Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

1234

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Matthias Seidel

Hi Dave,

Sorry, but update feeds for OOo are still located at openoffice.org (see the link). That's why I wrote "specific".

They MUST be kept until we find a better place and can redirect there.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 18.08.20 um 23:20 schrieb Dave Fisher (Confluence):
Message Title
There's 1 new edit on this page

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-3
Do those ancient versions of OpenOffice handle redirection?

Sent from my iPhone

Am 19.08.20 um 01:18 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Do those ancient versions of OpenOffice handle redirection?
Redirection will be done on the (web) server side.

Until then we need to preserve the existing pages where OOo expects them.

> [...]
>>> in addition, there must be new local pages for marketing, e.g. for downloading German-language marketing material (press kit, flyers, ...) and for announcing local dates (fairs and other events)
>>> Copied from the html.
>>> Copied from the MediaWiki as mdtext.
>>> Go to page history
>>>
>>> View page
>>>
>>> Stop watching space •
>>> Manage notifications
>>> <footer-desktop-logo.png>

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-3

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 8:37 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 19.08.20 um 01:18 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Do those ancient versions of OpenOffice handle redirection?
> Redirection will be done on the (web) server side.

Then we can do redirection within the httpd.conf for OpenOffice.org.

Infra holds that in puppet. I’ll look for it and link it.

> Until then we need to preserve the existing pages where OOo expects them.

Let’s change that before migration.

Regards,
Dave

Am 19.08.20 um 18:10 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 19, 2020, at 8:37 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 19.08.20 um 01:18 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Do those ancient versions of OpenOffice handle redirection?
>> Redirection will be done on the (web) server side.
> Then we can do redirection within the httpd.conf for OpenOffice.org.
>
> Infra holds that in puppet. I’ll look for it and link it.
>
>> Until then we need to preserve the existing pages where OOo expects them.
> Let’s change that before migration.
Where do you want to put these pages?

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Dave
>>> Sent from my iPhone

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:14 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 19.08.20 um 18:10 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Redirection will be done on the (web) server side.
>> Then we can do redirection within the httpd.conf for OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> Infra holds that in puppet. I’ll look for it and link it.
>>
>>> Until then we need to preserve the existing pages where OOo expects them.
>> Let’s change that before migration.
>
> Where do you want to put these pages?

I would want to put them on ooo-updates if that would work.

Regards,
Dave

Am 19.08.20 um 18:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>> On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:14 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 19.08.20 um 18:10 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Then we can do redirection within the httpd.conf for OpenOffice.org.
>>>
>>> Infra holds that in puppet. I’ll look for it and link it.

>>> Let’s change that before migration.
>> Where do you want to put these pages?
> I would want to put them on ooo-updates if that would work.
The update feed is broken for longer now...
We still need to find a working solution.

But no objections to put everything in a single place.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 11:45 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 19.08.20 um 18:55 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> Where do you want to put these pages?
>> I would want to put them on ooo-updates if that would work.
> The update feed is broken for longer now...
> We still need to find a working solution.

Do we have a bug that describes how the update feed is broken?

Regards,
Dave

Am 19.08.20 um 20:50 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> I would want to put them on ooo-updates if that would work.
>> The update feed is broken for longer now...
>> We still need to find a working solution.
> Do we have a bug that describes how the update feed is broken?
One bug? ;-) This has been discussed so often and for so long I don't
even know where to start...

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789

Most of the comments are pure speculation but:

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789#c39

is interesting. Although Pedro is wrong about the regression in code it
shows that the update feeds located on openoffice.org can be reached.
This might be due to the old web server we are using.
The update feeds hosted in Apache SVN are not working for most of our users.

