Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 24/10/2014 Rich Bowen wrote:
> One more try - can any of you fine OpenOffice folks whip up a slide
> template for ApacheCon EU, like was done for Denver?

Let's forward this to the OpenOffice dev list too (in CC) and see if it
is a yes! Volunteers? Templates to be refreshed are here:

http://templates.openoffice.org/en/search?search_api_views_fulltext=apachecon&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC

ApacheCon EU is in Budapest, Hungary, in case someone doesn't know (old
templates often used the country colors, but this is not a must).

Regards,
   Andrea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Rich Bowen

On 10/24/2014 03:36 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 24/10/2014 Rich Bowen wrote:
>> One more try - can any of you fine OpenOffice folks whip up a slide
>> template for ApacheCon EU, like was done for Denver?
>
> Let's forward this to the OpenOffice dev list too (in CC) and see if
> it is a yes! Volunteers? Templates to be refreshed are here:
>
> http://templates.openoffice.org/en/search?search_api_views_fulltext=apachecon&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC 
>
>
> ApacheCon EU is in Budapest, Hungary, in case someone doesn't know
> (old templates often used the country colors, but this is not a must).

Awesome.

The image on the website is white on a transparent background, which
poses difficulties. :-) Feel free to tweak that if you need to.

--
Rich Bowen - [hidden email] - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Rony G. Flatscher-2

On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:

>
> On 10/24/2014 03:36 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 24/10/2014 Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> One more try - can any of you fine OpenOffice folks whip up a slide
>>> template for ApacheCon EU, like was done for Denver?
>>
>> Let's forward this to the OpenOffice dev list too (in CC) and see if it is a yes! Volunteers?
>> Templates to be refreshed are here:
>>
>> http://templates.openoffice.org/en/search?search_api_views_fulltext=apachecon&sort_by=created&sort_order=ASC
>>
>>
>> ApacheCon EU is in Budapest, Hungary, in case someone doesn't know (old templates often used the
>> country colors, but this is not a must).
>
> Awesome.
>
> The image on the website is white on a transparent background, which poses difficulties. :-) Feel
> free to tweak that if you need to.

Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/speaker-guide.>, which is a
breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file! My AOO crashes constantly on that presentation "template" on my
old Windows XP machine due to the size.

Obviously, someone who has no clues what s/he does used incredible sizes for some of the
(background) pictures creating such an abmysal presntation.

This is what one could do to resolve the issue:

  * unzip "ApacheEU_PPT_v2_ac.odp", switch into the "Pictures" subdirectory and load the two huge
    png-files that stand-out in that directory and resize them e.g. to 1024x768 pixel (fine result,
    1/10th of the size, size could be reduced even further).
  * zip all the files and subdirectory to a new "ApacheEU_PPT_v2_ac_sane.odp" file.

In my case I could reduce the size to two MB and AOO is happily processing it.

Though the design is extremely dark, so I wonder whether it would be o.k. to use one owns
template/design (carrying the AOO logo and the Apache feather)?

---rony

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 10/11/2014 Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
> On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/speaker-guide which is a
> breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file!

CCing the dev@community list again to say that Nick Burch provided a
nicer (and smaller) template at
http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp

(Nick, thank you and you can upload it to
http://templates.openoffice.org/ too!)

Regards,
   Andrea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Guy Waterval
Hi all,

2014-11-11 0:27 GMT+01:00 Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/11/2014 Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>
>> On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/
>> program/speaker-guide which is a
>> breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file!
>>
>
> CCing the dev@community list again to say that Nick Burch provided a
> nicer (and smaller) template at
> http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp
>
> (Nick, thank you and you can upload it to http://templates.openoffice.org/
> too!)
>

Really nice, indeed, many thanks to the author..
I've not seen the licence in the properties of this document.
Is it possible to know how this document can be reused ?

A+
--
gw

>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 11/11/2014 Guy Waterval wrote:
>> http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp
> Really nice, indeed, many thanks to the author..
> I've not seen the licence in the properties of this document.
> Is it possible to know how this document can be reused ?

Nick is going to get it clarified (some graphics is from the conference
producers). But this will happen next week at ApacheCon, not earlier.

Regards,
   Andrea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Shane Curcuru
In reply to this post by Andrea Pescetti-2
On 11/10/14 6:27 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 10/11/2014 Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>> On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/speaker-guide
>> which is a
>> breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file!
>
> CCing the dev@community list again to say that Nick Burch provided a
> nicer (and smaller) template at
> http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp
>
> (Nick, thank you and you can upload it to
> http://templates.openoffice.org/ too!)
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Nice!  Is there a pointer to an easy and complete description of how to
swap out the 18MB masters/background for Nick's improved version?  I'm
still lost when it comes to bulk formatting changes in Impress.

- Shane


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Rob Weir-4
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Shane Curcuru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/10/14 6:27 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> On 10/11/2014 Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>>> On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/speaker-guide
>>> which is a
>>> breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file!
>>
>> CCing the dev@community list again to say that Nick Burch provided a
>> nicer (and smaller) template at
>> http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp
>>
>> (Nick, thank you and you can upload it to
>> http://templates.openoffice.org/ too!)
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Andrea.
>
> Nice!  Is there a pointer to an easy and complete description of how to
> swap out the 18MB masters/background for Nick's improved version?  I'm
> still lost when it comes to bulk formatting changes in Impress.
>

The command line way is simple/direct:

1) Unzip the ODP file to disk

2) Look for any large image files

3) Load the large image files into an editor and reduce
resolution/color depth, increase compression, whatever you need to do
to make it smaller.

4) Save image file back to same name/same directory.

5) Zip up the directory, renaming it to and *.odp extension if needed.

ODF files are just ZIP archives containing XML + binary resources like
images.  So they are very hackable from the command line, once you
unzip them.

Regards,

-Rob


> - Shane
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice folks: ApacheCon template?

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 11/14/14, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Shane Curcuru <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On 11/10/14 6:27 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> On 10/11/2014 Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>>>> On 24.10.2014 21:49, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>>> Just received an e-mail pointing to the ApacheCon EU template at
>>>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/speaker-guide
>>>> which is a
>>>> breathtaking 18 (eighteen) MB file!
>>>
>>> CCing the dev@community list again to say that Nick Burch provided a
>>> nicer (and smaller) template at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~nick/NickTemplateACEU14.odp
>>>
>>> (Nick, thank you and you can upload it to
>>> http://templates.openoffice.org/ too!)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.
>>
>> Nice!  Is there a pointer to an easy and complete description of how to
>> swap out the 18MB masters/background for Nick's improved version?  I'm
>> still lost when it comes to bulk formatting changes in Impress.
>>
>
> The command line way is simple/direct:
>
> 1) Unzip the ODP file to disk
>
> 2) Look for any large image files
>
> 3) Load the large image files into an editor and reduce
> resolution/color depth, increase compression, whatever you need to do
> to make it smaller.

I would recommend using vectors like SVG or indexed PNG instead. If
you want to keep it ODF-like, maybe do the design on ODG.


>
> 4) Save image file back to same name/same directory.
>
> 5) Zip up the directory, renaming it to and *.odp extension if needed.

AFAIK there are issues with zipping an ODF file. I remember this was
reported on some ODF blog since the way WinZip ad other programs zip
by default is not 'standard' with ODF editors. Might need to google it
again, but it just jump into mind.

>
> ODF files are just ZIP archives containing XML + binary resources like
> images.  So they are very hackable from the command line, once you
> unzip them.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
>
>> - Shane
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
882C 4389 3C27 E8DF 41B9  5C4C 1DB7 9D1C 7F4C 2614

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]