Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Andrea Pescetti-2
Mechtilde wrote:
> My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template ...
> I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.

Please find more comprehensive information here:

https://s.apache.org/Dukc

This is a set of messages I sent to the dev list with everything I
managed to discover at the time. It might help you make some progress.

> Does someone use Visual Studio for building and can provide an actual
> *.sdf file.

I really don't think Visual Studio has relevance here. All my
presentation and mailing list messages were done on Linux (no Visual
Studio).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello,

as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.

Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.

After preparing a build directory there I could start localize successful.

I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
many *.pot files in different directories.

Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
effectivly?

Then I can look for the next steps.

Please help!

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Dick Groskamp wrote:
> As far as my memory serves me, no additions to Pootle were made after
> 3.3 or 3.4.

No, that should be much more recent. Pootle hasn't been used after 4.1.0
since all the 4.1.x releases did not contain string changes. But 4.0.0
and 4.1.0 were fully translated in Pootle (maybe 4.1.0 was updated only
on demand since we didn't have many string changes between 4.0.0 and 4.1.0).

> Pootle came to a halt in probably the year or the year after it went to
> Apache.

It didn't come to a halt per se; simply, new releases haven't brought
string changes and 4.2.0 will be the first release where we need to
import a significant number of string changes.

> Having the old translations in Pootle would require an upgrading of the
> templates in Pootle, used for the translations, with preservation of the
> translated strings.

Due to code changes, 4.2.0 will need some special work: we moved some
strings, and Pootle won't be able to recognize they were moved. But its
built-in translation memory will probably hep and suggest the previous
translation if people are willing to review.

> I mainly worked with translated PO-files ( checking with GSIcheck and
> repairing errors and then putting the corrected PO-files back)

So, would you be able to export (I assume) Dutch from Pootle, pass it
through GSIcheck, check that it passes and document this step? I
remember having troubles at this step when I tried last year, but (even
if I've helped with translations since the pre-Apache era) GSIcheck was
never part of my routine.

Regards,
   Andrea.