Question about making Open Office my default

Question about making Open Office my default

Karen Votava
I used Open Office on my prior Macbook Pro and when I bought a newer Macbook Pro, Pages became the default. When I open a document created in Open Office it gets saved as a Pages doc.  I do not want to use Pages and need a way to make Open Office me default.  I cannot delete Pages from my computer since so many docs are now Pages docs—I will have to export them to Open Office first.  But, does anyone know how to make Open Office the default?  Karen V.

Re: Question about making Open Office my default

Glen Kohler
Hi Karen—

Here’s what you do:

1. Click on an incon for the file type you want to always open with AOO while simultaneously holding down the Control key.

2. Release the Control key and hover the cursor over ‘Open With’

3. Hold down the Option key; ‘Open With’ will change to ‘Always Open With’.

4. Select Open Office. You may have to first select ‘Other’ if AOO does not appear as one of the first choices in the resulting list.

Regards,

Glen - AKA the Mac Help Desk….