Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

123

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

wingman1985
Jan:
   I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you help
with that?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Would it not be possible to synchronize the accounts.
>
> I have an account on wiki.openoffice.org that does not work on
> cwiki.apache.org or alternatively keep this very relevant information on
> the openoffice wiki ?
>
> Of course I can make a second account, but...I am just dreaming of the day
> where I can do with a single account across all apache parts.
>
> rgds
> Jan I
>
> On 15 October 2012 13:48, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A quick reminder:  We have a page on the wiki that tracks the
> > volunteers per wiki.  It would be great if new volunteers could create
> > an account on the wiki and add their name for the appropriate
> > language(s):
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers
> >
> > This will help other new volunteers know who to contact if they want to
> > help.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Rob

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I would love to, but I dont have a cwiki account.

I hope we can persuade rob to make the page to wiki.openoffice.org, where
it really belongs.

Or if Rob agrees, I will copy it (and he can put a reference in the cwiki) ?

have a nice day.
Jan.

On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan:
>    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you help
> with that?
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Would it not be possible to synchronize the accounts.
> >
> > I have an account on wiki.openoffice.org that does not work on
> > cwiki.apache.org or alternatively keep this very relevant information on
> > the openoffice wiki ?
> >
> > Of course I can make a second account, but...I am just dreaming of the
> day
> > where I can do with a single account across all apache parts.
> >
> > rgds
> > Jan I
> >
> > On 15 October 2012 13:48, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > A quick reminder:  We have a page on the wiki that tracks the
> > > volunteers per wiki.  It would be great if new volunteers could create
> > > an account on the wiki and add their name for the appropriate
> > > language(s):
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers
> > >
> > > This will help other new volunteers know who to contact if they want to
> > > help.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -Rob

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Ricardo Berlasso
2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>

> I would love to, but I dont have a cwiki account.

Anyone can create a cwiki account: just click on "Sign Up".

Regards
Ricardo

> I hope we can persuade rob to make the page to wiki.openoffice.org, where
> it really belongs.
>
> Or if Rob agrees, I will copy it (and he can put a reference in the cwiki)
> ?
>
> have a nice day.
> Jan.
>
> On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Jan:
> >    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you
> help
> > with that?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Would it not be possible to synchronize the accounts.
> > >
> > > I have an account on wiki.openoffice.org that does not work on
> > > cwiki.apache.org or alternatively keep this very relevant information
> on
> > > the openoffice wiki ?
> > >
> > > Of course I can make a second account, but...I am just dreaming of the
> > day
> > > where I can do with a single account across all apache parts.
> > >
> > > rgds
> > > Jan I

> create
> > > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to maintain
in order to help on AOO.

If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in wiki.openoffice.org,
I would not think of cwiki.apache.org

or have I misunderstood something ?

rgds
Jan I.

On 16 October 2012 12:04, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>
> > I would love to, but I dont have a cwiki account.
> >

> Anyone can create a cwiki account: just click on "Sign Up".
>
> Regards
> Ricardo
>

> > I hope we can persuade rob to make the page to wiki.openoffice.org,
> where
> > it really belongs.
> >
> > Or if Rob agrees, I will copy it (and he can put a reference in the
> cwiki)
> > ?
> >
> > have a nice day.
> > Jan.
> >
> > On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Jan:
> > >    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you
> > help
> > > with that?
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]

> information
> > on

> the
> > > day

> > create
> > > > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

> want

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Ricardo Berlasso
2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>

> I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to maintain
> in order to help on AOO.
>
> If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
> wiki.openoffice.org,
> I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
>
> or have I misunderstood something ?
>
> rgds
> Jan I.

If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
(sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
memory... ;)

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Since I joined newly I have missed that.

But then I question myself, why wiki pages like:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Localization
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

is  not located on cwiki. To me there is not much difference in theme,
whether we talk "who" translates or "how to" translate,

Can you see why I find things very confusing ?

I have nothing against cwiki, I simply have something against having too
many user names, especially when apache could easily run a PAM server and
allow me to use the same user on e.g. cwiki and wiki (some of the older
apache projects have this nice feature).

rgds
JanI

On 16 October 2012 12:42, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>
> > I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to maintain
> > in order to help on AOO.
> >
> > If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
> > wiki.openoffice.org,
> > I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
> >
> > or have I misunderstood something ?
> >
> > rgds
> > Jan I.
> >

> If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
> memory... ;)
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Ricardo Berlasso
2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>

> Since I joined newly I have missed that.
>
> But then I question myself, why wiki pages like:
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Localization
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide
>
> is  not located on cwiki. To me there is not much difference in theme,
> whether we talk "who" translates or "how to" translate,
>
> Can you see why I find things very confusing ?

