Re: AutoCAD compatible open source

spencer-33
On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 18:28 -0500, Jack Carroll wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:23:09PM -0500, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 11:27 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Hi I am looking for an AutoCAD compatible open source, does this exist?
> > >

> Not exactly.  QCAD uses DXF as its native format, but AFAIK it
> doesn't read DWG format.  It also doesn't have all the functionality of
> Autocad.  But it does seem to be adequate for basic 2D drafting, and has the
> same command line interface as earlier versions of Autocad.  So you could
> use it as a training device to learn Autocad commands.  You might want to
> evaluate it, and see if it meets your needs.  It should be available for
> most RPM and Debian platforms.

I think there is one called Ptyhoncad you might like to try.

Re: AutoCAD compatible open source

Robin Laing
[hidden email] wrote:
> Hi I am looking for an AutoCAD compatible open source, does this exist?
>
> THANKS!
>
> Robert R. Korolik
> Quebec QC
> Canada
> [hidden email]

I did a search some time ago and there are some low costs CAD packages
that are supposed to work with AutoCAD files.  How well they work is
another story.

Robin

Re: AutoCAD compatible open source

John Thompson

>> Not exactly.  QCAD uses DXF as its native format, but AFAIK it
>> doesn't read DWG format.

No, But RibbnSoft does note that lx-viewer
(http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/index.php) can convert between dxf and
dwg.

>> It also doesn't have all the functionality of Autocad.

It doesn't have all the price, either. :-)

--

John ([hidden email])