Re: hyphenation and replacement

Peter B. West-2
Ruud,

László would be the one to answer that. The original program that was
used to generate hyphenation pattern files is PATGEN. If I recall
correctly, he has a modified version that handles spelling
modifications. How extensive is the list of modified words in Dutch?

In the past, the only way TeX was able to handle re-spelling
hyphenations was for the author to include specific "discretionary
hyphens" in the text. It could not be done automatically. Does the 1995
list provide for re-spelling?

Peter

r.j.baars wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the info. Seems rather complex to me.
>
> I would expect any of these programs to just accept an input list of
> words with correct hyphenations in some format like:
> botsautootjes: bots-au-too=to-tjes, generating all possibilites for the
> word.
>
> Is there a format like this? In that case, i could rater easily generate
> one ...
>
> By the way, ther is already an existing pattern file for 'old' (1995
> standard) Dutch. It's already used in Dutch OOO and Tex.
> You can also find it at http://www.ntg.nl/spelling/
>
> Ruud
>
> Peter B. West schreef:
>> r.j.baars wrote:
>>
>>> Most of the time, hyphenation is 'just' inserting a dash. But not
>>> always.
>>>
>>> For Dutch breaking botsautootje is correct like bots-autootje and
>>> botsauto-tje, the latter one by modificating the word.
>>> The same happens in words like geïnd, which should be
>>> hyphenated(presented) as ge-ind.
>>>
>>> I can think of two ways to handle these situations :
>>> 1) stopping the hyphenations at these locations (simple but not elegant)
>>> 2) modifying the word during hyphenation, but keeping the 'normal' form