You are completely right, of course. Those pages were started before the
move to Apache so they are at mediawiki. At some point we will need to
discuss how to manage this situation and move things where they really
belong... but that's a lot of work!

A good starting point is to put new pages on the right places. Note that
I'm not saying which is the right place (mediawiki or cwiki) for
translation related efforts: maybe we need to start to discuss this on a
new thread.

Regards
Ricardo

> I have nothing against cwiki, I simply have something against having too
> many user names, especially when apache could easily run a PAM server and
> allow me to use the same user on e.g. cwiki and wiki (some of the older
> apache projects have this nice feature).
>
> rgds
> JanI
>
> On 16 October 2012 12:42, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to
> maintain
> > > in order to help on AOO.
> > >
> > > If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
> > > wiki.openoffice.org,
> > > I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
> > >
> > > or have I misunderstood something ?
> > >
> > > rgds
> > > Jan I.
> > >

> > If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> > (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> > traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
> > memory... ;)
> >
> > Regards
> > Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I am also not the one to make such decisions, but as you say at least new
pages should be in the right place.

Personally I find it correct to have one wiki for the broad community and
another for the developers. Even though in a couple of other projects we
only had one wiki and a top page called "development", but that is just a
matter of taste.

Work like translation and documentation are grey area between the "real"
end-user and the "real" developer. I think the community would benefit from
knowing who helps translate into their native language, I dont see why is
should be "hidden" information on the contrary I think the wiki would be a
good place to discuss mis-translations.

By the way I think the discussion is already started, hopefully others will
also give their view.

have a nice afternoon
janI

On 16 October 2012 13:15, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>
> > Since I joined newly I have missed that.
> >
> > But then I question myself, why wiki pages like:
> >
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Category:Localization
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
> >

> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide
> >
> > is  not located on cwiki. To me there is not much difference in theme,
> > whether we talk "who" translates or "how to" translate,
> >
> > Can you see why I find things very confusing ?
> >

> You are completely right, of course. Those pages were started before the
> move to Apache so they are at mediawiki. At some point we will need to
> discuss how to manage this situation and move things where they really
> belong... but that's a lot of work!
>
> A good starting point is to put new pages on the right places. Note that
> I'm not saying which is the right place (mediawiki or cwiki) for
> translation related efforts: maybe we need to start to discuss this on a
> new thread.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo
>

> > I have nothing against cwiki, I simply have something against having too
> > many user names, especially when apache could easily run a PAM server and
> > allow me to use the same user on e.g. cwiki and wiki (some of the older
> > apache projects have this nice feature).
> >
> > rgds
> > JanI

> > maintain

> > > If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> > > (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> > > traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust
> my
> > > memory... ;)
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Rob Weir
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>
>> I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to maintain
>> in order to help on AOO.
>>
>> If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
>> wiki.openoffice.org,
>> I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
>>
>> or have I misunderstood something ?
>>
>> rgds
>> Jan I.
>>

> If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
> memory... ;)

Historically there was a single website, www.openoffice.org that was
both user-facing and project-facing.  It was a single domain
(openoffice.org) as well as subdomains for distinct projects.  Behind
this domain were static web pages, a wiki, forums, extensions and
template libraries, etc.  So behind the scenes it was quite complex,
but to everyone it looked like "openoffice.org".

With the move to Apache the services were arranged differently.
Bugzilla is under an apache.org domain.   Apache Infrastructure
supported CWiki and MoinMoin, but not MWiki.  And all Apache projects
have an official page in the apache.org domain.

So the idea was that we would have two different experiences:  a
user-facing "product" website at openoffice.org, where we focus on
user-facing tasks like product information, downloads and support.
And a project-facing website, at an Apache domain, with information
for volunteers participating on the project.  So product versus
project.  The split is imperfect, since there is still a lot of
project-related content on the openoffice.org domain.  But I think
we've done a good job at making the user experience be clean.  A user
going to the www.openoffice.org home page does not easily find
outdated content.  However, some of the native language home pages,
the ones not maintained yet, have a worse experience.

-Rob

> Regards
> Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Don´t misunderstand me, I think everybody does a nice job in getting us in
the right direction.

I agree with the structure as such, it is just at the moment a pain in the
neck when you search information (and not to forget, my old horse, the
multiple logins).

