Question on modification while hyphenating

Question on modification while hyphenating

Ruud Baars-2
Most of the time, hyphenation is 'just' inserting a dash. But not always.

For Dutch breaking botsautootje is correct like bots-autootje and
botsauto-tje, the latter one by modificating the word.
The same happens in words like geïnd, which should be
hyphenated(presented) as ge-ind.

I can think of two ways to handle these situations :
1) stopping the hyphenations at these locations (simple but not elegant)
2) modifying the word during hyphenation, but keeping the 'normal' form
for recovery while editing the text (elegant but difficult).

Is modification of a word while hyphenating it already supported in some
way?
If not, is it somwhere in the feature request list or planning?

Could anyone please inform me on this topic? I would like to know before
investing effort in starting recalibration of the Dutch hyphenation,
which could be necessary because rules for compounding have changed.

Thanks.

R.J. Baars
(member of opentaal.org)

Re: Question on modification while hyphenating

Peter B. West-2
r.j.baars wrote:

> Most of the time, hyphenation is 'just' inserting a dash. But not always.
>
> For Dutch breaking botsautootje is correct like bots-autootje and
> botsauto-tje, the latter one by modificating the word.
> The same happens in words like geïnd, which should be
> hyphenated(presented) as ge-ind.
>
> I can think of two ways to handle these situations :
> 1) stopping the hyphenations at these locations (simple but not elegant)
> 2) modifying the word during hyphenation, but keeping the 'normal' form
> for recovery while editing the text (elegant but difficult).
>
> Is modification of a word while hyphenating it already supported in some
> way?
> If not, is it somwhere in the feature request list or planning?
>
> Could anyone please inform me on this topic? I would like to know before
> investing effort in starting recalibration of the Dutch hyphenation,
> which could be necessary because rules for compounding have changed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> R.J. Baars
> (member of opentaal.org)

Modification while hyphenation *is* already supported, notably in
Hungarian. László Németh will no doubt respond to you here. See hunspell
<http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/> and László's paper for TUGboat
<http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/tb87nemeth.pdf>.

I'm interested because I support a Java hyphenation module, HyFo
<http://defoe.sourceforge.net/hyfo/hyfo.html> which also supports
modification during hyphenation, and I need the definitions for Dutch,
preferably both new and previous versions. I would much appreciate
access to the hyphenation data you develop.

Peter West

Re: Question on modification while hyphenating

Ruud Baars-2
Peter,

Thanks for the info. Looks rather complex to me.

I would expect any of these programs to just accept an input list of
words with correct hyphenations in some format like:
botsautootjes=bots-au-too=to-tjes, generating all possibilites for the word.

Is there a format like this? In that case, i could rater easily generate
one ...

Ruud