Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

123

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have already put links in place, both on the localization page and on the
> original (not old :) ) document.
>
> It is now updated with you snippet.

Since we are in this topic there is also another branch that would
need to be updated -- eventually. Which is the l10n.openoffice.org
website. This was updated back in 2010 and most of the update process
was documented here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/L10n_Web_Pages_Reloaded

We should use this docs as a framework to see in what stages we want
to update the infromation and also to what extend. There is still a
lot of infrastructure to be done specially on QA-Testing and release
sync.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

John Rudolf H. Rask
Does <caseinline select=\"MAC\">Æble</caseinline> mean that this
translation also works at mac computers?

Asta luego
John

--
/* My sites:
http://bedreit.dk
Indspark.blogspot.com
Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

John Rudolf H. Rask
The missing context of the translated text sometimes makes it impossibel to
see if it is translatede right or not.

If I have OO installed om my computer could I se where the text is in the
program - based on the po filename and the path of the file?

R5s
John

--
/* My sites:
http://bedreit.dk
Indspark.blogspot.com
Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

John Rudolf H. Rask
*From the helptext:* Hvis, for eksempel, du har et regneark til varer
identificeret ved varenumre, og et regneark til kunder hvor du noterer alle
varer som en kunde bestiller ved at bruge de tilsvarende varenumre, så er
der et forhold mellem de to \"artikelnummer\" datafelter. Hvis du nu ønsker
at oprette en forespørgsel som returnerer alle varer som en kunde har
bestilt, skal du hente data fra to regneark. For at gøre dette, skal du
fortælle $[officename] hvilken sammenhæng der eksisterer mellem data i de
to regneark.

I have correted the word "artikler" to "varer" which I think is a more
common word, but the question is whenever I also have to modify the
code \"artikelnummer\" to \"varenummer\"

--
/* My sites:
http://bedreit.dk
Indspark.blogspot.com
Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

On 10/18/12, John Rudolf H. Rask <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The missing context of the translated text sometimes makes it impossibel to
> see if it is translatede right or not.
>
> If I have OO installed om my computer could I se where the text is in the
> program - based on the po filename and the path of the file?

Not really, thats why is important to have a good knowledge of the
application. There was a version that will show you the string ID:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/KeyID_Build

There is also the use and application of Mnemonics
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Mnemonics_Localisation

Some previous stuff is already written (outdated or not)
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Testing_my_translation
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Sanity_Check_Of_L10n_Builds

The 'new' process before the Oracle breakup was something called
'Continious l10n' which allowed localizers to be able to get
pre-release builds so there could be a visual confirmation of the
strings.
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/ContinuousL10n

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Is there anyone left who feels "responsible" for l10n.openoffice.org, if
not I will give it a go, since it is in the scope of what I work on.

The steps suggested seems quite fair, however I do not know who consult
with ?

jan

On 18 October 2012 15:46, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have already put links in place, both on the localization page and on
> the
> > original (not old :) ) document.
> >
> > It is now updated with you snippet.
>
> Since we are in this topic there is also another branch that would
> need to be updated -- eventually. Which is the l10n.openoffice.org
> website. This was updated back in 2010 and most of the update process
> was documented here:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/L10n_Web_Pages_Reloaded
>
> We should use this docs as a framework to see in what stages we want
> to update the infromation and also to what extend. There is still a
> lot of infrastructure to be done specially on QA-Testing and release
> sync.
>

> > jan

> us
> >> in

> >> the
> >>
> >> Is called transitional period. It seems Apache people dont want to
> >> deal with PHP, something that Sun didn't mind as much. So most
> >> infrastructure (Mediawiki, PHPBBs, Drupal) are in a virtual
> >> environment at the moment.
> >>
> >> Multiple logins have always been an issue in OOo as a whole, the idea
> >> of implementing OpenID came out several times, but many people didnt
> >> seem to mind just having multiple accounts, so it never gained
> >> traction.
> >>
> >> Now at apache, doesnt seem that different except for pootle that share
> >> your commit credentials with http://people.apache.org but neither
> >> forums, extensions or cwiki share these credentials.

> >> Again this should be included in MWiki IMO so there is no 'old
> >> localization' and 'new localization'. I suggest a good start would be
> >> to create links between them and mark outdated information as such.
> >> MWiki had special tags for this.

> >> padding: 4px; text-align: left; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom:
> >> 20px;">
> >> [[image:documentation_exclamation.png|40px]] This article is outdated.

