Question

Luther Coston
I have seen the program, OpenOffice, on the Kim Kommando website and have a
question.  Is an element of the program similar (or like) VISIO in Microsoft
Office?  I am most appreciative and look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Lutrher Coston

Re: Question

Johnny Rosenberg
Den 2010-10-23 22:27:44 skrev Luther Coston <[hidden email]>:

> I have seen the program, OpenOffice, on the Kim Kommando website and
> have a
> question.  Is an element of the program similar (or like) VISIO in
> Microsoft
> Office?  I am most appreciative and look forward to your response.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Lutrher Coston

No.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Question

Simon Brouwer
Op 25-10-2010 21:11, Johnny Rosenberg schreef:

> Den 2010-10-23 22:27:44 skrev Luther Coston <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I have seen the program, OpenOffice, on the Kim Kommando website and
>> have a
>> question.  Is an element of the program similar (or like) VISIO in
>> Microsoft
>> Office?  I am most appreciative and look forward to your response.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Lutrher Coston
>
> No.

Well, it depends what you want and how similar to Visio you want it.
For example, drawing flowcharts is quite easy to do in Draw, using
flowchart symbols and connectors.
See
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/creating-diagrams-openofficeorg-draw-and-impress

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Simon Brouwer.

| http://nl.openoffice.org | http://www.opentaal.org |

Re: Question

Barbara Duprey
On 10/23/2010 3:27 PM, Luther Coston wrote:
> I have seen the program, OpenOffice, on the Kim Kommando website and have a
> question.  Is an element of the program similar (or like) VISIO in Microsoft
> Office?  I am most appreciative and look forward to your response.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Lutrher Coston

[Luther ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and will probably not see messages unless directly
copied.]

The Draw component of OpenOffice.org has some similar capabilities, but I don't think it is directly
equivalent. If you tell us what you're trying to do, maybe somebody here can be more help. The
Getting Started guide may be of interest to you; Chapter 7 of this PDF is about Draw.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/0100GS3-GettingStartedOOo3.pdf

Re: Visio Question

Michael Adams-2
On Sunday 24 October 2010 09:27, Luther Coston wrote:
> I have seen the program, OpenOffice, on the Kim Kommando website and have a
> question.  Is an element of the program similar (or like) VISIO in
> Microsoft Office?  I am most appreciative and look forward to your
> response.

Visio save formats are proprietary, owned by Microsoft, and they don't want
anyone else to use them in another program. This is called "vendor lock-in".
It is when you get locked into one vendor and their product, and as others
upgrade you have to pay to upgrade as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock_in

There are many alternative drawing programs each with various degrees of
similarity. None are directly compatible.
 * Dia
 * Draw (as part of OpenOffice.org)
 * Inkscape
 * The GIMP
 * Photoshop (Proprietary)
 * Autocad (Proprietary)
To list a few.

To take existing Visio images and use them in other programs could be
problematic if you want the full vector graphic image. Look for export
options in Visio as your first choice.

Alternatively if you do not have Visio you can at least download a viewer on
Windows which allows viewing in Internet Explorer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visio#External_links
From the viewed image a raster screenshot could be taken as a last resort.

HTH
--