[RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
Hi,

to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for

Polish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
Swedish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
Norwegian Bokmal ->
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
Korean -> NOT FOUND

Is it possible that people review this and provide feedback or alternatives.

I wasn't able to find one for Korean! Which one do people use here?

Juergen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jeongkyu Kim
2013년 1월 15일 화요일에 Jürgen Schmidt님이 작성:

> Hi,
>
> to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
> dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for
>
> Polish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
> Swedish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
> Norwegian Bokmal ->
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
> Korean -> NOT FOUND
>
> Is it possible that people review this and provide feedback or
> alternatives.
>
> I wasn't able to find one for Korean! Which one do people use here?
>
>
It is because spellchecker & dictionary are not supported for Korean.
Thanks for your concern

Jeongkyu


--
Jeongkyu Kim
OpenOffice.org Korean community lead

Community website http://openoffice.or.kr
Personal blog     http://openoffice.or.kr/gomme
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 09:49:43PM +0900, Jeongkyu Kim wrote:

> 2013년 1월 15일 화요일에 Jürgen Schmidt님이 작성:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
> > dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for
> >
> > Polish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
> > Swedish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
> > Norwegian Bokmal ->
> > http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
> > Korean -> NOT FOUND
> >
> > Is it possible that people review this and provide feedback or
> > alternatives.
> >
> > I wasn't able to find one for Korean! Which one do people use here?
> >
> >
> It is because spellchecker & dictionary are not supported for Korean.
What about http://code.google.com/p/spellcheck-ko/ ?


Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

attachment0 (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
In reply to this post by Jeongkyu Kim
On 1/15/13 1:49 PM, Jeongkyu Kim wrote:

> 2013년 1월 15일 화요일에 Jürgen Schmidt님이 작성:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
>> dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for
>>
>> Polish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
>> Swedish -> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
>> Norwegian Bokmal ->
>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
>> Korean -> NOT FOUND
>>
>> Is it possible that people review this and provide feedback or
>> alternatives.
>>
>> I wasn't able to find one for Korean! Which one do people use here?
>>
>>
> It is because spellchecker & dictionary are not supported for Korean.
> Thanks for your concern

but I think there was one in the past correct? Today the page in the
extension repo is not found...

But in the wiki I found a reference to
http://code.google.com/p/spellcheck-ko/

Do you think it can make sense to package a new oxt based on this?

Do you know details why it is not supported anymore?

Juergen


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Andrea Pescetti-2
In reply to this post by Jürgen Schmidt-3
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
> dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for
> Polish ->  http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
> Swedish ->  http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
> Norwegian Bokmal ->
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
> Korean ->  NOT FOUND

I haven't compared to the ones you listed (and it seems for example that
Swedish is only a thesaurus here), but I extracted from the 3.3.0
packages the dictionaries (already packaged as OXT) that we used in
3.3.0. You can find them at
http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/ooo-330-dictionaries/

They all passed the basic test of clean installation in OpenOffice 3.4.1
and spellcheck of a machine-translated sentence.

Indeed Korean shipped with no dictionary in 3.3.0 (no language pack
either, but I checked the full build too); and indeed the extension it
is linked to is no longer online, but search engines reveal that there
is still a version at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/4237
which installs cleanly.

Below you find a script to do the same for other languages if you need,
and if you prefer to take dictionaries from the shipped binaries rather
than going back to the HG repository and digging. But it won't always
work, since for example the "nb" version contains a dictionary for "no"
(which means "nb"+"nn") and this breaks some assumptions, so you may
need to do some steps manually at times.

Regards,
   Andrea.

for LG in pl sv nb ko ; do \
   wget
http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/localized/$LG/3.3.0/OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86_langpack-rpm_$LG.tar.gz 
&& \
   tar zxvf OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86_langpack-rpm_$LG.tar.gz && \
   rpm2cpio
OOO330_m20_native_packed-1_$LG.9567/RPMS/openoffice.org3-dict-$LG-3.3.0-9567.i586.rpm
| cpio -ivd && \
   cd opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-$LG && \
   zip -r ../../../../../dict-$LG-ooo330.oxt * && \
   cd ../../../../../ ;
done
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 1/15/13 11:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> to push this forward I plan to bundle the following
>> dictionaries/spellchecker/thesaurus for
>> Polish ->  http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
>> Swedish ->  http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
>> Norwegian Bokmal ->
>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries
>> Korean ->  NOT FOUND
>
> I haven't compared to the ones you listed (and it seems for example that
> Swedish is only a thesaurus here), but I extracted from the 3.3.0
> packages the dictionaries (already packaged as OXT) that we used in
> 3.3.0. You can find them at
> http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/ooo-330-dictionaries/
>
> They all passed the basic test of clean installation in OpenOffice 3.4.1
> and spellcheck of a machine-translated sentence.

