Question about bibliographic aspects of Writer

Question about bibliographic aspects of Writer

Quijada, J. B.
Hi!

I recently switched to open office and so far I like it a great deal but
the lack of bibliographic software compatibility is a big problem, so I
wish all you developers godspeed! Please add me to the email list, if
there is one (the most recent posts seem quite old) and I would be glad
to give user feedback on what is needed/desirable in a bibliographic
program or test beta versions for you.

My question is this. I have my bibliographic data file. Can I load this
pre-existing data into writer's bibliographic function in one shot? Or
does this have to be done reference by reference?  The file exists in
both zotero and endnotes formats. I'd rather load the zotero version,
but the endnotes one is acceptable if that's the best that can be done.
Thing is, I don't want to bother to learn to use the existing
bibliography function if I have to enter all the data piece by piece and
start my bibliography over from scratch. The existing database is the
result of years of graduate work.  And am I correct in reading the
instructions that there is no 'notes' field in the current software?
Would this aspect of the data be lost?

And related, has anyone ever tried to configure open office's database
program to handle bibliographic references? I haven't used a database
program in just about forever, but I'm willing to learn again if it can
be done, but I have zero programming skills.

The reason I ask is - I had a very old version of endnotes on a computer
that died. I switched to zotero on the new computer, and I love zotero
so far, especially the screen capture functions, for web based research
(although I have not tried cite as you write with it yet and am unsure
if this is possible) but I am now having malware problems with firefox.
I am a mac user who recently switched to a pc netbook and I am totally
out of my element here.  Even if I get the malware cleaned out, this
could happen again, and as an academic, not getting to my bibliographic
data is a HUGE problem, so a stand alone program seems better. But
endnotes doesn't work with open office, and I don't want to go back to
Microsoft Word, since, so far, I really like open office much better.
Refworks is also web based.  So my data exists in both zotero and
endnotes forms, I can currently get to it in neither one of these, and
both seem like bad choices under the circumstances, but I can't find a
better one.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Sincerely,

Justine Q

Re: Question about bibliographic aspects of Writer

Divakar Ramachandran
Hi Justine,

I suggest that you take a look at JabRef (jabref.sourceforge.net, or Google for it). This is a stand-alone Java based bibliographic software that I run on both Microsoft Windows and Linux OS; I have also used it on a Mac when I was a Post-doc in the US. The advantages fro your (as I see it) are : you get a stand-alone software that is truly portable across a variety of operating systems; you can import your existing databases, if you are able to export it to one of the many import formats supported by JabRef - I am not sure that you can directly import an EndNote file into JabRef; there are instructions on the JabRef site that you could use to import existing databases into OO.o's biblio database; there are also instructions on the website for inserting citations into OO.o Writer. In addition when you use most literature search sites, you have the option of saving them in bib / ris formats that can be directly imported into JabRef.

Best Wishes,
Div.

Divakar Ramachandran
Anupuram, TN 603102, INDIA

> [...]
> if this is possible) but I am now having malware problems
> with firefox.
> I am a mac user who recently switched to a pc netbook and I
> am totally
> out of my element here.  Even if I get the malware
> cleaned out, this
> could happen again, and as an academic, not getting to my
> bibliographic
> data is a HUGE problem, so a stand alone program seems
> better. But
> endnotes doesn't work with open office, and I don't want to
> Microsoft Word, since, so far, I really like open office
> much better.
> Refworks is also web based.  So my data exists in both
> zotero and
> endnotes forms, I can currently get to it in neither one of
> these, and
> both seem like bad choices under the circumstances, but I

      Try the new Yahoo! India Homepage. Click here. http://in.yahoo.com/trynew

Re: Question about bibliographic aspects of Writer

Bruce D'Arcus
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Divakar Ramachandran
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suggest that you take a look at JabRef (jabref.sourceforge.net, or Google for it).

JabRef may be a good BibTeX manager, but it is not a reasonable
alternative to Endnote if you need to format your word/openoffice/etc
documents. For that, I suggest Zotero.

Bruce

Re: Question about bibliographic aspects of Writer

David Wilson-7
Quijada, J. B. wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently switched to open office and so far I like it a great deal but
> the lack of bibliographic software compatibility is a big problem, so I
> wish all you developers godspeed! Please add me to the email list, if
> there is one (the most recent posts seem quite old) and I would be glad
> to give user feedback on what is needed/desirable in a bibliographic
> program or test beta versions for you.

If you would like to be on the mailing list you need to register on the
OpenOffice website and then go to the Bibliographic project at:
http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/
The select the membership option to become a member. You can then select
the mailing list options you prefer.
> My question is this. I have my bibliographic data file. Can I load this
> pre-existing data into writer's bibliographic function in one shot? Or
> does this have to be done reference by reference?  The file exists in
> both zotero and endnotes formats. I'd rather load the zotero version,
> but the endnotes one is acceptable if that's the best that can be done.

Have you installed  the Zotero/Openoffice plugin to OpenOffice? see
http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

With this you can directly insert your Zotero citations into OpenOffice.

> Thing is, I don't want to bother to learn to use the existing
> bibliography function if I have to enter all the data piece by piece and
> start my bibliography over from scratch.
I agree it is not worth bothering with.

> The existing database is the
> result of years of graduate work.  And am I correct in reading the
> instructions that there is no 'notes' field in the current software?
> Would this aspect of the data be lost?

I am not sure what you mean here.

> And related, has anyone ever tried to configure open office's database
> program to handle bibliographic references? I haven't used a database
> program in just about forever, but I'm willing to learn again if it can
> be done, but I have zero programming skills.

There is already a bibliographic database in OpenOffice Writer.

Menu: Tools->Bibliographic Database.
and Menu: Insert->Indexes and Tables->Bibliographic Entry

> The reason I ask is - I had a very old version of endnotes on a computer
> that died. I switched to zotero on the new computer, and I love zotero
> so far, especially the screen capture functions, for web based research
> (although I have not tried cite as you write with it yet and am unsure
> if this is possible)
Yes it is.
>  but I am now having malware problems with firefox.

I suggest you export your Zotero Library and delete Firefox and
reinstall it. Or if you have set up Zotero Sync Server (see below) When
you reinstall Zotero and reconnect to the Zotero Sync Server it will
load the data back.
> I am a mac user who recently switched to a pc netbook and I am totally
> out of my element here.  Even if I get the malware cleaned out, this
> could happen again, and as an academic, not getting to my bibliographic
> data is a HUGE problem, so a stand alone program seems better.
Have you tried the  Zotero Sync Server - this makes a remote backup of
your Zotero Database ? You access this from  your Zotero Preferences menu.
> But
> endnotes doesn't work with open office,
The latest version of Endnotes X3 does have an OpenOffice Plugin.

> and I don't want to go back to
> Microsoft Word, since, so far, I really like open office much better.
> Refworks is also web based.  So my data exists in both zotero and
> endnotes forms, I can currently get to it in neither one of these, and
> both seem like bad choices under the circumstances, but I can't find a
> better one.
>

> Any thoughts would be welcome.

Try the Zotero/Openoffice plugin.

Consider going back to the MAC or installing Linux on your netbook  -
less malware.

Good Luck

regards

David Wilson