Re: Minor thesaurus problem with antonyms

Re: Minor thesaurus problem with antonyms

thomas.lange

Hi,

ge wrote:

> Why not use for all dictionaries the same terminology in one language (for example, and probably best, in English):
> like:
>  (adj)|albescent (similar term)|light (related term)|light-colored
>  (related term)|black (antonym)
>
> Use the term antonym, similar term, related term, etc...
> If dictionary maintainers know this rule, since it will be documented, they will use it.
>
> At present, the application (Oo) would work only for the English dictionary  well, later for all.

Of course that would work.
But it would also look odd for native users (especially those without
English skills) if suddenly their thesaurus speaks English even if that
happens only for the explanations.

However if we are going to require that each thesaurus maintainer needs
to modify the dictionary to help fix this it could be done by
introducing a new additional tag that needs to be added to antonyms.
E.g. "[A]", "<#A>" or something similar.

Thomas

Re: Minor thesaurus problem with antonyms

Susana Sotelo Docio
Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg escribiu:
> But it would also look odd for native users (especially those without
> English skills) if suddenly their thesaurus speaks English even if that
> happens only for the explanations.
>
> However if we are going to require that each thesaurus maintainer needs
> to modify the dictionary to help fix this it could be done by
> introducing a new additional tag that needs to be added to antonyms.
> E.g. "[A]", "<#A>" or something similar.

I think that an English abbreviation (such as "ant" for antonyms or "syn"
for synonyms) would be more human-readable, even for non English-speaking
thesaurus maintainers. But if you want to use neutral tags for this
relations, you could consider the marks used in Wordnet (en).

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/man/wninput.5WN.html

!    Antonym
&    Similar to
@    Hypernym
~    Hyponym

etc

"O respecto do home cara aos animais é inseparábel do respecto dos homes entre
eles propios." -- Anónimo