Question for Blended Learning

Doris Gardner
Does Open Office offer a solution for users on ChromeBooks?

Our county schools will have 'blended learning'  where students have
face-to-face instruction two days a week and work at home online three days
a week. Our county is have 1-to-1 digital initiative where all students
grades 4-12 will receive a Chromebook to use for at-home distance learning.

We have traditionally used Microsoft Office Access to teach units on
database concepts. We are looking for options that will enable us to teach
that unit using other platforms on Chromebooks.

Thank you for any insight you can provide

Re: Question for Blended Learning

Dan Lewis

On 8/3/20 14:04, Doris Gardner wrote:

> Does Open Office offer a solution for users on ChromeBooks?
>
> Our county schools will have 'blended learning'  where students have
> face-to-face instruction two days a week and work at home online three days
> a week. Our county is have 1-to-1 digital initiative where all students
> grades 4-12 will receive a Chromebook to use for at-home distance learning.
>
> We have traditionally used Microsoft Office Access to teach units on
> database concepts. We are looking for options that will enable us to teach
> that unit using other platforms on Chromebooks.
>
> Thank you for any insight you can provide
> Open Office and LibreOffice be installed on chromebook. Instructions
> for installing LibreOffice are found here:
> https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/29506100?hl=en. I don's
> see any reason why Open Office could not be installed the same way.
> (LibreOffice is a fork of Open Office.) You might want to check out
> both of these programs to see which one you might want to use. There
> are also user guides that can be downloaded for free.

In case you did not know, both of these programs' license allows you to
download the installation file and then install it on as many computers
as you have. There is no cost for downloading the program either. (A
copy of the license comes with the download file.)

Dan

>> https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/29506100?hl=en
>> https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/29506100?hl=en

Re: Question for Blended Learning

Alan Boba-2
Doris,

Following up Dan's note, here is a link I found with detailed instructions
how to install OpenOffice on a Chromebook. The article is dated July this
year so it is as current as possible.

http://www.linuxmadesimple.info/2020/07/how-to-install-openoffice-on-chromebook.html

I saw that Google Docs includes an app called "Forms". It may or may not
enable teaching the database concepts in your lesson. From the looking I
did, there didn't seem to be a way to review the underlying structure.

I also found that Google has a product called "Google Cloud Databases".
These included traditional SQL, e.g. MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and
others, as well as noSQL databases. There is a free option with this
product. You would have to check with Google to ask if there is an
educational option.

These two options are mentioned because Chromebooks are designed for
connected use and it generally requires some extra work, per the
instructions in the link, to install local programs on them as is done with
a traditional Windows pc/laptop.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011