Re: Latest Port of OpenOffice to ARM

Martin Hollmichel - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
Midhun,

I know that there's is ongoing work for maintaining the ARM port on the
latest codeline (OOo 2.4). I'd recommend to subscribe to the
[hidden email] mailing list
(http://porting.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectMailingListList) to get
assistance for your efforts,

Martin

Midhun A wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I am working on a ARM926EJ-S based processor and would like to run
> Open Office on it. What is the latest version of OpenOffice that has
> been ported to ARM? I have read about the port of a 1.1.x port by
> Peter Naulls. But 1.1.x is pretty old.
>
>    If there has been no version after 1.1.x which has been ported, I
> would to do the same. Are there any help pages for the same (Other
> than the "Implementation of Porting" page on porting.openoffice.org) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Midhun.

Re: Re: Latest Port of OpenOffice to ARM

Caolán McNamara

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 10:38 +0100, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
> Midhun A wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I am working on a ARM926EJ-S based processor and would like to run
> > Open Office on it. What is the latest version of OpenOffice that has
> > been ported to ARM? I have read about the port of a 1.1.x port by
> > Peter Naulls. But 1.1.x is pretty old.

There are two arm abis as you probably know, the "oabi" and "eabi". The
original 1.1.x port by Naulls for some reason didn't make its way into
the 2.0 codeline even though it was in the 1.1.x one.

I updated it to work again with the bridge changes made during the 2.x.y
codeline and remerged it back in and fixed up a few little things and
then extended it to also work for the eabi (soft-float). So those
updated uno bridges are back in to OOH680, i.e. the up and coming 2.4.0
version.

I did the port and testing on qemu with debian for oabi arm and fedora
for eabi arm. qemu doesn't emulate arm hardware alignment issues I
believe, so you may need to build on a real arm and do some testing to
see if there are any outstanding alignment problems. But for testing
purposes the installsets of the first development versions of the new
eabi port and updated oabi port are still available from
http://ooo.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/cws/upload/armeabiport01/
and
http://ooo.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/cws/upload/armoabiport01/
Though I would reccommend you build your own 2.4.0 OOH680_mX candidate
from scratch for real testing, e.g. I built the armeabi one with java
disabled, but since those install sets were created gcj for arm-eabi has
since become available so the java components should now be possible to
build.

C.

Re: Re: Latest Port of OpenOffice to ARM

Midhun A
Hi,

  Thanks a lot for the replies.

> Though I would reccommend you build your own 2.4.0 OOH680_mX candidate
> from scratch for real testing, e.g. I built the armeabi one with java

   I would like to build one myself. Is there a page/link where I can
find how? Or should I try it myself? Is the page for building
OpenOffice from sources(http://tools.openoffice.org) fine to start
with? I do have cross-compiler for arm based on gcc 3.4.6.

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 22:42 +0530, Midhun A wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Thanks a lot for the replies.
>
> > Though I would reccommend you build your own 2.4.0 OOH680_mX candidate
> > from scratch for real testing, e.g. I built the armeabi one with java
>
>    I would like to build one myself. Is there a page/link where I can
> find how? Or should I try it myself? Is the page for building
> OpenOffice from sources(http://tools.openoffice.org) fine to start
> with? I do have cross-compiler for arm based on gcc 3.4.6.

I'd suggest to first get OOo built on a "standard" platform like i386 or
x86_64 so you have a known working platform to compare against.
Afterwards, unfortunately, OOo isn't really truly cross-buildable, but
what I would do is to install distcc client on the arm and distcc server
on the host with the PATH on the host set up to use the arm
cross-compiler and the DISTCC_HOSTS on the arm client pointing to the
server. That works at least to shift the compilation off the arm.

C.

Re: Re: Re: Latest Port of OpenOffice to ARM

ligang-3
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the Openoffice porting infomations.

I'm compiling Openoffice for ARM eabi,I use qemu and run debian on it.
I compiled it with debian script as debian/rules build
I found it is too slow(It compiled for 7 days and still compiling now).

I installed distcc and use "debian/rules build CC=distcc CXX=distcc" but it
seems no effect,my distcc server recieved no distcc request.
How do you compiled it with distcc? I want use it to speed up my compile.

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 18:43 +0800, ligang wrote:
> I installed distcc and use "debian/rules build CC=distcc CXX=distcc" but it
> seems no effect,my distcc server recieved no distcc request.
> How do you compiled it with distcc? I want use it to speed up my compile.

On my fedora-arm-eabi under qemu (with user networking, i.e. the default
mode under qemu) I just have...

export PATH=/usr/lib/distcc/bin:$PATH
export DISTCC_HOSTS=10.0.2.2:1234

where I have a distcc server running on the x86_64 host at port 1234,
and it is then pointing to an arm cross-compiler.

Might be helpful is you make sure you can connect out of the qemu to the
host, e.g. inside qemu "ssh -l username 10.0.2.2" should work. If that
works then make sure that DISTCC_HOSTS is set correctly and that `which
g++` points eventually to distcc etc.

C.