> >> be

>  Behind

> >> --
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Yes I would do that, to have a consistent translation.

If you change a term in the help, it is important also to change it in the
UI files, otherwise end-users get confused when reading help and not being
able to find it in the system.

have a nice day
Jan

On 18 October 2012 16:23, John Rudolf H. Rask <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *From the helptext:* Hvis, for eksempel, du har et regneark til varer
> identificeret ved varenumre, og et regneark til kunder hvor du noterer alle
> varer som en kunde bestiller ved at bruge de tilsvarende varenumre, så er
> der et forhold mellem de to \"artikelnummer\" datafelter. Hvis du nu ønsker
> at oprette en forespørgsel som returnerer alle varer som en kunde har
> bestilt, skal du hente data fra to regneark. For at gøre dette, skal du
> fortælle $[officename] hvilken sammenhæng der eksisterer mellem data i de
> to regneark.
>
> I have correted the word "artikler" to "varer" which I think is a more
> common word, but the question is whenever I also have to modify the
> code \"artikelnummer\" to \"varenummer\"
>
> R5s
> John
>
> 2012/10/18 John Rudolf H. Rask <[hidden email]>
>
> > The missing context of the translated text sometimes makes it impossibel
> > to see if it is translatede right or not.
> >
> > If I have OO installed om my computer could I se where the text is in the
> > program - based on the po filename and the path of the file?
> >
> > R5s
> > John
> >
> > 2012/10/18 John Rudolf H. Rask <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Does <caseinline select=\"MAC\">Æble</caseinline> mean that this
> >> translation also works at mac computers?
> >>
> >> Asta luego
> >> John

> pain

> idea

> share

> describing

> be

> outdated.

> that

> on
> support.
> information
> think
> pages,

> >> --
> >> /* My sites:
> >> http://bedreit.dk
> >> Indspark.blogspot.com
> >> Raskdiscover.blogspot.com
> >>

> > --
> > /* My sites:
> > http://bedreit.dk
> > Indspark.blogspot.com
> > Raskdiscover.blogspot.com
> >

> --
> /* My sites:
> http://bedreit.dk
> Indspark.blogspot.com
> Raskdiscover.blogspot.com

Question about <caseinline> (was:)Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Dick Groskamp
Op 18-10-2012 15:54, John Rudolf H. Rask schreef:
> Does <caseinline select=\"MAC\">Æble</caseinline> mean that this
> translation also works at mac computers?
>
> Asta luego
> John
It does. The Helpfile makes a choice here:

If the systtem is a MAC-machine show  <caseinline
select=\"MAC\">Æble</caseinline>
If the systtem is a Windows-machine show  <caseinline
select=\"WIN\">Æble</caseinline>
(where I did not change the translation of "Æble", so the text is the
same on Mac and WIN.)

You will probably find most of these cases where use of the Ctrl-key (On
Windows) and Command-key or Apple-key (on MAC)
is involved, because where Ctrl is commonly used on Windows the jeys
Command and Apple are on MAC

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there anyone left who feels "responsible" for l10n.openoffice.org, if
> not I will give it a go, since it is in the scope of what I work on.
>
> The steps suggested seems quite fair, however I do not know who consult
> with ?

l10n was directed by Rafaela Braconi who was a Sun/Oracle employee so
most of the direction got lost there. Most of the process was
concerted with the engineers like Eike Rathke and Pavel Janik which
deal with the l10n cws. I think Pavel still around, but not very
active lately.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is now updated with you snippet.
>
> jan

Actually the snippet is an error, since is in HTML and should be on
native wiki code. Wiki use templates which are syntaxis like {{ }}

{{Documentation/Tip|<Insert_text_here>}}

[SNIP]

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I had a deeper look there and got one good question.

Why do we keep l10n.openoffice.org ?

It would be easier to use the l10n page in wiki, combine it with
information from l10n.openOffice.org and the localize wiki page.

Just as a side remark, that would make it possible for me and others to
contribute.

jan

On 18 October 2012 18:07, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there anyone left who feels "responsible" for l10n.openoffice.org, if
> > not I will give it a go, since it is in the scope of what I work on.
> >
> > The steps suggested seems quite fair, however I do not know who consult
> > with ?
>
> l10n was directed by Rafaela Braconi who was a Sun/Oracle employee so
> most of the direction got lost there. Most of the process was
> concerted with the engineers like Eike Rathke and Pavel Janik which
> deal with the l10n cws. I think Pavel still around, but not very
> active lately.
>

> > jan

> on
> >> the

> >> Since we are in this topic there is also another branch that would
> >> need to be updated -- eventually. Which is the l10n.openoffice.org
> >> website. This was updated back in 2010 and most of the update process
> >> was documented here:
> >> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/L10n_Web_Pages_Reloaded
> >>
> >> We should use this docs as a framework to see in what stages we want
> >> to update the infromation and also to what extend. There is still a
> >> lot of infrastructure to be done specially on QA-Testing and release
> >> sync.