I think the place is not appropriate and I would prefer to bundle
dictionaries from the extension repo

Maybe it's possible for our native speakers to review the dictionaries
that are available in the repo. And maybe it somebody is interested to
maintain the Swedish one and upload it in the repo.

>
> Indeed Korean shipped with no dictionary in 3.3.0 (no language pack
> either, but I checked the full build too); and indeed the extension it
> is linked to is no longer online, but search engines reveal that there
> is still a version at
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/4237
> which installs cleanly.

interesting, it is not listed via dictionaries.

>
> Below you find a script to do the same for other languages if you need,
> and if you prefer to take dictionaries from the shipped binaries rather
> than going back to the HG repository and digging. But it won't always
> work, since for example the "nb" version contains a dictionary for "no"
> (which means "nb"+"nn") and this breaks some assumptions, so you may
> need to do some steps manually at times.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.
>
> for LG in pl sv nb ko ; do \
>   wget
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/localized/$LG/3.3.0/OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86_langpack-rpm_$LG.tar.gz
> && \
>   tar zxvf OOo_3.3.0_Linux_x86_langpack-rpm_$LG.tar.gz && \
>   rpm2cpio
> OOO330_m20_native_packed-1_$LG.9567/RPMS/openoffice.org3-dict-$LG-3.3.0-9567.i586.rpm
> | cpio -ivd && \
>   cd opt/openoffice.org3/share/extensions/dict-$LG && \
>   zip -r ../../../../../dict-$LG-ooo330.oxt * && \
>   cd ../../../../../ ;
> done

I don't want touch to much any language tools and let it up other who
know more about it. I have enough to do with other things. These are
things that can be done easily by volunteers.

Juergen







Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Andrea Pescetti-2
Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/15/13 11:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> I extracted from the 3.3.0
>> packages the dictionaries (already packaged as OXT) that we used in
>> 3.3.0. You can find them at
>> http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/ooo-330-dictionaries/
> I think the place is not appropriate and I would prefer to bundle
> dictionaries from the extension repo

Yes, obviously. Actually, if you see the URL where we download the
English dictionary from, it's clear we are not enforcing this rule...

But we should also keep in mind that most users of these versions will
be upgrading from 3.3.0, so bundling different extensions than 3.3.0
could (and I totally don't know if it does or not!) expose to higher
risk of corrupted spellchecker due to conflicting extensions.

> Maybe it's possible for our native speakers to review the dictionaries
> that are available in the repo. And maybe it somebody is interested to
> maintain the Swedish one and upload it in the repo.

So Swedish would be a combination of:
1) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/5732
2) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
3) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Swedish_hyph_patterns

(I found the first one with search engines since apparently this
extension, but not its releases, has been retired from the Extensions
site too; the last one was updated yesterday, good sign)

Regards,
   Andrea.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 1/16/13 10:30 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 1/15/13 11:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> I extracted from the 3.3.0
>>> packages the dictionaries (already packaged as OXT) that we used in
>>> 3.3.0. You can find them at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/ooo-330-dictionaries/
>> I think the place is not appropriate and I would prefer to bundle
>> dictionaries from the extension repo
>
> Yes, obviously. Actually, if you see the URL where we download the
> English dictionary from, it's clear we are not enforcing this rule...

external servers are ok, I meant I don't want to download it from the
people server. If we can make it available on extras it is different.

>
> But we should also keep in mind that most users of these versions will
> be upgrading from 3.3.0, so bundling different extensions than 3.3.0
> could (and I totally don't know if it does or not!) expose to higher
> risk of corrupted spellchecker due to conflicting extensions.

