RC2: OLE problem?

Rory O'Farrell
Using 4.1.4 RC2 (on Xubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit) and Windows 7 (in John_Ha's case) there seems to be a problem with OLE.

If in Writer one uses /Insert /OLE Object /
OpenOffice 4.1.4 Formula with Create New checked, a math formula will only display in the Writer document as "Object n".  It is always editable, but never displays as the actual formula.

If the formula is saved as a file, it can be inserted into a writer document using "Create from file" and will display, until edited, when it continues to display as "Object n".

One can insert multiple OLE objects from files and they each will display correctly as a formula, until edited.  After editing they display only as "Object n" (n is the sequential number).  Only the edited OLEs change to "Object", the unedited OLEs display as formulae.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Marcus (OOo)
Am 14.08.2017 um 19:52 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> Using 4.1.4 RC2 (on Xubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit) and Windows 7 (in John_Ha's case) there seems to be a problem with OLE.
>
> If in Writer one uses /Insert /OLE Object /
> OpenOffice 4.1.4 Formula with Create New checked, a math formula will only display in the Writer document as "Object n".  It is always editable, but never displays as the actual formula.
>
> If the formula is saved as a file, it can be inserted into a writer document using "Create from file" and will display, until edited, when it continues to display as "Object n".
>
> One can insert multiple OLE objects from files and they each will display correctly as a formula, until edited.  After editing they display only as "Object n" (n is the sequential number).  Only the edited OLEs change to "Object", the unedited OLEs display as formulae.

at least in 4.1.3 it's still OK.

There is the setting "Tools - Options - Writer - View - Graphics and
objects" to disable to show the object's content but only the name. This
isn't unchecked by accident, right?

Sorry for the maybe stupid question - esecially for you as support guru. ;-)

Marcus

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:51:58 +0200
Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 14.08.2017 um 19:52 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > Using 4.1.4 RC2 (on Xubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit) and Windows 7 (in John_Ha's case) there seems to be a problem with OLE.
> >
> > If in Writer one uses /Insert /OLE Object /
> > OpenOffice 4.1.4 Formula with Create New checked, a math formula will only display in the Writer document as "Object n".  It is always editable, but never displays as the actual formula.
> >
> > If the formula is saved as a file, it can be inserted into a writer document using "Create from file" and will display, until edited, when it continues to display as "Object n".
> >
> > One can insert multiple OLE objects from files and they each will display correctly as a formula, until edited.  After editing they display only as "Object n" (n is the sequential number).  Only the edited OLEs change to "Object", the unedited OLEs display as formulae.
>
> at least in 4.1.3 it's still OK.
>
> There is the setting "Tools - Options - Writer - View - Graphics and
> objects" to disable to show the object's content but only the name. This
> isn't unchecked by accident, right?
>
> Sorry for the maybe stupid question - esecially for you as support guru. ;-)
>
> Marcus

No offense taken at the suggestion - we can all do silly things!  I've checked the setting you mention - checked or unchecked it makes no difference to the "Object n" display.

John_Ha brought the problem to my attention - he is using RC2 on Windows 7.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Matthias Seidel
Confirmed on Windows 10 with 4.1.4 RC2.

The behavior now is similar to 4.1.3 with disabled "Tools - Options -
Writer - View - Graphics and objects"