> getting
> >> us

> share

> describing

> outdated.

> >>  Behind

> on
> information
> think
> pages,

> >> --
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had a deeper look there and got one good question.
>
> Why do we keep l10n.openoffice.org ?

Wiki is to work, website is the front of the project. Most projects
just keep 2 or 3 pages on the www while having many on the wiki.
Usually people enter through the www and then redirect to the wiki
eventually. (likewise u will think on Apache.org ->
openoffice.apache.org) However OOo probably has more visibility than
Apache in the real world.

Static content such as processes, FAQ, and others were kept on the
www. While more dynamic information like Translating campaigns for
each version releases are on the wiki. Translating campaigns like:
Release 3.4

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
You are quite right.

But then I will have a hard time helping to change l10n.openoffice.org,
even though it would be nice to get it done.

jan.

On 18 October 2012 18:31, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I had a deeper look there and got one good question.
> >
> > Why do we keep l10n.openoffice.org ?
>
> Wiki is to work, website is the front of the project. Most projects
> just keep 2 or 3 pages on the www while having many on the wiki.
> Usually people enter through the www and then redirect to the wiki
> eventually. (likewise u will think on Apache.org ->
> openoffice.apache.org) However OOo probably has more visibility than
> Apache in the real world.
>
> Static content such as processes, FAQ, and others were kept on the
> www. While more dynamic information like Translating campaigns for
> each version releases are on the wiki. Translating campaigns like:
> Release 3.4
>

> > It would be easier to use the l10n page in wiki, combine it with
> > information from l10n.openOffice.org and the localize wiki page.
> >
> > Just as a side remark, that would make it possible for me and others to
> > contribute.
> >
> > jan

> consult
> >>
> >> l10n was directed by Rafaela Braconi who was a Sun/Oracle employee so
> >> most of the direction got lost there. Most of the process was
> >> concerted with the engineers like Eike Rathke and Pavel Janik which
> >> deal with the l10n cws. I think Pavel still around, but not very
> >> active lately.

> and
> >> on

> >> getting

> >> share

> >> describing

> such.

> >> outdated.

> want

> there

> Infrastructure

> focus
> >> on
> >> information
> >> think
> >> pages,

> >> --
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
Well the process is not that hard, just need to do a site checkout.
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html

If you are on linux, installing subversion-client will do and checkout

svn co http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n/
localization

A GUI app for KDE is kdesvn and for gnome is RapidSVN and windows
there is TortoiseSVN.

Basically is a file explorer where you are able to update commit and
check the history of the file.

will do.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
I just learned something :-)

I run windows7 for my "administrative" work, like browsing, but have ubuntu
12.04 installed in virtualbox, together with a AOO trunk, where I do some
development.

I just did not know that the www was also in SVN, brilliant idea !

I will do svn co imitatively, and play with changes.

That is no good, I get an error message from svn saying that the repository
is permanently relocated to <same address>, please relocate ?

my svn works, because I have done several source updates today due to a
compile problem.

The commit will have to go through a committer, but that is not a problem.

jan I.

On 18 October 2012 18:54, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 10/18/12, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just learned something :-)
>
> I run windows7 for my "administrative" work, like browsing, but have ubuntu
> 12.04 installed in virtualbox, together with a AOO trunk, where I do some
> development.
>
> I just did not know that the www was also in SVN, brilliant idea !
>
> I will do svn co imitatively, and play with changes.
>
> That is no good, I get an error message from svn saying that the repository
> is permanently relocated to <same address>, please relocate ?