I am just writing the last pages on "localization of AOO" describing the
current l10n process as ground work for a discussion on where we want to go.

I was suggested to make a subpage of the current page in Wiki, that will be
easy for me, but at the same time shows, that we need to make a deadline,
freeze the wiki for a couple of days and divide the pages.

rgds
JanI.

On 16 October 2012 14:34, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM, RGB ES <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 2012/10/16 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> I know...it is just a matter of how many accounts do you want to
> maintain
> >> in order to help on AOO.
> >>
> >> If I look for information regarding AOO I would look in
> >> wiki.openoffice.org,
> >> I would not think of cwiki.apache.org
> >>
> >> or have I misunderstood something ?
> >>
> >> rgds
> >> Jan I.
> >>

> > If my memory do not betray me (I cannot find the thread) there was
> > (sort-of) an agreement to use cwiki for development matters and the
> > traditional wiki for community support. But it is better to not trust my
> > memory... ;)
> >

> Historically there was a single website, www.openoffice.org that was
> both user-facing and project-facing.  It was a single domain
> (openoffice.org) as well as subdomains for distinct projects.  Behind
> this domain were static web pages, a wiki, forums, extensions and
> template libraries, etc.  So behind the scenes it was quite complex,
> but to everyone it looked like "openoffice.org".
>
> With the move to Apache the services were arranged differently.
> Bugzilla is under an apache.org domain.   Apache Infrastructure
> supported CWiki and MoinMoin, but not MWiki.  And all Apache projects
> have an official page in the apache.org domain.
>
> So the idea was that we would have two different experiences:  a
> user-facing "product" website at openoffice.org, where we focus on
> user-facing tasks like product information, downloads and support.
> And a project-facing website, at an Apache domain, with information
> for volunteers participating on the project.  So product versus
> project.  The split is imperfect, since there is still a lot of
> project-related content on the openoffice.org domain.  But I think
> we've done a good job at making the user experience be clean.  A user
> going to the www.openoffice.org home page does not easily find
> outdated content.  However, some of the native language home pages,
> the ones not maintained yet, have a worse experience.
>
> -Rob
>
> > Regards
> > Ricardo

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Wingman1985:

I have updated the page with your name.

I have also added the danish names.

rgds
Jan.
--- Do not win the battle just to loose the war --

On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan:
>    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you help
> with that?
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Would it not be possible to synchronize the accounts.
> >
> > I have an account on wiki.openoffice.org that does not work on
> > cwiki.apache.org or alternatively keep this very relevant information on
> > the openoffice wiki ?
> >
> > Of course I can make a second account, but...I am just dreaming of the
> day
> > where I can do with a single account across all apache parts.
> >
> > rgds
> > Jan I
> >
> > On 15 October 2012 13:48, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > A quick reminder:  We have a page on the wiki that tracks the
> > > volunteers per wiki.  It would be great if new volunteers could create
> > > an account on the wiki and add their name for the appropriate
> > > language(s):
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers
> > >
> > > This will help other new volunteers know who to contact if they want to
> > > help.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -Rob

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

John Rudolf H. Rask
Something off topic: Your signature sounds like a pyrrhus-victory! Winning
the battle at a price so big that you loose the war! - Another way of
saying it: You must pick your battles!!

r5s
John

--
/* My sites:
http://bedreit.dk
Indspark.blogspot.com
Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

wingman1985
Jan:
   Thank you so much. Right now I am still struggling with my way around
here. Hope I can sort things quickly.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Wingman1985:
>
> I have updated the page with your name.
>
> I have also added the danish names.
>
> rgds
> Jan.
> --- Do not win the battle just to loose the war --
>
> On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Jan:
> >    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you
> help
> > with that?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Would it not be possible to synchronize the accounts.
> > >
> > > I have an account on wiki.openoffice.org that does not work on
> > > cwiki.apache.org or alternatively keep this very relevant information
> on
> > > the openoffice wiki ?
> > >
> > > Of course I can make a second account, but...I am just dreaming of the
> > day
> > > where I can do with a single account across all apache parts.
> > >
> > > rgds
> > > Jan I

> create
> > > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Just ask if you have problems, that is the purpose of this list :-)

there is a description of the current technical process in wiki:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO

have a nice day

jan I

Den 18/10/2012 02.26 skrev "wingman1985" <[hidden email]>:

> Jan:
>    Thank you so much. Right now I am still struggling with my way around
> here. Hope I can sort things quickly.
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Wingman1985:
> >
> > I have updated the page with your name.
> >
> > I have also added the danish names.
> >
> > rgds
> > Jan.
> > --- Do not win the battle just to loose the war --
> >
> > On 16 October 2012 08:15, wingman1985 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Jan:
> > >    I checked and did not find volunteers for Chinese language. Can you
> > help
> > > with that?
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]

> information
> > on

> the
> > > day

> > create
> > > > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

> want

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

John Rudolf H. Rask
When I save a file in poedit it gets saved as a file with mo as extension:
filename.mo - Should I rather save it as a po file or is mo used so that
you can see which files I have changed!?

