Re: Why the change to the OpenOffice document icons?

Re: Why the change to the OpenOffice document icons?

brian
I've managed to download the older OpenOffice icons. I'm having trouble replacing them.Does anybody know how to replace the default icons for a File Type under Windows 7? Apparently m$ has decided to remove that capability from their Windows Explorer program.I figure that perhaps others may have performed this action for OpenOffice document icons, plus my this answer would benefit other users. Third party programs might be required.Thanks,- Brian   ----- Original Message -----From: "" >;[hidden email]

RE: Why the change to the OpenOffice document icons?

>I've managed to download the older OpenOffice icons. I'm having trouble replacing them.Does anybody know how to replace the default icons for a File Type under Windows 7? Apparently m$ has decided to remove that >capability from their Windows Explorer program.I figure that perhaps others may have performed this action for OpenOffice document icons, plus my this answer would benefit other users. Third party programs might be >required.

Actually you CAN download the default ("old") OOo icon set which is what I did.  You can't fully replace the icons in the programs themselves without a resource editor or compiling it from the source yourself (a nifty advantage of open source if you're into that sort of thing).  Editing the file types through the control panel also works. That does assume you're using Windoze though.  If you have Linux then hopefully there's something similar. But you said you use Windoze 7 like I do.   I guess they're trying to confuse people by making all the icons look the same.  With them being colour coded you can identify a file type at a glance. Now you have to look a little closer.  This isn't the first time I came up with such an "improvement" and I fear it won't be the last.  I guess a lot of people are into that.  Office 2010 icons are of similar design but they are at least different colours.