I might have messed up on the SVN URL Use the ooo-site trunk instead
of the main/trunk. (you will get all the projects so you can halt once
you get the trunk and just update the l10n folder).
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/

and l10n is here
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/l10n/

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Alexandro Colorado-4
FYI, this is the 10 foot view of the l10n www project:

.:root folder
about-the-project.html
adding_language.html
all_supported_languages.html
build_env_changes.sxw
download/
extract_merge.html
how-to-join.html
how-to-join.html~
i18n_framework/
index.html
index.html~
index_old.html
irc-channel.html
L10N_Framework/
l10n_style.css
languages.html
languages.sxc
localization/
mailing-lists.html
mailing-lists.html~
ooo_readme_how_to.sxw
reloaded/
robots.txt
textattr.src.out.txt
textattr.src.sdf.txt
textattr.src.txt
Universal_i18n_framework.pdf

./download:
en-GB.html
quickdl.js*

./i18n_framework:
cldr/
CTL_Feature_Priorisation.html
Grid_layout_for_CJK.html
Grid_layout_for_CJK_html_22133b8d.gif
Grid_layout_for_CJK_html_4a176f2e.gif
Grid_layout_for_CJK_html_734c5f8a.gif
Grid_layout_for_CJK_html_m680d2ef6.gif
HowToAddEncoding.html
HowToAddLocaleInI18n.html
index.html
IUC19_I18n_Framework.pdf
LocaleData.html
Open-sourcing_i18n_framework.html
Paragraph_Alignment.gif
Vertical_Writing_in_Calc.html
Vertical_Writing_in_Calc_html_35155795.gif
Vertical_Writing_in_Calc_html_m1a237ea2.png
Vertical_Writing_in_Calc_html_m72f34545.gif
Vertical_writing_in_Writer.html
Vertical_writing_in_Writer_html_4c2567ee.gif
Vertical_writing_in_Writer_html_51cc6311.gif
Vertical_writing_in_Writer_html_m1ed87497.gif
Vertical_writing_in_Writer_html_m349cc61e.gif
Vertical_writing_in_Writer_html_m621fddc1.gif

./i18n_framework/cldr:
LocaleDataAudit_OOo202.html
LocaleDataAudit_OOo_CLDR.html

./L10N_Framework:
Examples.inv/
Getting_milestone_workspaces.html
How_to_localize_and_build_OpenOffice.html
How_to_localize_documents_of_the_extras_module.html
index.html
Intermediate_file_format.html
iso_code_build2.html
ooo20/
Switching_to_newer_workspaces.html

./L10N_Framework/Examples.inv:
Language_49_as_source_and_fallback.txt

./L10N_Framework/ooo20:
Collation_in_ooo_2.0.html
config_options_in_ooo_2.0.html
how_to_patch.html
index.html
localization_checklist_2.0.html
localization_of_openoffice_2.0.html
localization_tips.html
oo2.0_program_translation.html
oo_images/
openoffice_locale_.html
template.xml
translate.html

./L10N_Framework/ooo20/oo_images:
image001.jpg
imageCVS2.jpg

./localization:
About_TCM.html
English_Greek_OOo_Glossary.htm
English_Russian_OOo_Glossary.htm
English_Serbian_OOo_Glossary.htm
extras/
G11n_and_DE_OOo.odp*
L10n_pilotprocess.html*
L10n_testplan.html
MultiLanguage_OO_Glossary.sdc
OOO_l10n.sxw
OpenOffice_Glossary.html
OpenOffice.org_en-US_Glossary.csv*
translation.html*
Translation_Process_technical_overview_v4-1.odp*
Translation_Process_technical_overview_v4-2.odp*
Translation_Tips.html

./localization/extras:
How-To_Manual_OOo-Extras.odt*

./reloaded:
how-to-join.html
index.html
irc-channel.html
l10n_style.css
mailing-lists.html

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

jan iversen
Got it, thanks.

Layout should be the same, just a real content update.

And after todays news, I can also remove incubator, while I am at it :-)

have a nice evening.
jan

On 18 October 2012 19:15, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> that

> as

> >> Wiki,

> in

> thread)
> >> matters
> better

> >> projects.
> >> extensions

> >> experiences:
> we
>  But
> >> clean.
> easily

> >> --
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

Now I understand why rob looked for volunteers to remove incubator :-)

But split among a couple of people remove incubator would be a long evening.

jan.

On 18 October 2012 19:21, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> that

> as

> >> Wiki,

> in

> thread)
> >> matters
> better

> >> projects.
> >> extensions

> >> experiences:
> we
>  But
> >> clean.
> easily

> >> --
> >> Alexandro Colorado
> >> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> >> http://es.openoffice.org
> >>

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Tracking translation volunteers on the wiki

at least thanks to svn, you can just do a recursive grep and even some
sed to do the search and replace across the file tree. :)

But at the moment l10n doesnt even show incubator, still pointing to
the old [hidden email] ML

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice