Quickstart

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quickstart

André Pereira
The Quickstart feature is amazing. It makes opening any file blazing fast.
It is unintrusive, it uses only about 40MB of ram, which is almost nothing
nowadays, it works great.
As Libreoffice removed that feature (
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/54543), OpenOffice is the only
office that still has it.
I would love to contribute to maintain and keep this feature.
I ask what are the thoughts of developers and the plans for the OpenOffice
4.1.8 related to Quickstart.
Best regards.
André.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quickstart

Pedro Lino-3
Hi André

> On 06/07/2020 2:58 PM André Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
> The Quickstart feature is amazing. It makes opening any file blazing fast.
> It is unintrusive, it uses only about 40MB of ram, which is almost nothing
> nowadays, it works great.

Quickstart used to be a good feature only for people who had enough RAM (most people did not and would disable it).
Now that most computers have more RAM than the average user actually uses (unless you are running Windows 10 in a low spec laptop...) the 40MB are in fact negligible and document loading is indeed benefited.

> I would love to contribute to maintain and keep this feature.
> I ask what are the thoughts of developers and the plans for the OpenOffice
> 4.1.8 related to Quickstart.

I am not a developer but can say for sure that it will stay unmodified in 4.1.8 (because it is an upgrade branch, so no features are added or removed, just improved or fixed)
The plans for 4.2.0 depends on new users/developers ideas and code ;)

Kind regards,
Pedro

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quickstart

André Pereira
Awesome, thanks!

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 11:14 AM Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi André
>
> > On 06/07/2020 2:58 PM André Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The Quickstart feature is amazing. It makes opening any file blazing
> fast.
> > It is unintrusive, it uses only about 40MB of ram, which is almost
> nothing
> > nowadays, it works great.
>
> Quickstart used to be a good feature only for people who had enough RAM
> (most people did not and would disable it).
> Now that most computers have more RAM than the average user actually uses
> (unless you are running Windows 10 in a low spec laptop...) the 40MB are in
> fact negligible and document loading is indeed benefited.
>
> > I would love to contribute to maintain and keep this feature.
> > I ask what are the thoughts of developers and the plans for the
> OpenOffice
> > 4.1.8 related to Quickstart.
>
> I am not a developer but can say for sure that it will stay unmodified in
> 4.1.8 (because it is an upgrade branch, so no features are added or
> removed, just improved or fixed)
> The plans for 4.2.0 depends on new users/developers ideas and code ;)
>
> Kind regards,
> Pedro
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quickstart

Peter Kovacs-3
In reply to this post by Pedro Lino-3
Hi,

> I am not a developer but can say for sure that it will stay unmodified in 4.1.8 (because it is an upgrade branch, so no features are added or removed, just improved or fixed)
> The plans for 4.2.0 depends on new users/developers ideas and code ;)

Currently there are no plans to change anything in respect of Quick
starter. I see 82 Issues where Quickstarter is mentioned. Also these are
currently not in focus for 4.2.0.

At some point we will have to review the quick starter. And for that
deay it is good to know that there are users who value the tool.

Thanks for the feedback!



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]