Andrea knows more about it but basically AOO (4.1.x) is not able to
connect to the update feed via https due to outdated SSL components.
(Changing the update URL to http works but is a dirty hack and has no
effect on released versions)

Regards,

   Matthias

P.S.: Update feeds for extensions (hosted on SourceForge) are a separate
problem.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> But no objections to put everything in a single place.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 19.08.20 um 20:50 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> The update feed is broken for longer now...
>>> We still need to find a working solution.
>> Do we have a bug that describes how the update feed is broken?
>
> One bug? ;-) This has been discussed so often and for so long I don't
> even know where to start...
>
> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789
>
> Most of the comments are pure speculation but:
>
> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789#c39
>
> is interesting. Although Pedro is wrong about the regression in code it
> shows that the update feeds located on openoffice.org can be reached.
> This might be due to the old web server we are using.
> The update feeds hosted in Apache SVN are not working for most of our users.
>
> Andrea knows more about it but basically AOO (4.1.x) is not able to
> connect to the update feed via https due to outdated SSL components.
> (Changing the update URL to http works but is a dirty hack and has no
> effect on released versions)

I made some comments. Like Pedro I suspect a regression in the code.

Do you know where the update code is?

Am 19.08.20 um 22:11 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> Do we have a bug that describes how the update feed is broken?
>> One bug? ;-) This has been discussed so often and for so long I don't
>> even know where to start...
>>
>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789
>>
>> Most of the comments are pure speculation but:
>>
>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789#c39
>>
>> is interesting. Although Pedro is wrong about the regression in code it
>> shows that the update feeds located on openoffice.org can be reached.
>> This might be due to the old web server we are using.
>> The update feeds hosted in Apache SVN are not working for most of our users.
>>
>> Andrea knows more about it but basically AOO (4.1.x) is not able to
>> connect to the update feed via https due to outdated SSL components.
>> (Changing the update URL to http works but is a dirty hack and has no
>> effect on released versions)
> I made some comments. Like Pedro I suspect a regression in the code.
It stopped working about two years ago (for 4.x.x)
And it is working for 4.2.x and trunk with the same update feeds.

I am still not convinced... ;-)

> Do you know where the update code is?

Sorry, maybe some developer knows?

>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>> P.S.: Update feeds for extensions (hosted on SourceForge) are a separate
>> problem.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Dave Fisher-2

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 1:24 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Am 19.08.20 um 22:11 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> One bug? ;-) This has been discussed so often and for so long I don't
>>> even know where to start...
>>>
>>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789
>>>
>>> Most of the comments are pure speculation but:
>>>
>>> https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789#c39
>>>
>>> is interesting. Although Pedro is wrong about the regression in code it
>>> shows that the update feeds located on openoffice.org can be reached.
>>> This might be due to the old web server we are using.
>>> The update feeds hosted in Apache SVN are not working for most of our users.
>>>
>>> Andrea knows more about it but basically AOO (4.1.x) is not able to
>>> connect to the update feed via https due to outdated SSL components.
>>> (Changing the update URL to http works but is a dirty hack and has no
>>> effect on released versions)
>> I made some comments. Like Pedro I suspect a regression in the code.
>
> It stopped working about two years ago (for 4.x.x)
> And it is working for 4.2.x and trunk with the same update feeds.
>
> I am still not convinced... ;-)

The other thought is the version of openssl and/or curl used and which versions got which upgrades.

>> Do you know where the update code is?
>
> Sorry, maybe some developer knows?

Need to look at the history of

(1) openssl
(2) curl
(3) and the code that uses those.

Regards,
Dave

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>   Matthias
>>>
>>> P.S.: Update feeds for extensions (hosted on SourceForge) are a separate
>>> problem.

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Don Lewis-2
On 19 Aug, Dave Fisher wrote:

>> On Aug 19, 2020, at 1:24 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,

>>> I made some comments. Like Pedro I suspect a regression in the code.
>>
>> It stopped working about two years ago (for 4.x.x)
>> And it is working for 4.2.x and trunk with the same update feeds.
>>
>> I am still not convinced... ;-)
>
> The other thought is the version of openssl and/or curl used and which versions got which upgrades.
>

>>> Do you know where the update code is?
>>
>> Sorry, maybe some developer knows?
>
> Need to look at the history of
>
> (1) openssl
> (2) curl
> (3) and the code that uses those.

The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
doesn't support recent versions of TLS.

