Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

frank.schoenheit
Hello Pierre-Yves,

> 1. Tree Control in Dialog editor is a main good news.
> I saw it in beta OOo 2.3. But where is the documentation , or, example
> snippet, as to populate it.
> (there is no 'Data' tab in the properties for this control).

I don't know much about this control, except that it has been
implemented for 2.3. Perhaps you should ask this in [hidden email].

> 2. About sub-report:
> -thanks for indication in 'Form navigator'. It seems to be working for
> reports as well as for forms.

No. A report incidentally is a text document which can contain logical
forms. Nonetheless, whatever you add to those logical forms in the form
navigator, is not respected by the report (it was never designed this way).

> - but meanwhile I had a test of Sun Report Writer, which seems much
> better than Report Wizard, for our needs. Is this Report Writer the
> future of OOoWizard?

Yes.

> But then, why no subreporting possibility in Report Builder? Is there
> roadmap for this ? Shorttime?

There is no concrete roadmap for this, we still have decide on the next
steps.

> 3. I quote this from you : "before we move to dialog-based forms"
> Do you have more info about this?
> Will ODT forms be abandoned?

In general, I think that forms are for the database-driven application
to have a dialog with the user. For this, text documents as in the
current form are not optimal. For instance, you cannot declare the text
document to have a fixed size/position, to be modal, you're distracted
by the dozens of toolbars, and the like. Instead, I think we should have
dialogs (similar to the dialogs you can create in the Basic IDE) which
can contain database-bound controls.

There is no concrete plan to implement this (though I wish it were).
When we do, we will surely not abandon ODT forms, but offer dialog-based
forms as additional possibility.

Ciao
Frank

PS: Your mails do not appear in [hidden email], which is
somewhat strange. Are you subscribed to this list?

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [hidden email] -
- Sun Microsystems                      http://www.sun.com/staroffice -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Ariel Constenla-Haile
Hi Pierre, hi Frank

[CC to Pierre with an attachment]

Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:
> Hello Pierre-Yves,
>
>> 1. Tree Control in Dialog editor is a main good news.
>> I saw it in beta OOo 2.3. But where is the documentation , or, example
>> snippet, as to populate it.
>> (there is no 'Data' tab in the properties for this control).
>
> I don't know much about this control, except that it has been
> implemented for 2.3. Perhaps you should ask this in [hidden email].


I started yesterday to "play" with the new tree control.
I send you Pierre a zip with an ODT containing a basic library with a
very simple example. Please unzip the file and keep the ODT together
with the other folders (the icon's URLs are read relative to the ODT).

The example is very simple, as I couldn't download the source code for
2.3.0 (where I hope to find the IDL for the new css.awt.tree API,
because in the API reference on-line there is nothing).

As soon as read the reference I will add more complex things (listeners
and all that stuff).

By the way, I've found in different looks & feels under Windows an issue
when painting the selected node/leaf label: the tree node/leaf is
selected, but the text of the label does not paint properly, stays
always black.
Another issue: the border is always the same: no 3d nor border color.

Pierre ,tell me please how it looks in your env. (compare it the tree on
Tools -> Options), and if you find the sames - and other - issues (so we
tel the people from the API project).


Bye and luck with the tree control!

PS: YOU WILL NEED TO RUN THE SAMPLE OOo 2.3.0, OF COURSE !!!

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[hidden email]
[hidden email]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

TREE_CONTROL.zip (46K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Uwe Fischer
In reply to this post by frank.schoenheit
Hi,

Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:
>>> 1. Tree Control in Dialog editor is a main good news.
>>> I saw it in beta OOo 2.3. But where is the documentation , or, example
>>> snippet, as to populate it.
>>> (there is no 'Data' tab in the properties for this control).
>>
>> I don't know much about this control, except that it has been
>> implemented for 2.3. Perhaps you should ask this in [hidden email].
...

unfortunately, the documentation team doesn't know much about this
control, too.
The necessary information might be somewhere at awt::tree os such a
place, but then no one knows exact details.
I cannot believe how such a feature managed it to get into the code
without any further information what it does and what it contains.

Uwe
--
   [hidden email]  -  Technical Writer
   StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany
   http://www.sun.com/staroffice
   http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/index.html
   http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:OnlineHelp
   http://blogs.sun.com/oootnt

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Cor Nouws
Uwe Fischer schreef:

> unfortunately, the documentation team doesn't know much about this
> control, too.
> The necessary information might be somewhere at awt::tree os such a
> place, but then no one knows exact details.

