Question about bibliographyy

Sun, Mingzhai
I used Jabref to export using opendocument spreadsheet.
Then when I use openoffice to cite the references, the format of
authors is not changable.
I got something like the following:
John A van Aalst and William Burmeister and Paul L Fox and Linda M Graham 2004. Alpha-tocopherol preserves endothelial cell migration in the presence of cell-oxidized low-density lipoprotein by inhibitingchanges in cell membrane fluidity. J Vasc Surg 39:229--23

What I need is:
Lastname, Firstinitial., xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
for example Fox, P.L., Burmeister, W., and Graham, L.M. 2004. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How can I do that?

Thanks a lot.

Re: Question about bibliographyy

David Wilson-7
Mingzhai,

        As you have discovered the OpenOffice bibliographic facility does not provide
any means to select or change the format of author names.

I can think of several options -

* Manually edit the author fields in your database to the format needed.

* write a small program to reformat the names in the database. This is tricky
as you have to deal with two part names such as 'John A van Aalst'.

* find a software utility that will  reformat the names in the database. I
 remember reading about software utilities that 'cleaned' bibtext
bibliographic databases.  There is a program called bibclean but it does
this-

    "Personal names in author and editor field values are normalized to the
      form ``P. D. Q. Bach'',  from ``P.D.Q. Bach'' and ``Bach, P.D.Q.''."

Which is not quite what you want. I have not found a better one.

I am sorry I can not be or more help. The Bibliographic Project is working on
building a better OpenOffice Bibliographic facility.

good luck

David

On Monday 05 June 2006 1:50 pm, you wrote:

> I used Jabref to export using opendocument spreadsheet.
> Then when I use openoffice to cite the references, the format of
> authors is not changable.
> I got something like the following:
> John A van Aalst and William Burmeister and Paul L Fox and Linda M Graham
> 2004. Alpha-tocopherol preserves endothelial cell migration in the presence
> of cell-oxidized low-density lipoprotein by inhibitingchanges in cell
> membrane fluidity. J Vasc Surg 39:229--23
>

> What I need is:
> Lastname, Firstinitial., xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> for example Fox, P.L., Burmeister, W., and Graham, L.M. 2004.
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Re: Re: Question about bibliographyy

lorenzo de lellis
Maybe bibus could help you with author names.

http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Kind regards,
Lorenzo