I agree and I am not happy with the current situation. QA is necessary
or at least feedback from native speakers who have tried the dictionaries.

>
>> Maybe it's possible for our native speakers to review the dictionaries
>> that are available in the repo. And maybe it somebody is interested to
>> maintain the Swedish one and upload it in the repo.
>
> So Swedish would be a combination of:
> 1) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/5732
> 2) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/SweThes
> 3) http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Swedish_hyph_patterns
>
> (I found the first one with search engines since apparently this
> extension, but not its releases, has been retired from the Extensions
> site too; the last one was updated yesterday, good sign)

yes it is a good signal but doesn't really solve our current problem.

I hope we will see ones soon that can be included as supported, bundled
in the future versions

I am at the moment not sure how to proceed best.

Juergen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jeongkyu Kim
In reply to this post by Jürgen Schmidt-3
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/15/13 1:49 PM, Jeongkyu Kim wrote:
>> 2013년 1월 15일 화요일에 Jürgen Schmidt님이 작성:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>
> But in the wiki I found a reference to
> http://code.google.com/p/spellcheck-ko/
> Do you think it can make sense to package a new oxt based on this?
> Do you know details why it is not supported anymore?
>

Hi,

I had a chance to talk to Korean community member who packaged the
extension. I was told that the dictionary was developed by a Korean
open source developer and its OO extension had been maintained by our
member as his personal project. He mentioned that quality of the
dictionary is good enough for AOO now so I asked him to package a new
OXT with the latest version and to file a issue.

Thanks,
Jeongkyu
--
Jeongkyu Kim
OpenOffice.org Korean community lead

Community website http://openoffice.or.kr
Personal blog     http://openoffice.or.kr/gomme
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 1/16/13 1:35 PM, Jeongkyu Kim wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/15/13 1:49 PM, Jeongkyu Kim wrote:
>>> 2013년 1월 15일 화요일에 Jürgen Schmidt님이 작성:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>
>> But in the wiki I found a reference to
>> http://code.google.com/p/spellcheck-ko/
>> Do you think it can make sense to package a new oxt based on this?
>> Do you know details why it is not supported anymore?
>>
>
> Hi,
>
> I had a chance to talk to Korean community member who packaged the
> extension. I was told that the dictionary was developed by a Korean
> open source developer and its OO extension had been maintained by our
> member as his personal project. He mentioned that quality of the
> dictionary is good enough for AOO now so I asked him to package a new
> OXT with the latest version and to file a issue.

perfect, sounds good. I hope he is able to package it soon (this week)


Thanks for driving this forward

Juergen

>
> Thanks,
> Jeongkyu
> --
> Jeongkyu Kim
> OpenOffice.org Korean community lead
>
> Community website http://openoffice.or.kr
> Personal blog     http://openoffice.or.kr/gomme
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Ariel Constenla-Haile-2
Hi Jeongkyu Kim,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 02:13:02PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> >> But in the wiki I found a reference to
> >> http://code.google.com/p/spellcheck-ko/
> >> Do you think it can make sense to package a new oxt based on this?
> >> Do you know details why it is not supported anymore?
> >>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a chance to talk to Korean community member who packaged the
> > extension. I was told that the dictionary was developed by a Korean
> > open source developer and its OO extension had been maintained by our
> > member as his personal project. He mentioned that quality of the
> > dictionary is good enough for AOO now so I asked him to package a new
> > OXT with the latest version and to file a issue.
>
> perfect, sounds good. I hope he is able to package it soon (this week)
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=121632
The OXT was uploaded to a cloud storage, it should be uploaded to the
extension repository, or in the google code page; that is, a stabler
place so that it can be downloaded at build time (the extensions are not
stored in the source tree anymore, they are downloaded on demand before
building).


Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

attachment0 (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Andrea Pescetti-2
In reply to this post by Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 16/01/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> external servers are ok, I meant I don't want to download it from the
> people server. If we can make it available on extras it is different.

I can upload those three extensions plus the Korean OXT to
extensions.openoffice.org under my name, with a minimal description in
English. This is quick to do and will solve it for 3.4.1. In case, just
ask and I'll proceed.

Then we will try to find real maintainers for those packages and have
the extension reassigned to them eventually, since obviously I won't
maintain a dictionary for a language I don't know!

