Question

Kathleen Q
How can I delete a text document I do not want listed on my folder icon in Open Office? Sometimes I write a text or letter whichever you want to call it and do not need to keep it anymore. I see no delete option. Please advise?Kathleen Quinlan

Re: Question

Martin Groenescheij

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 2 Feb 2018, at 11:21 pm, Kathleen Q <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How can I delete a text document I do not want listed on my folder icon in Open Office?

OpenOffice is an application to create and maintain office documents.

> Sometimes I write a text or letter whichever you want to call it and do not need to keep it anymore. I see no delete option.

You have your Operating System to do the house cleaning.

> Please advise?Kathleen Quinlan

Re: Question

Girvin Herr-2
Kathleen,

I am assuming you are concerned about the files listed in File -> Recent
Documents as your "...folder icon in Open Office". Unless someone else
here knows more, from my experience one cannot delete one file from the
file list in File -> Recent Documents. I believe there are two ways to
clear all files from this list, but both will clear the entire list and
one would have to start over to get a new list without the file you no
longer want. Here are the two methods I can think of:

1. "clear" the user profile as described over and over again on this
list. But that would clear out everything you have configured AOO for.

2. Use File -> Recent Documents and at the bottom of the list, there is
the option "Clear List". Click on that and the entire file history list
should then be blank. Of course, you will have to then add the files you
do want by opening them.

Note also, that this file list is limited to N number of files, where N
is 10 in my AOO. As new files are accessed, the oldest files over N are
removed. Therefore, you could use this "feature" to remove the file you
don't want, by adding new different files until the unwanted file is
scrolled off the bottom.

HTH.

Girvin Herr

On 03/02/18 12:05 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> Kathleen,
>
> I am assuming you are concerned about the files listed in File ->
> Recent Documents as your "...folder icon in Open Office". Unless
> someone else here knows more, from my experience one cannot delete one
> file from the file list in File -> Recent Documents. I believe there
> are two ways to clear all files from this list, but both will clear
> the entire list and one would have to start over to get a new list
> without the file you no longer want. Here are the two methods I can
> think of:
>
> 1. "clear" the user profile as described over and over again on this
> list. But that would clear out everything you have configured AOO for.
>
> 2. Use File -> Recent Documents and at the bottom of the list, there
> is the option "Clear List". Click on that and the entire file history
> list should then be blank. Of course, you will have to then add the
> files you do want by opening them.

Easier to remove the Recent Documents from the File menu under Tools ->
Customize

> Note also, that this file list is limited to N number of files, where
> N is 10 in my AOO. As new files are accessed, the oldest files over N
> are removed. Therefore, you could use this "feature" to remove the
> file you don't want, by adding new different files until the unwanted
> file is scrolled off the bottom.

If you want to see more history with the ability to remove individual
entries download the Oblivion extension

> HTH.
>
> Girvin Herr
>

> On 02/02/2018 04:41 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>
>> Sent from my mobile device.
>>
>>> On 2 Feb 2018, at 11:21 pm, Kathleen Q
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How can I delete a text document I do not want listed on my folder
>>> icon in Open Office?
>> OpenOffice is an application to create and maintain office documents.
>>
>>> Sometimes I write a text or letter whichever you want to call it and
>>> do not need to keep it anymore. I see no delete option.
>> You have your Operating System to do the house cleaning.
>>
>>> Please advise?Kathleen Quinlan

Re: Question

James Knott
One method is to use File > Open to find the file.  Then right click on
it and select delete.  That works for me, at least on Linux.

On 02/02/2018 10:30 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 03/02/18 12:05 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> Kathleen,
>>
>> I am assuming you are concerned about the files listed in File ->
>> Recent Documents as your "...folder icon in Open Office". Unless
>> someone else here knows more, from my experience one cannot delete
>> one file from the file list in File -> Recent Documents. I believe
>> there are two ways to clear all files from this list, but both will
>> clear the entire list and one would have to start over to get a new
>> list without the file you no longer want. Here are the two methods I
>> can think of:
>>
>> 1. "clear" the user profile as described over and over again on this
>> list. But that would clear out everything you have configured AOO for.
>>
>> 2. Use File -> Recent Documents and at the bottom of the list, there
>> is the option "Clear List". Click on that and the entire file history
>> list should then be blank. Of course, you will have to then add the
>> files you do want by opening them.
>
> Easier to remove the Recent Documents from the File menu under Tools
> -> Customize
>

>> Note also, that this file list is limited to N number of files, where
>> N is 10 in my AOO. As new files are accessed, the oldest files over N
>> are removed. Therefore, you could use this "feature" to remove the
>> file you don't want, by adding new different files until the unwanted
>> file is scrolled off the bottom.
>
> If you want to see more history with the ability to remove individual
> entries download the Oblivion extension
>

>> HTH.
>>
>> Girvin Herr
>>

>> On 02/02/2018 04:41 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>>
>>> Sent from my mobile device.

>>> OpenOffice is an application to create and maintain office documents.

>>> You have your Operating System to do the house cleaning.

Re: Question

Girvin Herr-2
That would delete the file off the system, not delete the file from the
AOO recently used file list. I am not sure that is what the OP wants to do.

