Quirky page numbers, only every second page

Quirky page numbers, only every second page

Marky Yiannis
I have a very frustrating problem and frankly find Open Office too complex,
certainly for me.  All the instructions on page numbering say to inserts
and to fields etc. and I do that. It numbers my pages - but only the odd
numbered ones. So page 1 has a number up at the top, NOT page 2, page 3 has
a number, NOT 4, page 5 has a number etc.

It's a 98 page playscript and actors will need to reference pages etc., so
alternate page-numbering won't be adequate. Tried googling '*Open Office
only numbering every second page*' and other permutations of that but don't
get answers, just get instructions that lead to the same problem.

This must have happened to others. Anyone know?

Marcus

Re: Quirky page numbers, only every second page

David Robley
Maybe you have set different styles for left and right pages, but only
added the page numbering in one style?

Without seeing the document we can only guess.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the
mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 8/3/20 4:22 pm, Marky Yiannis wrote:

> I have a very frustrating problem and frankly find Open Office too complex,
> certainly for me.  All the instructions on page numbering say to inserts
> and to fields etc. and I do that. It numbers my pages - but only the odd
> numbered ones. So page 1 has a number up at the top, NOT page 2, page 3 has
> a number, NOT 4, page 5 has a number etc.
>

> It's a 98 page playscript and actors will need to reference pages etc., so
> alternate page-numbering won't be adequate. Tried googling '*Open Office
> only numbering every second page*' and other permutations of that but don't
> get answers, just get instructions that lead to the same problem.
>

> This must have happened to others. Anyone know?
>

> Marcus

Cheers
--
David Robley

Personally, I like my flying brains dark and evil.

Re: Quirky page numbers, only every second page

Brian Barker-2
At 21:52 07/03/2020 -0800, Marky Yiannis wrote:
>I have a very frustrating problem and frankly find Open Office too
>complex, certainly for me.

Please don't give up: anything worth using requires a little
learning, not unlike driving a car or playing the piano.

>All the instructions on page numbering say to inserts and to fields
>etc. and I do that. It numbers my pages - but only the odd numbered
>ones. So page 1 has a number up at the top, NOT page 2, page 3 has
>a number, NOT 4, page 5 has a number etc. It's a 98 page playscript
>and actors will need to reference pages etc., so alternate
>page-numbering won't be adequate.

You will be inserting a Page Number field into a header. (You could
have chosen a footer instead.) Headers and footers are properties of
page styles. So one - perhaps unlikely - possibility is that you have
two alternating page styles, with a Page Number field only in the
header of the page style set in your odd-numbered pages.

But a more likely scenario is that you have chosen to have different
material in headers for alternate pages. Books are frequently
prepared in this way, for example, with the book title in the verso
(left-hand) header and the chapter title in the recto (right-hand)
header. In addition, it is usual to have page numbers, where they are
added, at the outside edge of each page, which again requires
different behaviour, with these page numbers right-aligned on rectos
and left-aligned on versos.

Have you perhaps chosen to place different material - play title?,
act number?, scene number? - on alternate pages? Or merely to align
page numbers differently on rectos and versos? To do this, you will
have needed to disable (untick) the option at Format | Page... |
Header | Header | Same content left/right. If you then insert a page
number on a recto (odd-numbered page), numbers will appear only on
rectos - as you say you observe. To add page numbers also on versos
(even-numbered pages), you simply need to put the cursor into the
header of a verso and repeat the action Insert | Fields > | Page Number.

This mostly assumes that you will be printing your script
double-sided. If you intend to print single-sided, you probably won't
want this arrangement. The solution then will be just to enable
(tick) the option at Format | Page... | Header | Header | Same
content left/right. In this case, removing that tick should solve your problem.

>Tried googling '*Open Office only numbering every second page*' and
>other permutations of that but don't get answers, just get
>instructions that lead to the same problem.

I think you could find information on the web if you persist. Have
you tried the documentation available from the OpenOffice web site? Start at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/OOo3.3_User_Guide_Chapters
. The information you require is under "Numbering pages" in Chapter
4, "Formatting Pages", of the Writer Guide.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker