Question, story for Computerworld

Paul Heltzel
Hi--

I'm trying to confirm something for a story for Computerworld, on
alternatives to MS Office.

In Apache OpenOffice, you can't save as .docx, is that correct?

I noticed that this is possible in LibreOffice.

In OpenOffice, I attempted to save as Microsoft 2003/XML and was
prompted to first download Java. After doing so, my Apache OpenOffice
Writer saved with an .xml extension.

Can I just confirm that Apache OpenOffice does not write .docx files?
And what would be the scenario where someone would prefer to save as
Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)?

Thank you!

Best,

Paul

--
Paul Heltzel

skycurrentmedia.com
http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Re: Question, story for Computerworld

Glen Kohler
Paul—

You might consider downloading and installing AOO for research.

4.1.5 for Mac does not save in .docx. It does save as MS 2003 in .xml.

Regards,

Glen

On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Paul Heltzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> I'm trying to confirm something for a story for Computerworld, on
> alternatives to MS Office.
>
> In Apache OpenOffice, you can't save as .docx, is that correct?
>
> I noticed that this is possible in LibreOffice.
>
> In OpenOffice, I attempted to save as Microsoft 2003/XML and was
> prompted to first download Java. After doing so, my Apache OpenOffice
> Writer saved with an .xml extension.
>
> Can I just confirm that Apache OpenOffice does not write .docx files?
> And what would be the scenario where someone would prefer to save as
> Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best,
>
> Paul
>

> --
> Paul Heltzel
>
> skycurrentmedia.com
> http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Re: Question, story for Computerworld

Paul Heltzel
Thanks Glen. I have installed AOO on a PC, just looking to confirm that
saving as .docx is a feature of LibreOffice but not of OpenOffice. That's
what I'm seeing, along with what I mentioned, that AOO can save, for
example, Word or Excel files as .xml (but I'm not sure why you might want
to, what the Office 2003/xml version means).

I'm hoping to reach one of the AOO developers.

Best--Paul

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Glen Kohler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul—
>
> You might consider downloading and installing AOO for research.
>
> 4.1.5 for Mac does not save in .docx. It does save as MS 2003 in .xml.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glen
>
> On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Paul Heltzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi--
> >
> > I'm trying to confirm something for a story for Computerworld, on
> > alternatives to MS Office.
> >
> > In Apache OpenOffice, you can't save as .docx, is that correct?
> >
> > I noticed that this is possible in LibreOffice.
> >
> > In OpenOffice, I attempted to save as Microsoft 2003/XML and was
> > prompted to first download Java. After doing so, my Apache OpenOffice
> > Writer saved with an .xml extension.
> >
> > Can I just confirm that Apache OpenOffice does not write .docx files?
> > And what would be the scenario where someone would prefer to save as
> > Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > --
> > Paul Heltzel
> >
> > skycurrentmedia.com
> > http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Paul Heltzel

skycurrentmedia.com
http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Re: Question, story for Computerworld

Andrea Pescetti-2
Paul Heltzel wrote:
> I'm hoping to reach one of the AOO developers.

This mailing list is for mutual support between OpenOffice users.

Press inquires should be sent to [hidden email]

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Question, story for Computerworld

Glen Kohler
Paul—

I don’t know how meaningful .docx format really is. I use Word for Mac 2008, and occasionally 2011(hate the interface), including OLE with Excel and mail merge. Either format does pretty much the same stuff, so I set the default save to .doc so everyone can open it.

Libre Office for Mac, last time I looked, had problems printing business size envelopes. AOO seems to have overcome that hurdle, making it the preferred OpenSource candidate to replace Word at this time.

Pax,

Glen

On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:56 AM, Paul Heltzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Glen. I have installed AOO on a PC, just looking to confirm that
> saving as .docx is a feature of LibreOffice but not of OpenOffice. That's
> what I'm seeing, along with what I mentioned, that AOO can save, for
> example, Word or Excel files as .xml (but I'm not sure why you might want
> to, what the Office 2003/xml version means).
>
> I'm hoping to reach one of the AOO developers.
>
> Best--Paul
>

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Glen Kohler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Paul—
>>
>> You might consider downloading and installing AOO for research.
>>
>> 4.1.5 for Mac does not save in .docx. It does save as MS 2003 in .xml.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Glen
>>
>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Paul Heltzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi--
>>>
>>> I'm trying to confirm something for a story for Computerworld, on
>>> alternatives to MS Office.
>>>
>>> In Apache OpenOffice, you can't save as .docx, is that correct?
>>>
>>> I noticed that this is possible in LibreOffice.
>>>
>>> In OpenOffice, I attempted to save as Microsoft 2003/XML and was
>>> prompted to first download Java. After doing so, my Apache OpenOffice
>>> Writer saved with an .xml extension.
>>>
>>> Can I just confirm that Apache OpenOffice does not write .docx files?
>>> And what would be the scenario where someone would prefer to save as
>>> Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>>> --
>>> Paul Heltzel
>>>
>>> skycurrentmedia.com
>>> http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

> Paul Heltzel
>
> skycurrentmedia.com
> http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

RE: Question, story for Computerworld

Geoffrey Hartwell
The .docx option did not appear available in a recently installed version of AOO in Windows 10, if that's any help

With kind regards,
Geoffrey Hartwell
Eur Ing Professor Geoffrey M. Beresford Hartwell CEng
FIMechE FIET SenMIEEE(USA) FCIArb FICArb(India)
[hidden email]
http://www.arbitrator-engineer-gbh.co.uk/
Consulting Engineer, Chartered Arbitrator, and FIDIC Accredited Adjudicator

Thanks Glen. I have installed AOO on a PC, just looking to confirm that saving as .docx is a feature of LibreOffice but not of OpenOffice. That's what I'm seeing, along with what I mentioned, that AOO can save, for example, Word or Excel files as .xml (but I'm not sure why you might want to, what the Office 2003/xml version means).

I'm hoping to reach one of the AOO developers.

Best--Paul

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Glen Kohler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul—
>
> You might consider downloading and installing AOO for research.
>
> 4.1.5 for Mac does not save in .docx. It does save as MS 2003 in .xml.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glen
>
> On Jan 24, 2018, at 11:15 AM, Paul Heltzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi--
> >
> > I'm trying to confirm something for a story for Computerworld, on
> > alternatives to MS Office.
> >
> > In Apache OpenOffice, you can't save as .docx, is that correct?
> >
> > I noticed that this is possible in LibreOffice.
> >
> > In OpenOffice, I attempted to save as Microsoft 2003/XML and was
> > prompted to first download Java. After doing so, my Apache
> > OpenOffice Writer saved with an .xml extension.
> >
> > Can I just confirm that Apache OpenOffice does not write .docx files?
> > And what would be the scenario where someone would prefer to save as
> > Microsoft Word 2003 XML (.xml)?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > --
> > Paul Heltzel
> >
> > skycurrentmedia.com
> > http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Paul Heltzel

skycurrentmedia.com
http://heltzel.pressfolios.com/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-heltzel-9175b61/

Re: Question, story for Computerworld

Paul Heltzel
Thank you all! Really appreciate the responses. I've been pointed to the
press email address -- much appreciated.

Best--Paul