Matthias

Am 14.08.2017 um 21:22 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:51:58 +0200
> Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 14.08.2017 um 19:52 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>>> Using 4.1.4 RC2 (on Xubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit) and Windows 7 (in John_Ha's case) there seems to be a problem with OLE.
>>>
>>> If in Writer one uses /Insert /OLE Object /
>>> OpenOffice 4.1.4 Formula with Create New checked, a math formula will only display in the Writer document as "Object n".  It is always editable, but never displays as the actual formula.
>>>
>>> If the formula is saved as a file, it can be inserted into a writer document using "Create from file" and will display, until edited, when it continues to display as "Object n".
>>>
>>> One can insert multiple OLE objects from files and they each will display correctly as a formula, until edited.  After editing they display only as "Object n" (n is the sequential number).  Only the edited OLEs change to "Object", the unedited OLEs display as formulae.
>> at least in 4.1.3 it's still OK.
>>
>> There is the setting "Tools - Options - Writer - View - Graphics and
>> objects" to disable to show the object's content but only the name. This
>> isn't unchecked by accident, right?
>>
>> Sorry for the maybe stupid question - esecially for you as support guru. ;-)
>>
>> Marcus
> No offense taken at the suggestion - we can all do silly things!  I've checked the setting you mention - checked or unchecked it makes no difference to the "Object n" display.
>
> John_Ha brought the problem to my attention - he is using RC2 on Windows 7.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Matthias Seidel
Well, not exactly the same...
If I zoom into the document I can see a little graphic [1]. Looks like
"unplugged" or "disconnected" to me.

[1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/OLE-disconnected.png

> Confirmed on Windows 10 with 4.1.4 RC2.
>
> The behavior now is similar to 4.1.3 with disabled "Tools - Options -
> Writer - View - Graphics and objects"
>
> Matthias
>

> Am 14.08.2017 um 21:22 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:51:58 +0200
>> Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> at least in 4.1.3 it's still OK.
>>>
>>> There is the setting "Tools - Options - Writer - View - Graphics and
>>> objects" to disable to show the object's content but only the name. This
>>> isn't unchecked by accident, right?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the maybe stupid question - esecially for you as support guru. ;-)
>>>
>>> Marcus
>> No offense taken at the suggestion - we can all do silly things!  I've checked the setting you mention - checked or unchecked it makes no difference to the "Object n" display.
>>
>> John_Ha brought the problem to my attention - he is using RC2 on Windows 7.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Patricia Shanahan
I am rebuilding my 4.1.4 debug environment to make sure it is up to
date. I am going to work on this ASAP, but I do have travel planned and
will not be available Thursday through Tuesday.

On 8/14/2017 1:35 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Well, not exactly the same...
> If I zoom into the document I can see a little graphic [1]. Looks like
> "unplugged" or "disconnected" to me.
>
> [1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/OLE-disconnected.png

>> Confirmed on Windows 10 with 4.1.4 RC2.
>>
>> The behavior now is similar to 4.1.3 with disabled "Tools - Options -
>> Writer - View - Graphics and objects"
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>> Am 14.08.2017 um 21:22 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

>>> No offense taken at the suggestion - we can all do silly things!  I've checked the setting you mention - checked or unchecked it makes no difference to the "Object n" display.
>>>
>>> John_Ha brought the problem to my attention - he is using RC2 on Windows 7.

Re: RC2: OLE problem?

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Rory O'Farrell [mailto:[hidden email]]

> Using 4.1.4 RC2 (on Xubuntu 16.04.03 64 bit) and Windows 7
> (in John_Ha's case) there seems to be a problem with OLE.
>
> If in Writer one uses /Insert /OLE Object /
> OpenOffice 4.1.4 Formula with Create New checked, a math
> formula will only display in the Writer document as "Object
> n".  It is always editable, but never displays as the actual formula.
>
> If the formula is saved as a file, it can be inserted into a
> writer document using "Create from file" and will display,
> until edited, when it continues to display as "Object n".
>
> One can insert multiple OLE objects from files and they each
> will display correctly as a formula, until edited.  After
> editing they display only as "Object n" (n is the sequential
> number).  Only the edited OLEs change to "Object", the
> unedited OLEs display as formulae.

Yes, I also get this error.

Windows 7
AOO414m2(Build:9785)  -  Rev. 1804788

The representation of "Object n" does not look as if you only switch off the
display of objects. _I confirm the observation of Mathias._

note:
The same error is definitely not in RC1

greetings,
Jorg