Regards,
   Andrea.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 1/17/13 1:28 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 16/01/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> external servers are ok, I meant I don't want to download it from the
>> people server. If we can make it available on extras it is different.
>
> I can upload those three extensions plus the Korean OXT to
> extensions.openoffice.org under my name, with a minimal description in
> English. This is quick to do and will solve it for 3.4.1. In case, just
> ask and I'll proceed.

yes please do that and let me know the Urls as soon as possible. I would
like to start the next build tomorrow if possible.

>
> Then we will try to find real maintainers for those packages and have
> the extension reassigned to them eventually, since obviously I won't
> maintain a dictionary for a language I don't know!
>

that sound like a good idea and plan

Juergen



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jeongkyu Kim
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/17/13 1:28 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 16/01/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>> external servers are ok, I meant I don't want to download it from the
>>> people server. If we can make it available on extras it is different.
>>
>> I can upload those three extensions plus the Korean OXT to
>> extensions.openoffice.org under my name, with a minimal description in
>> English. This is quick to do and will solve it for 3.4.1. In case, just
>> ask and I'll proceed.
>
> yes please do that and let me know the Urls as soon as possible. I would
> like to start the next build tomorrow if possible.
>

One more 'yes please do' from Korean community :-)

>>
>> Then we will try to find real maintainers for those packages and have
>> the extension reassigned to them eventually, since obviously I won't
>> maintain a dictionary for a language I don't know!
>>
>
> that sound like a good idea and plan
>

Sure. As it is going to be shipped in AOO, Korean community will maintain it.

Jeongkyu
--
Jeongkyu Kim
OpenOffice.org Korean community lead

Community website http://openoffice.or.kr
Personal blog     http://openoffice.or.kr/gomme
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Andrea Pescetti-2
In reply to this post by Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 17/01/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 1/17/13 1:28 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> I can upload those three extensions plus the Korean OXT to
>> extensions.openoffice.org under my name, with a minimal description in
>> English. This is quick to do and will solve it for 3.4.1. In case, just
>> ask and I'll proceed.
> yes please do that and let me know the Urls as soon as possible. I would
> like to start the next build tomorrow if possible.

Done. It took longer than expected because the Extensions site is smart
enough to detect, upon upload, if another extension with the same ID is
available and this allowed some nice findings.

I created:
Norwegian: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-no
Swedish: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-sv
Korean: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-ko
(we had a version of both Swedish and Korean, but it was older, so I
changed the ID and re-uploaded).

Polish: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
was already there and provides the same dictionaries, so we'll just use it.

Everything is already configured in trunk:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/extensions.lst

It must just be ported to AOO340. You may want to port both 1434968 and
1434960, since we were incorrectly using "no" to identify Norwegian
builds (we build either nb or nn, and for 3.4.1 we will build only nb;
but the dictionary is called "no" to mean that it contains both nb and nn).

Regards,
   Andrea.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [RELEASE]: bundled dictionaries for AOO 3.4.1 respin

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 1/18/13 12:42 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 17/01/2013 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 1/17/13 1:28 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> I can upload those three extensions plus the Korean OXT to
>>> extensions.openoffice.org under my name, with a minimal description in
>>> English. This is quick to do and will solve it for 3.4.1. In case, just
>>> ask and I'll proceed.
>> yes please do that and let me know the Urls as soon as possible. I would
>> like to start the next build tomorrow if possible.
>
> Done. It took longer than expected because the Extensions site is smart
> enough to detect, upon upload, if another extension with the same ID is
> available and this allowed some nice findings.
>
> I created:
> Norwegian: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-no
> Swedish: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-sv
> Korean: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-dict-ko
> (we had a version of both Swedish and Korean, but it was older, so I
> changed the ID and re-uploaded).
>
> Polish: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
> was already there and provides the same dictionaries, so we'll just use it.
>
> Everything is already configured in trunk:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/extensions.lst
>
> It must just be ported to AOO340. You may want to port both 1434968 and
> 1434960, since we were incorrectly using "no" to identify Norwegian
> builds (we build either nb or nn, and for 3.4.1 we will build only nb;
> but the dictionary is called "no" to mean that it contains both nb and nn).

ok thanks, merged and preparation for next build is ongoing

Juergen