Girvin Herr

On 02/02/2018 07:30 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 03/02/18 12:05 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>> Kathleen,
>>
>> I am assuming you are concerned about the files listed in File ->
>> Recent Documents as your "...folder icon in Open Office". Unless
>> someone else here knows more, from my experience one cannot delete
>> one file from the file list in File -> Recent Documents. I believe
>> there are two ways to clear all files from this list, but both will
>> clear the entire list and one would have to start over to get a new
>> list without the file you no longer want. Here are the two methods I
>> can think of:
>>
>> 1. "clear" the user profile as described over and over again on this
>> list. But that would clear out everything you have configured AOO for.
>>
>> 2. Use File -> Recent Documents and at the bottom of the list, there
>> is the option "Clear List". Click on that and the entire file history
>> list should then be blank. Of course, you will have to then add the
>> files you do want by opening them.
>
> Easier to remove the Recent Documents from the File menu under Tools
> -> Customize
Martin,
I don't see how to do this under Tools -> Customize. Can you be more
specific and/or give a more detailed procedure?
Girvin Herr

<snip>

Re: Question

James Knott
On 02/03/2018 02:19 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
> That would delete the file off the system, not delete the file from
> the AOO recently used file list. I am not sure that is what the OP
> wants to do.

Items in the recent files will eventually be replaced by more recent
files.  No need to delete them.

Re: Question

Martin Groenescheij

On 04/02/18 6:23 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> On 02/02/2018 07:30 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>

>> On 03/02/18 12:05 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
>>> Kathleen,
>>>
>>> I am assuming you are concerned about the files listed in File ->
>>> Recent Documents as your "...folder icon in Open Office". Unless
>>> someone else here knows more, from my experience one cannot delete
>>> one file from the file list in File -> Recent Documents. I believe
>>> there are two ways to clear all files from this list, but both will
>>> clear the entire list and one would have to start over to get a new
>>> list without the file you no longer want. Here are the two methods I
>>> can think of:
>>>
>>> 1. "clear" the user profile as described over and over again on this
>>> list. But that would clear out everything you have configured AOO for.
>>>
>>> 2. Use File -> Recent Documents and at the bottom of the list, there
>>> is the option "Clear List". Click on that and the entire file
>>> history list should then be blank. Of course, you will have to then
>>> add the files you do want by opening them.
>>
>> Easier to remove the Recent Documents from the File menu under Tools
>> -> Customize
> Martin,
> I don't see how to do this under Tools -> Customize. Can you be more
> specific and/or give a more detailed procedure?

Go to Tools -> Customize
In the Menus tab select File from the OpenOffice Menus
In the Menu Content select Recent Documents
Select Modify and Delete from the pull down menu

Note this only removes the entry from the File menu whenever you restore
the Recent Documents it still shows the last 10 entries.

As an alternative you can create a macro that clear the entries at the
moment you close OpenOffice
But to be honest I don't see any benefit to have documents removed from
the list, these type of questions are raised by people who have
time to much.

> Girvin Herr
>
> <snip>

Re: Question

Girvin Herr-2

On 02/04/2018 07:32 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> On 04/02/18 6:23 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:

>>> Easier to remove the Recent Documents from the File menu under Tools
>>> -> Customize
>> Martin,
>> I don't see how to do this under Tools -> Customize. Can you be more
>> specific and/or give a more detailed procedure?
>
> Go to Tools -> Customize
> In the Menus tab select File from the OpenOffice Menus
> In the Menu Content select Recent Documents
> Select Modify and Delete from the pull down menu
>
> Note this only removes the entry from the File menu whenever you
> restore the Recent Documents it still shows the last 10 entries.
>
> As an alternative you can create a macro that clear the entries at the
> moment you close OpenOffice
> But to be honest I don't see any benefit to have documents removed
> from the list, these type of questions are raised by people who have
> time to much.

Martin,
Yes. That is what I expected. It is all or nothing.
I must add that I rarely need to delete files from the recent files
list. The only times I could have deleted a file or two in the list is
when I needed more space for the recurring files I did want in the list.
That has been rare. I could count the number of times I wanted to delete
a file or two on one hand.
Thanks.
Girvin

>> Girvin Herr
>>
>> <snip>

Re: Question

Martin Groenescheij

On 06/02/18 5:59 AM, Girvin Herr wrote:

> On 02/04/2018 07:32 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

>>> Martin,
>>> I don't see how to do this under Tools -> Customize. Can you be more
>>> specific and/or give a more detailed procedure?
>>
>> Go to Tools -> Customize
>> In the Menus tab select File from the OpenOffice Menus
>> In the Menu Content select Recent Documents
>> Select Modify and Delete from the pull down menu
>>
>> Note this only removes the entry from the File menu whenever you
>> restore the Recent Documents it still shows the last 10 entries.
>>
>> As an alternative you can create a macro that clear the entries at
>> the moment you close OpenOffice
>> But to be honest I don't see any benefit to have documents removed
>> from the list, these type of questions are raised by people who have
>> time to much.
>>
> Martin,
> Yes. That is what I expected. It is all or nothing.

It's all or nothing in Recent Documents, not in the Oblivion Extension.

> I must add that I rarely need to delete files from the recent files
> list. The only times I could have deleted a file or two in the list is
> when I needed more space for the recurring files I did want in the
> list. That has been rare. I could count the number of times I wanted
> to delete a file or two on one hand.

I totally agree, but I'm only answering questions from users, not
judging them.