Re: Open office for Mac OS X Version 10.4

Re: Open office for Mac OS X Version 10.4

Pavel Janík
   From: "David Bachmann" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:29:19 +0100

   > I was wondering if open office is going to be available for Mac OS
   > X Version 10.4. And if yes, when.

Please remember that our project is named OpenOffice.org. Do not use term
like "open office" and similar when you are talking about our project.
--
Pavel Jan?k

... feels much better than any (2.4?) kernel before. I do not know what
happend/changed exactly, but this is the first kernel which does not swap
out exact this application I will need next.
                  -- Adrian Schroeter about 2.4.10-pre14aa

   From: Chad Smith <[hidden email]>
   Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 15:00:02 -0500

Chad,

   > NeoOffice/J is OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X that has been made to work

please do not lie to users asking about Mac OS X versions. NeoOffice/J is
not OpenOffice.org. NeoOffice/J is *based on* OpenOffice.org. The same way
StarOffice is based on it. Sun is not telling their customers that
StarOffice is OpenOffice.org. Why? Because they do not lie to them.

You do!  Please stop that!
--
Pavel Jan?k

Actually, we've just rescheduled: the word now is that Emacs 21 will not be
released before year 2005.
                  -- Eli Zaretskii in comp.emacs about release of Emacs 21

Re: Open office for Mac OS X Version 10.4 (OT)

Andrew Fisk
Who pi**ed in your Wheaties -- how about we relax and do what helps
people out! and yes Neo Office will help Mac users out and bring them
into the community -- it's just like if I go to a restaurant and ask
for a Coke -- I really don't care if it is Pepsi as long as it is
cold and tastes OK.

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
441 Beaver Street
Suite 202
Sewickley, PA 15143
Phone (412) 749-0162
Fax: (412) 749-0203
[hidden email]
www.spitcomp.com

On Nov 7, 2005, at 3:18 AM, Pavel Janík wrote:

>    From: Chad Smith <[hidden email]>
>    Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 15:00:02 -0500
>
> Chad,
>
>> NeoOffice/J is OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X that has been made to work
>
> please do not lie to users asking about Mac OS X versions.
> NeoOffice/J is
> not OpenOffice.org. NeoOffice/J is *based on* OpenOffice.org. The
> same way
> StarOffice is based on it. Sun is not telling their customers that
> StarOffice is OpenOffice.org. Why? Because they do not lie to them.
>
> You do!  Please stop that!
> --
> Pavel Janík
>
> Actually, we've just rescheduled: the word now is that Emacs 21
> will not be
> released before year 2005.
>                   -- Eli Zaretskii in comp.emacs about release of
> Emacs 21

Re: Open office for Mac OS X Version 10.4

Ross Bernheim

On Nov 7, 2005, at 0:18, Pavel Janík wrote:

>    From: Chad Smith <[hidden email]>
>    Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 15:00:02 -0500
>
> Chad,
>
>> NeoOffice/J is OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X that has been made to work
>
> please do not lie to users asking about Mac OS X versions. NeoOffice/J
> is
> not OpenOffice.org. NeoOffice/J is *based on* OpenOffice.org. The same
> way
> StarOffice is based on it. Sun is not telling their customers that
> StarOffice is OpenOffice.org. Why? Because they do not lie to them.
>
> You do!  Please stop that!
> --

You are correct. However, OOo on Mac OS X, until version 2.0, would not
run
on Mac OS X's windowing system. For someone not familiar with
installing the
X-11 windowing system onto Mac OS X it was a no-go. Even so, before OS X
10.3, there is no Apple supported X-11 windowing system which makes
things
a bit harder.

With Apple's X-11 OOo 1.1.4 will install and run. It is not very well
integrated
into the Mac environment at all. OOo 2.0 works a lot better as it has
been
ported to the Mac and uses the native Mac windowing system. Though it
should be noted there are still a few problems with this version of OOo
on
the Mac. In particular it won't work with files on a server, only files
on disks
mounted locally.

If a Mac user asks about a version of OOo for use under Mac OS X, there
are
the thee choices of what to run. It depends on the user and their
computer
knowledge and what version of OS X they are running and what features
are of most importance for them.

I have all three on this machine at work and on my Mac at home. I will
be
using only OOo 2.0 when it is capable of working on the files on my
Samba
server.

The point of all this long rambling is that while you are correct and
the
original poster should be a bit clearer about the distinction between
NeoOfice/J and OOo, the distinction is mainly lost on the new user
who just wants to know what to do to get OOo or a port/adaptation
to run on their Mac. From their viewpoint the distinctions are not
important.

Also note that NeoOffice/J was linked to from the OOo web site and
treated almost like an official port of OOo for a long while. This was
due to the difficulties and time it was taking to do an official port to
the Mac OS X.

So chill. A gentle reminder is all that is needed.

Apologies if I misconstrued anyone's position or intent.

Ross Bernheim

A happy OOo / NeoOffice/J user
At home, at work
On Mac OS X and Linux

The price of freedom is eternal litigation.

Re: Open office for Mac OS X Version 10.4

Andrew Fisk
I don't think 2.0 uses Apple's windowing -- The little X in the title
bar might be a give away.

Thanks

On Nov 8, 2005, at 15:00, Andrew Fisk wrote:

> I don't think 2.0 uses Apple's windowing -- The little X in the title
> bar might be a give away.

I didn't spend a lot of time with 2.0 on the Mac yet due to it not
being able to work with files
on my samba server. I did notice that it is now a Mac app and shows in
the toolbar itself
rather than a start OOo app.

Still using mostly NeoOffice/J 'til they fix the problem with OOo 2.0
working with files on
the samba server.

Ross Bernheim