Could this help?
http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/dialog_ide/New_Tree_Control_in_IDE.odt

> I cannot believe how such a feature managed it to get into the code
> without any further information what it does and what it contains.

Me too, missed it initially when gathering info for 2.3

Pls see my simple questions on releases@OOo
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=releases&msgNo=10949

Regards,
Cor
--

Cor Nouws
Arnhem - Netherlands
nl.OpenOffice.org - marketing contact

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Ariel Constenla-Haile
In reply to this post by Uwe Fischer
Hi Uwe,

Uwe Fischer escribió:
> I cannot believe how such a feature managed it to get into the code
> without any further information what it does and what it contains.
>
> Uwe


right now (20:00 PM Argentina) in downloading the source code for OOo
2.3 Release Candidate 1 (build OOG680_m3), I hope that there is the IDL
for the new css.tree module, because I searched on the internet, and
there seems to be NOTHING at ALL.

By the way, the control seems to be very JTree-like, at least the name
of some of the interfaces and services are just like the Swing JTree.

If you see the example I posted, there is a MutableTreeNode, etc.

Tomorrow I tell you if I found the IDL.


Bye


--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[hidden email]
[hidden email]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

frank.schoenheit
In reply to this post by Ariel Constenla-Haile
Hello Ariel,

> The example is very simple, as I couldn't download the source code for
> 2.3.0 (where I hope to find the IDL for the new css.awt.tree API,
> because in the API reference on-line there is nothing).

The online API reference is updated with the release only (2.3 in this
case). This might in fact be unfortunate in situations where you want to
play with new API. However, given the hassle to update the IDL reference
(collab.net is unable to provide a reasonable mechanism for it, instead
all those zillions of html files are maintained via CVS), I doubt we
could convince anybody to update the online reference more frequently.

If this would help, I'd build a version of the IDL reference locally,
and put it online as ZIP somewhere.

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [hidden email] -
- Sun Microsystems                      http://www.sun.com/staroffice -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

frank.schoenheit
In reply to this post by Ariel Constenla-Haile
Hi Ariel,

> By the way, the control seems to be very JTree-like, at least the name
> of some of the interfaces and services are just like the Swing JTree.

Yes, several other tree APIs were examined, and JTree was considered
worth learning from :)

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [hidden email] -
- Sun Microsystems                      http://www.sun.com/staroffice -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Ariel Constenla-Haile
In reply to this post by frank.schoenheit
Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:
> Hello Ariel,

> If this would help, I'd build a version of the IDL reference locally,
> and put it online as ZIP somewhere.
>

If you can I will thank you.
In the mean time, there is no reference for awt.tree in the *new* SDK
2.3 (nor docs/common/... nor idl/).
But I could find it in the source code
OOo_2.3.0rc1_src_core/OOG680_m3/offapi/com/sun/star/awt/tree.
Shouldn't they have shiped the "new" SDK with the new IDL? :-(

Bye and thanks.


--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[hidden email]
[hidden email]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

Ariel Constenla-Haile
In reply to this post by frank.schoenheit
Hi Frank

Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:

> Hello Ariel,
>
>> The example is very simple, as I couldn't download the source code for
>> 2.3.0 (where I hope to find the IDL for the new css.awt.tree API,
>> because in the API reference on-line there is nothing).
>
> The online API reference is updated with the release only (2.3 in this
> case). This might in fact be unfortunate in situations where you want to
> play with new API. However, given the hassle to update the IDL reference
> (collab.net is unable to provide a reasonable mechanism for it, instead
> all those zillions of html files are maintained via CVS), I doubt we
> could convince anybody to update the online reference more frequently.
>
> If this would help, I'd build a version of the IDL reference locally,
> and put it online as ZIP somewhere.

In the meantime, I did it myself (I didn't know it was so easy to use
OpenOffice.org_2.3_SDK\windows\bin\autodoc.exe !!!)

I put it online in my site:

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/docs/AWT_TREE_MODULE.zip


And added to my doc a more complex example (adapted from the
Scripting Framework example on the Developer's Guide
OpenOffice.org_2.3_SDK/examples/DevelopersGuide/ScriptingFramework/ScriptSelector/ScriptSelector)

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/docs/TREE_CONTROL.zip

If I'm inspirated this weekend, I think I will be able to send you next
week a first version of the OOoBase History and Favorites extension.

Bye and thanks.


--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[hidden email]
[hidden email]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Roadmap for OOo controls --- + Tree, and SUBREPORTS

utszcrystal
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Ariel Constenla-Haile
Can you give me one example with tree control id dialog using java language ? I need it! Thanks very much !