Re: Feature Idea - Timed Email Merge

Randomthots
This off the discuss list this morning illustrates vividly one of the
biggest problems with the issue of spam and current techniques for
dealing with it. Namely, defining exactly what is and isn't spam *and*,
more importantly, doing this in a way that can be translated into a
machine algorithm.

I doubt that Michael's a spammer. He could be inviting people to a
wedding or sending out a newsletter that other folks have signed up for.
Maybe he's a church secretary sending out a church bulletin. Lots and
lots of possible reasons for sending out a mass e-mail that isn't spam.

 From the discuss list:

Michael Lissner to me, SOUNDS like a spammer of sorts, a man with a
mission, whether a preacher or (based on his e-adr: aids hike . org) a
promoter of some aids mission. To fool his ISPs, he should hire a
software man to bypass his problem.
Wish I had "125 of my ??? friends" deserving something personal! :-)
Tork

Michael Lissner wrote:

> OO has a great feature with being able to send the email merge, but
> it's got a problem - It doesn't have a built in timer. I just tried to
> send emails to 125 of my friends, but after 25, my ISP killed it
> because it looked like I was spamming. If we had something built into
> the email merge tool that allowed it to run overnight, one-offing an
> email every five minutes or so, this problem would probably be
> alleviated.
>
> Just an idea for improvement in later versions.
>
> -mike

Re: Re: Feature Idea - Timed Email Merge

Thomas G Land
On 07 February 2006 08:48, Randomthots wrote:

> I doubt that Michael's a spammer. He could be inviting people to a
> wedding or sending out a newsletter that other folks have signed up for.
> Maybe he's a church secretary sending out a church bulletin. Lots and
> lots of possible reasons for sending out a mass e-mail that isn't spam.
>
>  From the discuss list:
> Michael Lissner to me, SOUNDS like a spammer of sorts, a man with a
> mission, whether a preacher or (based on his e-adr: aids hike . org) a
> promoter of some aids mission. To fool his ISPs, he should hire a
> software man to bypass his problem.
> Wish I had "125 of my ??? friends" deserving something personal! :-)
> Tork
or a parent coordinator for the 125 member high school band dealing with a
weekend trip. Travel arrangements (hotels, car pools, food,..etc etc)
provided by parents. Constant revisions. For a 2 to 3 week time frame you are
dealing with thousands of emails (fortunately not all at once).

Can't speak for Michael but there are many reasons why this feature would be
usefull to a non-commercial user.

Tom