means "Release Candidate" won't harm either.
+1
Thanks,
khirano
--
Kazunari Hirano - Marketing Project Coordinator - OpenOffice.org
Japanese Language Project

Re: QA and You and Marketing...

Louis Suárez-Potts

On 2011-02-02, at 19:02 , Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> What I want is to engage the teams to help out with QA and qualify the
>> RCs. But I don't want to merely produce anti-productive chaos. So,
>> suggestions from the experts on these lists is very much welcome.
>
> You may want to specify that the "Release Sanity" manual tests do not
> require any particular expertise and take a couple hours to run. At
> least, this is what I write on the Italian mailing lists for our
> routinary testing (and all the Italian builds we wanted to test have now
> been approved, so we won't forward this call to the Italian mailing
> lists since it is not needed).
>
> Spelling out that "RC" means "Release Candidate" won't harm either.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea Pescetti - Italian N-L Project Lead.

Thanks!

louis