Re: [CONF] Apache OpenOffice Community > Website Migrations

Matthias Seidel
Hi Don,

Am 20.08.20 um 18:35 schrieb Don Lewis:

>> Need to look at the history of
>>
>> (1) openssl
>> (2) curl
>> (3) and the code that uses those.
> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.

Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
trunk/AOO42X?

That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: OpenSSL versions

Dave Fisher-2

> On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Don,
>
> Am 20.08.20 um 18:35 schrieb Don Lewis:
>>
>>> Need to look at the history of
>>>
>>> (1) openssl
>>> (2) curl
>>> (3) and the code that uses those.
>> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
>> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.
>
> Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> trunk/AOO42X?

Yes, please.

> That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.

Here is the version history:

3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh

42X: openssl-1.0.2t

A general question as we triage the update services bug,

Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?

Regards,
Dave

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

Re: OpenSSL versions

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 10:38:23 -0700
Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Don,

> >> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
> >> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.
> >
> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> > trunk/AOO42X?
>
> Yes, please.
>

> > That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.
>
> Here is the version history:
>
> 3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
> 4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh
>
> 42X: openssl-1.0.2t
>
> A general question as we triage the update services bug,
>
> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

For information: I am using Xubuntu (64 bit) 20.04.1 updated to today; openssl is shown as 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2

Rory

> > Regards,
> >
> >    Matthias

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: OpenSSL versions

Don Lewis-2
On 20 Aug, Dave Fisher wrote:

>> On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Don,

>>> The version of openssl used by 4.1.7 is seriously out of date and
>>> doesn't support recent versions of TLS.
>>
>> Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
>> trunk/AOO42X?
>
> Yes, please.
>

>> That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.
>
> Here is the version history:
>
> 3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
> 4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
> 4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh
>
> 42X: openssl-1.0.2t
>
> A general question as we triage the update services bug,
>
> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?

Not that I'm aware of.

The FreeBSD port uses system OpenSSL, but the port is compiled and
packaged for each OS release.

Re: OpenSSL versions

Matthias Seidel
Hi,

Am 20.08.20 um 21:08 schrieb Don Lewis:

> On 20 Aug, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Don,

>>> Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
>>> trunk/AOO42X?
>> Yes, please.
>>
>>> That version is "new" enough and has proven to be stable.
>> Here is the version history:
>>
>> 3.4: openssl-0.9.8o
>> 4.0: openssl-0.9.8o
>> 4.1.0: openssl-0.9.8zg
>> 4.1.6: openssl-0.9.8zh
>>
>> 42X: openssl-1.0.2t
>>
>> A general question as we triage the update services bug,
>>
>> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
> The FreeBSD port uses system OpenSSL, but the port is compiled and
> packaged for each OS release.
The version for OS/2 uses system OpenSSL (currently 1.0.2t)

But they don't use AOO online update...

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: OpenSSL versions

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Dave

> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
> > trunk/AOO42X?
>
> Yes, please.

Thank you!

> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?

Does Windows have a system openssl? :)

Looking forward to a new Linux x64 4.1.8 build (I can't build it with Ubuntu 18.04 :( )

Regards,
Pedro

Re: OpenSSL versions

Don Lewis-2
On 20 Aug, Pedro Lino wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
>> > Can we update openssl in 4.1.8 at least to the version we use in
>> > trunk/AOO42X?
>>
>> Yes, please.
>
> Thank you!
>
>> Have we ever used the system openssl in any of our released builds?
>
> Does Windows have a system openssl? :)

Nope.

> Looking forward to a new Linux x64 4.1.8 build (I can't build it with Ubuntu 18.04 :( )

Try patching solenv/inc/unxlng.mk and solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk to
add "-std=gnu++98" to CFLAGSCXX.  I recommend doing this for 4.2.0 and
trunk as well.  Newer versions of gcc default to compiling with more
modern C++ standards and spew lots of warnings about old C++ stuff in
our code.  Telling the compiler to use an older C++ standard that is
more compatible with our code base will greatly reduce the
warnings/errors.

1234