Regards
John

--
/* My sites:
http://bedreit.dk
Indspark.blogspot.com
Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Ups forgot to tell you that!

When you save a file, the original .po is overwritten (look at the modif.
time), and that is what we use.

The .mo file is a compiled file, that we do not use, so once you are
finished you (or I) can throw all .mo files away before delivery.

Rgds
Jan.

On 18 October 2012 14:05, John Rudolf H. Rask <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I save a file in poedit it gets saved as a file with mo as extension:
> filename.mo - Should I rather save it as a po file or is mo used so that
> you can see which files I have changed!?
>
> Regards
> John
>
> 2012/10/18 jan iversen <[hidden email]>
>
> > Just ask if you have problems, that is the purpose of this list :-)
> >
> > there is a description of the current technical process in wiki:
> >
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO
> >

> > have a nice day
> >
> > jan I
> >

> > Den 18/10/2012 02.26 skrev "wingman1985" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Jan:
> > >    Thank you so much. Right now I am still struggling with my way
> around
> > > here. Hope I can sort things quickly.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]

> > you

> > [hidden email]

> > > information

> of
> > > the

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Localization+Volunteers

> > > want

> --
> /* My sites:
> http://bedreit.dk
> Indspark.blogspot.com
> Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/16/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don´t misunderstand me, I think everybody does a nice job in getting us in
> the right direction.
>
> I agree with the structure as such, it is just at the moment a pain in the
> neck when you search information (and not to forget, my old horse, the
> multiple logins).

Is called transitional period. It seems Apache people dont want to
deal with PHP, something that Sun didn't mind as much. So most
infrastructure (Mediawiki, PHPBBs, Drupal) are in a virtual
environment at the moment.

Multiple logins have always been an issue in OOo as a whole, the idea
of implementing OpenID came out several times, but many people didnt
seem to mind just having multiple accounts, so it never gained
traction.

Now at apache, doesnt seem that different except for pootle that share
your commit credentials with http://people.apache.org but neither
forums, extensions or cwiki share these credentials.

> I am just writing the last pages on "localization of AOO" describing the
> current l10n process as ground work for a discussion on where we want to
> go.

Again this should be included in MWiki IMO so there is no 'old
localization' and 'new localization'. I suggest a good start would be
to create links between them and mark outdated information as such.
MWiki had special tags for this.

padding: 4px; text-align: left; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom:
20px;">
[[image:documentation_exclamation.png|40px]] This article is outdated.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ups forgot to tell you that!
>
> When you save a file, the original .po is overwritten (look at the modif.
> time), and that is what we use.
>
> The .mo file is a compiled file, that we do not use, so once you are
> finished you (or I) can throw all .mo files away before delivery.

This was a problem as well, we kept the po under SVN so we can have
some version control, but werent able to track users-changes, it was
all done by the 'pootle' user.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I have already put links in place, both on the localization page and on the
original (not old :) ) document.

It is now updated with you snippet.

jan

On 18 October 2012 15:05, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> user-facing tasks like product information, downloads and support.
> >> And a project-facing website, at an Apache domain, with information
> >> for volunteers participating on the project.  So product versus
> >> project.  The split is imperfect, since there is still a lot of
> >> project-related content on the openoffice.org domain.  But I think
> >> we've done a good job at making the user experience be clean.  A user
> >> going to the www.openoffice.org home page does not easily find
> >> outdated content.  However, some of the native language home pages,
> >> the ones not maintained yet, have a worse experience.
> >>
> >> -Rob

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

At the moment only the sdf files are kept in SVN ??

The po files are soley in the pootle mysql database.

Beginning next week you will see my proposal for the new l10n structure,
and one of the items is that the pootle server access SVN directly for 2
reasons:
- Translators can just as programmers track changes
- There are a lot less steps between the developer and the translator, only
a commit.

jan

123