RE: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

RE: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

Dennis E. Hamilton-2
It looks like two mileposts are the same, with August 16 (17 days from now) including "Discuss".

I suggest that the "Discussion ends August 23" be removed.

I suggest that we can then have "Voting ends" backed up to August 28, 12 days from August 16.

This allows some slack time in case there is more to figure out before submitting the resolution to the board by Saturday, September 5.  (Also, please note that this is on a major Holiday weekend in the United States, with Monday September 7 being the US Labor Day celebration.)

 - Dennis

Re: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

jan i
On Thursday, July 30, 2015, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like two mileposts are the same, with August 16 (17 days from
> now) including "Discuss".

they are only partly the same. new candidates ends august 16th, giving the
PMC tine to discuss.

> I suggest that the "Discussion ends August 23" be removed.

If you do that candidates entering the last days have hardly time to be
discussed.

> I suggest that we can then have "Voting ends" backed up to August 28, 12
> days from August 16.
>
> ok with me, if there is PMC consensus.

> This allows some slack time in case there is more to figure out before
> submitting the resolution to the board by Saturday, September 5.  (Also,
> please note that this is on a major Holiday weekend in the United States,
> with Monday September 7 being the US Labor Day celebration.)

board meeting is later, september 5th is my deadline for personal reasons.

Rgds
jan i

>  - Dennis

Good point concerning closing nominations with time remaining for discussion of the candidates prior to any [VOTE].  Perhaps that can just be 7 days from the last accepted-/self-nomination or August 16, whichever is later.

I think it is prudent to find some slack in the process, in case there is anything unexpected.

 - Dennis

On Thursday, July 30, 2015, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like two mileposts are the same, with August 16 (17 days from
> now) including "Discuss".

they are only partly the same. new candidates ends august 16th, giving the
PMC tine to discuss.

> I suggest that the "Discussion ends August 23" be removed.

If you do that candidates entering the last days have hardly time to be
discussed.

> I suggest that we can then have "Voting ends" backed up to August 28, 12
> days from August 16.
>
> ok with me, if there is PMC consensus.

[ ... ]

RE: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

Dennis E. Hamilton-2
Let me correct my clumsy wording.  Here's another try.

   I think a full week of discussion with all known candidates
   can occur by having the discussion end on August 16, when
   nominations close, or 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
   nomination, whichever is later.

Another way to say this is

   Discussion will end 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
   Nomination, and no earlier than August 16.

Since August 16 is already on the books, that would not change, but we might find some slack post-August 16.

 - Dennis

Good point concerning closing nominations with time remaining for discussion of the candidates prior to any [VOTE].  Perhaps that can just be 7 days from the last accepted-/self-nomination or August 16, whichever is later.

I think it is prudent to find some slack in the process, in case there is anything unexpected.

 - Dennis

On Thursday, July 30, 2015, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like two mileposts are the same, with August 16 (17 days from
> now) including "Discuss".

they are only partly the same. new candidates ends august 16th, giving the
PMC tine to discuss.

> I suggest that the "Discussion ends August 23" be removed.

If you do that candidates entering the last days have hardly time to be
discussed.

> I suggest that we can then have "Voting ends" backed up to August 28, 12
> days from August 16.
>
> ok with me, if there is PMC consensus.

[ ... ]

Re: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

Roberto Galoppini-2
It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
this up.

We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
matters only.

Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?

Roberto

> Let me correct my clumsy wording.  Here's another try.
>
>    I think a full week of discussion with all known candidates
>    can occur by having the discussion end on August 16, when
>    nominations close, or 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>    nomination, whichever is later.
>
> Another way to say this is
>
>    Discussion will end 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>    Nomination, and no earlier than August 16.
>
> Since August 16 is already on the books, that would not change, but we
> might find some slack post-August 16.
>

>  - Dennis

Rich Bowen

On 08/03/2015 12:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
> Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
> this up.
>
> We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
> a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
> matters only.
>
> Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?

A big +1 from me, although I'm neither a committer nor a PMC member, I
am a director, and would love to see AOO move past this road block, and
potential source of controversy, and on to doing what the project was
chartered to do.

--Rich

Rich Bowen - [hidden email] - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

On 3 August 2015 at 19:59, Rich Bowen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/03/2015 12:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
>> Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
>> this up.
>>
>> We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
>> a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
>> matters only.
>>
>> Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?
>>

> A big +1 from me, although I'm neither a committer nor a PMC member, I am
> a director, and would love to see AOO move past this road block, and
> potential source of controversy, and on to doing what the project was
> chartered to do.

+1 from me, provided the PMC is in agreement on it.

Please remember the original date was 16 August, so there might be
candidates out there waiting (just like Dennis was not nominated the first
day).

In case the PMC decides to close for more candidates, I suggest a 72 hour
(+weekend if needed) lazy consensus, and then I can make the needed
resolution to board,
we might even make it to the August board meeting.

rgds
jan i.

> --Rich
>

>> Roberto

>> Let me correct my clumsy wording.  Here's another try.
>>>
>>>     I think a full week of discussion with all known candidates
>>>     can occur by having the discussion end on August 16, when
>>>     nominations close, or 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>>>     nomination, whichever is later.
>>>
>>> Another way to say this is
>>>
>>>     Discussion will end 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>>>     Nomination, and no earlier than August 16.
>>>
>>> Since August 16 is already on the books, that would not change, but we
>>> might find some slack post-August 16.
>>>

>>>   - Dennis

Louis Suárez-Potts-3

> On 03 Aug 15, at 14:25, jan i <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 3 August 2015 at 19:59, Rich Bowen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 08/03/2015 12:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
>>> Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
>>> this up.
>>>
>>> We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
>>> a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
>>> matters only.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?
>>>

>> A big +1 from me, although I'm neither a committer nor a PMC member, I am
>> a director, and would love to see AOO move past this road block, and
>> potential source of controversy, and on to doing what the project was
>> chartered to do.
>>
> +1 from me, provided the PMC is in agreement on it.
>
> Please remember the original date was 16 August, so there might be
> candidates out there waiting (just like Dennis was not nominated the first
> day).
>
> In case the PMC decides to close for more candidates, I suggest a 72 hour
> (+weekend if needed) lazy consensus, and then I can make the needed
> resolution to board,
> we might even make it to the August board meeting.
>
> rgds
> jan i.

+1 to sooner over later.

>> --Rich
>>

>>> Roberto

>>> Let me correct my clumsy wording.  Here's another try.

Marcus (OOo)
For me it would be OK.

Marcus

Am 08/03/2015 06:48 PM, schrieb Roberto Galoppini:

> It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
> Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
> this up.
>
> We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
> a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
> matters only.
>
> Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?
>
> Roberto

>> Let me correct my clumsy wording.  Here's another try.
>>
>>     I think a full week of discussion with all known candidates
>>     can occur by having the discussion end on August 16, when
>>     nominations close, or 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>>     nomination, whichever is later.
>>
>> Another way to say this is
>>
>>     Discussion will end 7 days after the last accepted-/self-
>>     Nomination, and no earlier than August 16.
>>
>> Since August 16 is already on the books, that would not change, but we
>> might find some slack post-August 16.
>>

>>   - Dennis

The August Board meeting is on August 19 and I suspect that a resolution to the Board must be provided on or before August 17.  (I couldn't find a different deadline other than 2 days before.)

My sense is that it is very important to be consistent and deliberate.  For me, August 16 closing of nominations is an established, public date.  There might be some generous lazy consensus period for reaching a different nomination-closing date so long as there are no further nominations or any request for the full time to accept nominations.

Apart from concern that we demonstrate care in making any alterations, I am neutral with regard to the change of the closing date.  As the only current nominee, it is awkward for me to say any more than that.

 - Dennis

On 3 August 2015 at 19:59, Rich Bowen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/03/2015 12:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that so far we have only one candidate.
>> Given the actual situation I'd prefer us to consider the option to speed
>> this up.
>>
>> We have many things to do, ranging from the Digital signing to go out with
>> a new release, if we can close this we could probably focus on technical
>> matters only.
>>
>> Does anyone have a problem to speed up this process?
>
> A big +1 from me, although I'm neither a committer nor a PMC member, I am
> a director, and would love to see AOO move past this road block, and
> potential source of controversy, and on to doing what the project was
> chartered to do.

+1 from me, provided the PMC is in agreement on it.

Please remember the original date was 16 August, so there might be
candidates out there waiting (just like Dennis was not nominated the first
day).

In case the PMC decides to close for more candidates, I suggest a 72 hour
(+weekend if needed) lazy consensus, and then I can make the needed
resolution to board,
we might even make it to the August board meeting.

rgds
jan i.

Re: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

Kay Schenk-2
[top posting]

Despite the apparent lack of nominees, I would urge us to continue with the
originally announced date of Aug. 16 as the closing.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The August Board meeting is on August 19 and I suspect that a resolution
> to the Board must be provided on or before August 17.  (I couldn't find a
> different deadline other than 2 days before.)
>
> My sense is that it is very important to be consistent and deliberate.
> For me, August 16 closing of nominations is an established, public date.
> There might be some generous lazy consensus period for reaching a different
> nomination-closing date so long as there are no further nominations or any
> request for the full time to accept nominations.
>
> Apart from concern that we demonstrate care in making any alterations, I
> am neutral with regard to the change of the closing date.  As the only
> current nominee, it is awkward for me to say any more than that.
>
>  - Dennis

MzK

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
                                                          --Lao Tzu

Re: [DISCUSS] RE: [DISCUSS] Calendar for New chair of AOO

jan i
Hi

it seems there are different opinions on how to handle the rest of the
chair election process.

I suggested a timeline, in the beginning, but I cannot see consensus, so I
will not change the timeline,
however if any other PMC member wants to do it, then I am positive as long
as we have a solution no
later than the september board meeting.

An alternative (not my preference) could be to start the vote now until
e.g. september 15th, in the understanding that if a second (or more)
candidate turns up, the vote is restarted.

rgds
jan i.

On 4 August 2015 at 01:36, Kay Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [top posting]
>
> Despite the apparent lack of nominees, I would urge us to continue with the
> originally announced date of Aug. 16 as the closing.
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The August Board meeting is on August 19 and I suspect that a resolution
> > to the Board must be provided on or before August 17.  (I couldn't find a
> > different deadline other than 2 days before.)
> >
> > My sense is that it is very important to be consistent and deliberate.
> > For me, August 16 closing of nominations is an established, public date.
> > There might be some generous lazy consensus period for reaching a
> different
> > nomination-closing date so long as there are no further nominations or
> any
> > request for the full time to accept nominations.
> >
> > Apart from concern that we demonstrate care in making any alterations, I
> > am neutral with regard to the change of the closing date.  As the only
> > current nominee, it is awkward for me to say any more than that.
> >
> >  - Dennis

A member of the PMC has objected to changing the date for closing nominations, leaving it at August 16.

I think that is a sufficient basis for leaving things as they are.  I am aligned with that too.

 - Dennis