Question

William and Jane Sadowski
I'm new to your Open Office Software and have a question about the word processor
Q: Can you tell me how to get rid of the gray shading between the words when I’m working in the word processing program?
My email is: bill-jane74 @live.com.
Other than this issue I’m very happy with your software
Thank You
Bill Sadowski

Re: Question

Alan Boba-2
Bill,
The "non printing characters" display may be enabled.
Open the View menu and look for a check mark next to "Nonprinting
Characters". If there is a mark, click the item to unselect it. That should
remove the shading between words.

If that's not it, follow the menu path Tools > Options. On the left side of
the window that opens select the branch "OpenOffice Writer/Web" and within
that, "Formatting Aids". In the "Display of" section make certain "Spaces"
is not checked.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Question

David Robley
What you are seeing is non-breaking spaces, possibly as a result of
copying text from another source (likely your web browser). Non-breaking
spaces are not broken at the end of a line and are entered from the
keyboard with the Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar shortcut keys.

As these may mess with your formatting, you may wish to do a
Find/Replace to get rid of them; to do so you will need to copy the
non-breaking space into the F/R dialog.

On 19/10/18 01:43, William and Jane Sadowski wrote:
> I'm new to your Open Office Software and have a question about the word processor
> Q: Can you tell me how to get rid of the gray shading between the words when I’m working in the word processing program?
> My email is: bill-jane74 @live.com.
> Other than this issue I’m very happy with your software
> Thank You
> Bill Sadowski

Cheers
--
David Robley

NO! Taco Bell is NOT the Mexican Phone Company!

Re: Question

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:59:09 +1030
David Robley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What you are seeing is non-breaking spaces, possibly as a result of
> copying text from another source (likely your web browser). Non-breaking
> spaces are not broken at the end of a line and are entered from the
> keyboard with the Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar shortcut keys.
>
> As these may mess with your formatting, you may wish to do a
> Find/Replace to get rid of them; to do so you will need to copy the
> non-breaking space into the F/R dialog.
>

> On 19/10/18 01:43, William and Jane Sadowski wrote:
> > I'm new to your Open Office Software and have a question about the word processor
> > Q: Can you tell me how to get rid of the gray shading between the words when I’m working in the word processing program?
> > My email is: bill-jane74 @live.com.
> > Other than this issue I’m very happy with your software
> > Thank You
> > Bill Sadowski
> >

> Cheers
> --
> David Robley

If you are Pasting data from an external source, you avoid such gray spaces by using /Edit /Paste Special and selecting "Unformatted text" from the popup menu.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>