Re: Problem printing PDF files

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 07:15 +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:

> I am using OpenOffice 2.0 on a SPARC system running Solaris 9 with an HP
> LaserJet 4M PostScript printer attached.  I create a document in Writer
> and can print it just fine.  I export the document to PDF and look at it
> just fine with either acroread(1) or xpdf(1).  However, when I attempt to
> print the PDF file from either application, the document gets sent to the
> printer (which blinks as it receives the PostScript) but then the printer
> halts without printing anything.  It is as if the PostScript job is not
> terminated (a missing Control-D ??). I can print the PDF to a file and view
> the resulting PostScript document with a graphical program and it gets
> rendered just fine, but again, sending this file to the printer using lp(1)
> produces no output.
>
> Any suggestions as to what is wrong and what can be done about it?
>
> Thanks.

Check that the postscript level is compatible with your printer. 4m is
old so level 1 might be appropriate.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Re: Problem printing PDF files

John P. Fisher
On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 23:59 +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:

Jeff, FWIW, I print from Linux to an HP 4mv. My doc is 200 pages with
graphics, and it prints slowly, but it does print.

However, I can't print perfectly from FC4 KDE default install settings,
the footer gets misplaced. My pdfs do print fine from Win2k.

Also, Acroread7 is the only Linux/KDE pdf reader that correctly renders
bookmarks.

I wonder if we both have print driver problems? Yours more severe than
mine. Anyway the printer WILL work with the OOo pdf output.
HTH a little
John

John Fisher at Znyx Networks
Santa Barbara office